Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

im worried about my wife and finding a job

Started by Tiffanysgirl, February 25, 2017, 07:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanysgirl

We live in a very rural community, not really sure how acceoting anyone out here is. We are below the poverty line with just my income. Im worried about her being able to find work out here during transition. Even before beginning she did not have much luck. Anyone have stories or advice?
Would calling businesses in advance and asking be helpful?
  •  

jgravitt01

There are companies that will support and protect her out there depending on her commute to a larger metro area. There's always work from home options if she's handy with a computer.
I believe there are options depending on the general area in which you live.
There are many ladies on Susan's Place with a larger knowledge base than I but I wanted you to know that we're here.
Good luck!
-Jaime

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  •  

Denise

Can you give a hint on your geographic region?  Someone may know someone.
1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Dena

Unfortunately it has been over 8 years and the economy is still suffering. In the Phoenix area we are still seeing relatively high unemployment rates unless you work in the technical area. The only advice I can provide is job hunting is a 40+ hour a week job until you find employment. At this point, look for anything you can find that will get your foot in the door. You might try practice interviews with her so she can iron out any interview issues she might have. An example might be not presenting strong enough or to strong in the interview. It might also help her become more comfortable when she receives an interview.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

cheryl reeves

There is plenty of work in Texas we were never touched by the recession actually we seen job growth being a deep red state helped Texas thrive while other states suffered due to democratic liberal policies which chased businesses to Texas.
  •  

RobynD

There are a lot of pretty accepting companies and organizations now.

While you are doing your job search you may also want to consider some sort of independent way to make money. Sell/represent a product line, buy things at yard sales and try to sell them on EBay for a profit, do contract work, tutor students, teach English as a second language etc. Who knows you may find you have a business at some point and will not need to depend on others for work.

•  

2.B.Dana

When the financial collapse happened our family lost everything. Two franchised businesses, cars, home, money -everything. Without the good will offered by people I had done business with and our local church our family would have been destitute. I started another business and as I had done once in the past used it to get in the door of a company and get a good job. After two years and some restructuring I found myself on the street again.  I had always told my kids that if you are ever out of work and it seems like nowhere else to turn, "clean". Someone is willing to hire you for that.
We rounded up some funds by selling a few things and moved back to my home state to be around family and began cleaning. I made lots of mistakes but kept moving forward and ended up employing my wife and kids as well. In the years since I have tapered way back to just the work I can do myself because I can't get anyone to work in this industry. That does create security for the ones willing to clean because, dirt happens.
It is a line of work that can be learned on Youtube and on the job with plenty of online info on how to make it work. Just passing forward what I learned, and dollar store has everything you need to get started.
Good Luck,
Dana

ps, I am in a rural area as well
Cheers,

Dana

•  

Denise

Quote from: Tiffanysgirl on February 25, 2017, 12:56:09 PM
Were in southwest ohio.
Miami university or Dayton.  Take anything, get in the door and move up.  Look to the diversity group.
1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

JeanetteLW

Times are indeed difficult still.  And probably more so in the rural areas. I can only echo what's been said by others, Keep up the search, take what you can and persevere until something better comes along.
   As an older computer technician I found it impossible to find a full time position after I was laid off from a company I had worked at over 25 years. I could only find intermittent contract work of short duration.
   In a way the return of my kidney cancer was a godsend in that it put me on disability with enough income to cover my bills. It also qualified me for medicare and  forced me to get registered with the VA.  Otherwise I may have wound up on the streets myself by now.

Keep the hopes up, do the footwork and eventually something will come along.

Hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

cheryl reeves

Because I never been picky that's why I never had problems finding work,the part time job I been doing for 6 yrs came looking for me and now I'm a 10 dollar and hr dishwasher which is unheard of around these parts and the owner admits I'm worth more but can't afford to pay me.
  •