Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My insurance dropped hormones

Started by BeverlyAnn, February 13, 2017, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeverlyAnn

I got a call from my pharmacy today telling me Express Scripts dropped estradiol from their formulary and I have to get prior approval which is rarely granted. 
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Dena

Look into Silver Script. I haven't used it for that because they are so cheap but some hormones are covered in the formulary.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Devlyn

My insurance hasn't paid for any of my tests or meds. I'm on Massachusetts' "You're single and white, you get nothing" plan.  >:(

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Hope springs

Sorry BeverlyAnn. If it makes you feel better my plan has a paragraph on the back of their book that essentially says ' nothing trans related is covered. I hear the GoodRx web site has good deals and some pharmacy chains have deep discounts if you sign up for their annual membership.
  •  

FTMax

Download the GoodRx app for your phone. You can put in the exact medicine you're looking to get filled, and it will tell you what the cash price is at all of the pharmacies around you so you can choose the cheapest one. They also have coupons for some meds. It was cheaper to use my insurance for my hormones, but cheaper to use the GoodRx coupons for the meds I needed for surgery. Highly recommend checking it out.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Deborah

I'm not currently using it but I do have Express Scripts available to me.  I logged in and checked the formulary and both estrace and a generic are available.  Only estrace requires a Dr's letter; the generic does not.

Unless they use different formularies for TRICARE people.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

josie76

My insurance has a line that states " coverage for sexual transformation and erectile disfunction are excluded even if medically nessecary " , then way at the bottom it says " except where required by law".

I have yet to test the last line. I expect it to be an issue but I'd be pleasantly surprised if HRT slips through.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

JeanetteLW

Here in Oregon insurance companies are required by law to provide trans medical services. Since the VA is federal it does not apply to them. The VA does howeve provide pre and post surgical care, HRT and non-surgical medically necessary services including therapy.
  •  

Deborah

If you do end up paying out of pocket though it's pretty inexpensive at Walmart.  I did that for a year before I figured out my insurance would pay.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

patrick1967

I have to second Max on the Good RX. He recommendded it to me and cut my testosterone in half price wise
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: Deborah on February 13, 2017, 08:37:20 PM
I'm not currently using it but I do have Express Scripts available to me.  I logged in and checked the formulary and both estrace and a generic are available.  Only estrace requires a Dr's letter; the generic does not.

Unless they use different formularies for TRICARE people.

Mine is through the Insurance Trust for Delta Retirees as Medicare Part D so there is no telling.  On a Delta retirees Facebook page a lot of people have been complaining about changes this year.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

AshleyP

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on February 13, 2017, 07:25:44 PM
I got a call from my pharmacy today telling me Express Scripts dropped estradiol from their formulary and I have to get prior approval which is rarely granted.

Shop the price around. When buying a 90 supply, I pay a little over $6/month for my estradiol, out of pocket with no insurance. Avoid Walgreen's when paying out out of pocket, imho.

All the best,
--AshleyP
  •