Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is developing a singing voice similar to developing a speaking voice?

Started by Blackwaters427, February 09, 2017, 04:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackwaters427

Hello everyone! I was wondering how one would go about developing a feminine singing voice in addition to a regular speaking voice. Is it kind of the same concept? I ask because I think what the trans community, as well as the entire world, needs is more trans metal bands. I'm wanting to develop my voice somewhere in between these two ranges:

Semblant - What Lies Ahead

Eyes of Eden - Star
Begin drifting, defy the laws of gravity
Stare at the sun, challenging all reality
The glass door to my soul is shattering
The bridges to my past are collapsing
I feel new energy, This is my quickening
Transcending to a new dimension

Fire From the Gods - "End Transmission"

•  

Inarasarah

Hi,

I can tell you what Dr Kim at Yeson told me about retraining my brain following VFS.  He recommended starting with the voice, since different parts of our brains are used for speaking and singing.  So his recommendation to me to start retraining my singing voice was to wait at least 6 months after surgery.

Relaying this to your situation, you can certainly train your feminine singing voice, but it might not have that much impact on your feminine speaking voice.  Best wishes to you in developing your voice.

-Sarah
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Blackwaters427 on February 09, 2017, 04:53:08 AMI think what the trans community, as well as the entire world, needs is more trans metal bands.

As a huge fan of Within Temptation, Delain, Epica, Nightwish, Halestorm, Lita Ford, etc... I am totally on board with the world needing more metal (or at least hard rock) bands with strong female lead singers.  If they're also trans, awesome.  I say you should give it a try.

Personally I would love to be able to belt out a tune like Sharon Den Adel...

Not really relevant to your question, just a bit of a ME TOO! tangent moment.  But I am also quite interested in this subject.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Lady_Oracle

Yes the training is similar the thing is that voice training vs vocal training has different focuses in terms of goals. With voice training you're actively focusing on achieving a natural speaking voice where as with vocal training its more about finding your range and understanding how to match tone/key with whatever it is you're playing music with. So basically taking the core principles from singing training will give you insight and help a bunch in your own voice training. You can't really skip straight into singing in a female pitch, especially metal singing when your base/natural voice isn't strong enough to achieve such a range. Its better to work on refining your natural voice first then work on the singing part else its going to be a lot more difficult than it needs to be in achieving your ultimate goal.
  •  

DawnOday

You may want to use a tool. I suggest downloading a guitar tuner. Da Tuner works for me for voice as well. It helps establish pitch and you can monitor it to see if you are within range as you practice.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Rambler

There's basically two methods for developing a feminine voice. The first, which many find far less effective is essentially to use the 'mini mouse' voice and learn how to make a natural sound by working your pitch downward and toying with inflection and tone. The other, which most professionals and successful transwomen will tell you is far more effective, is very similar to vocal training. My voice coach in Chicago has described finding a feminine voice to essentially be learning how to sing in a very subtle manner by learning how to find tune your pitch, tone, inflections, etc. After just over a month and 3 lessons, I feel like my voice has made a ton of progress. I definitely don't think I sound feminine yet, though I have had a few moments where I feel like I sort of got it ever so briefly, but I can already feel more control over my voice and my range whether I'm holding normal conversation, practicing my lessons, or singing in the car. So the short answer is yes, but I imagine learning how to actually sing sounding naturally feminine would be a whole other step up in difficulty. But, when there's a will, there's a way!
Up and away and off I go to lose my mind and find my soul.
  •  

MrsSmith

I really dont think it can be done. I have a very passable femme voice, but whenever I sing it comes out raw and powerful and i have no idea how to make it sound feminine, but i've also been in hard rock bands all my life. I can practice my female singing voice, but it just doesn't sound as good on tape as my full power voice.
Free thinker, badass, 2nd amendment supporter, musician, mechanic, Jesus loving, Trump Supporting, Patriotic woman
  •