Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Tightening the stomach/gut

Started by Artesia, May 09, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artesia

What are some good exercises to tighten the gut?  I've just started with crunches, but I want more options.  I've thought about using a waist cincher, but that would be a short term item, as I don't think it will permanently slim the waist.  Would that help in the overall tightening process?
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Katiepie

I dont know how to describe it too well, but just take a deep breath in, while focusing on abdominal breathing, and basically when your abdomen area comes in when you breath out, try and keep it remaining in.
If you can just try doing that every now and again then it would become second nature to not let it go. I've just been doing it so long I forget half the time, and if I ever try and let my tummy out and to stay out, it kinda becomes a big bother between uncomfortable to slight pain.

Edit: Exercise wise, you can't really isolate train specific muscles if you could just do a lot of cardio, and do a semi full body regime. Basic strength core exercises include squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press.
But if you specifically would be curious on more core training, I would suggest cardio within yoga or pilates, if you want to go the more traditional gym style, you would want to do crunches, oblique (side) raises, planks, squats.. You could also incorporate good core structure within push ups, leg lifts, deadlifts, etc... And remember to get in cardio, so it will maintain more of a lean/toned muscle rather than bulky muscle tone. I would recommend cardio before strength training, and then a lesser but not quite cool down cardio afterwards. As a motto within heavy lifters would never recommend cardio after a workout session, especially when they want those gains.

Kate <3
My life motto: Wake Up and BE Awesome!

"Every minute of your life that you allow someone to dictate your emotions, is a minute of your life you are allowing them to control you." - a dear friend of mine.

Stay true to yourself no matter the consequence, for this is your life, your decision, your trust in which will shape your future. Believe in yourself, if you don't then no one will.
  •  

smittydoyle

PLANKS! ohhh I'm addicted to planks. You will feel 'em!
  •  

rochyrob

Google "The Stomach Vacuum Exercise"

•  

Geeker

Flutter kicks, various types of sit ups, planks, high knees, russian twists... just off the top of my head.
I'm not out, I'm not on E, unless things change I doubt I ever will be.
  •  

Miss Clara

I have looked into this  If your stomach protrudes even after weight loss or liposuction of fat from the belly, it could be a sign of diastasis recti.  This condition, a lateral separation of the ab muscles, is common in women after giving birth, but can also have other causes like being very overweight, or from normal aging.  Exercises can help to correct the condition, but in many cases surgery is needed.  The surgical procedure is commonly called a "tummy tuck" with or without liposuction.  The tough membrane (fascia) that covers the abdominal muscles (six pack) is tightened from the xyphoid process to, and continuing below, the belly button with permanent sutures, closing the gap between the abs.  Think of it as being like an internal corset.  The effect is to flatten the abdomen and produce a more defined waist.  The operation takes about 2 hours under general anesthesia and costs in the neighborhood of $13,000 in the US. 
  •  

Scorpio2Scorpia

Quote from: Geeker on February 20, 2017, 10:43:53 PM
Flutter kicks, various types of sit ups, planks, high knees, russian twists... just off the top of my head.

As former infantry, I will tell you this about sums it up. Keep in mind though, depending on how far along in transitioning you are, fat is burned differently, and no matter what, cardiovascular to burn fat is the key. A problem with most men trying to get lean/fit (I speak from pre anything point of view here), is when trying to gain abs/tighten stomach, not enough fat is burned first, so the muscles build under the fat, making the belly seem fatter. Once muscle is built under fatty tissue, it is almost impossible to burn the fat, because our muscles will absorb the protein and carbs from whatever your diet is. I am not a professional trainer, but physical fitness and diet was a concern of mine while in service  (I was National Guard, and a platoon Sgt of a training unit). Just do research, talk to anyone you can for advice/input, and even talk to your GP  (if they are aware of your transition already, and your goals).

Good luck ;D
  •  

Dani

I had a tummy tuck about 3 months ago. Yes it flattened my abs, but, unfortunately, I am still a little swollen and it will be several more months of exercise in the waist area to reduce my waist. I am looking into corset training, but it does seem to take years to see results.
  •  

Scorpio2Scorpia

Quote from: Dani on March 08, 2017, 06:38:13 PM
I had a tummy tuck about 3 months ago. Yes it flattened my abs, but, unfortunately, I am still a little swollen and it will be several more months of exercise in the waist area to reduce my waist. I am looking into corset training, but it does seem to take years to see results.

I had my appendix removed over a decade ago, I know that little incision knicked me down for 6 weeks. As for the corset training, it doesn't take that long before results are noticable (I bought my wife one after she did research on what she wanted, and she started showing it pretty soon with diet/exercise). I recommend getting a leather (good to high quality one) and make sure it has steel bands in it. I'm still learning the rules of the boards, so I can tell you the company she ordered it from but not link it (if I am correct) if you'd like. It didn't cost that much, and we even talked about getting me one as I get to the point I'm ready on my journey.
  •  

Deborah

Believe it or not running a lot alone will tighten your abs.  This is because of all the work they do in stabilizing your torso during movement.  Adding some specific abdominal exercises will add some definition as the fat covering them gets thinner.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

flytrap

Quote from: Katiepie on May 10, 2016, 01:08:58 AM
I dont know how to describe it too well, but just take a deep breath in, while focusing on abdominal breathing, and basically when your abdomen area comes in when you breath out, try and keep it remaining in.
Kate <3

It's a yoga technique called Muhla Bandha. You can read more here http://www.ashtangayogachikitsa.com/press-interviews/exploring-the-bandhas/
  •  

TimothyDawson

Try going to gym or do simple exercises at home.
  •  

Deborah

If by tightening the gut we mean making the stomach flatter then my recent experience shows that simply losing weight (fat) will accomplish this by itself.  As the fat, particularly the visceral fat, is burned off, the stomach protrudes less and becomes flatter.  Exercise on top of that adds muscular definition.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •