Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What is it about the devil?

Started by Amanda_Combs, October 17, 2016, 09:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_Combs

I've read many posts on the internet made by trans* people. I've noticed that it seems they semi-frequently make use of satanic imagery.  And as for myself, I am very drawn to satanic/daemonic/ dark themes as well.  At my least grounded in reality, I have briefly had the genuine belief that I am lucifer or am possessed by demons. And I am a Christian; so this is very troubling.

What I want to know is this... Has anyone else noticed this?  What do you think the reason is?  Maybe feelings of guilt or shame?  How related is it to religious upbringing?(My upbringing was very centered around religion, almost cult-like) and most importantly, what helps with feeling like an innately evil being?
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

Michelle_P

Growing up in an environment that insists any hint of gender questioning, non-cisgender identity, or expression of a desire to change genders is wrong, sinful, and a Work of Satan might have something to do with it.

If one is told often enough that the feelings held deep inside are evil and to be denied, and one can't really deny them, then the conclusion one draws is that they are in fact evil. 

It's a natural consequence of being a transgender person raised in a transphobic, religion oriented culture.

What seems to help is trying to isolate where our feeling of wrongness, that is, where the feeling that being a transgender person is wrong, originates from. I can trace mine back to certain incidents in a private religious school that left a mark on me.  Knowing that the idea that what I am is 'evil' is an opinion forced on me by others in positions of authority helped.  I was able to isolate and redirect that sense of wrongness onto their authoritarian transphobia.  That is, I'm not evil.  The authority figures that beat that idea into me are evil.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Devlyn

The correct spelling is "Devyl"  >:-)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Amanda_Combs

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 18, 2016, 06:43:34 AM

Hugs, Devlyn

See what I mean?!?
Ha!  You're the best!  [emoji38]
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

DawnOday

To me it seems like children who smoke cigarettes specifically because they have been told not to. If you have been religious all your life, you have been told no. All of this is somebody else's interpretation of a document and they pawn it off as Gospel. I was told I could not do something many more times. than being told I could. It gets kind of old after a while and Lucifer seems much more appealing.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Amanda_Combs on October 18, 2016, 12:20:38 PM

Hugs, Devlyn

See what I mean?!?
Ha!  You're the best!  [emoji38]

Living up to stereotypes...just another service I offer!  ;D
  •  

Kylo

I haven't noticed lots of Satanic or devil imagery in the community, but have noticed that trans people are more than familiar with the concept of being cast out from society, as well as being called sinners and deviants, just for existing or for trying to transition.

If the imagery is there it might be genuine/generalized interest in the occult among some people (like myself) but I would bet some of the embracing of it would be ironic or humorous too.

I did once encounter a trans individual who claimed they actually were a demon, but this person behaved much like a troll. That's about the extent of my knowledge of a trans person who used a lot of devil imagery and constantly referred to it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Lady Sarah

I get the impression that the same things that lead trans folk to the dark side are the same things that make them deny the existence of a deity. Having anything to do with LGBTI is so horrendous to certain religious and political leaders, that it just creates outrage. In short, those particular leaders are doing the devil's work.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

rmaddy

A little sympathy...at least the devil was pleased to meet me once I guessed his name.
  •  

Cassi

Hugs, Devlyn

Devlyn types in twisted letters!  Get thee behind me Devyl!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

One offered knowledge.  The other gave death.  Who is the bad guy in that story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Cassi

This thread is going to give me nightmares!

I'm already seeing in my mind's eye visions of a 1960's horror movie now renamed:

"Trans Brides Of Satan"
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

Sympathy for the Devil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •