Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Eletrolysis AND laser less than 48 hours apart..?

Started by Angela Drakken, January 27, 2017, 10:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki Knight

Hey Girls, great info in this thread. I start laser next week and have a girl to start electrolysis shortly after. I have very sensitive skin so Im a little panicked as to what may occur. The idea of witch hazel etc was something I hadn't considered so great tips. Thx so much!

I am lucky in one way. As a kid I was in a fire and burnt most of the hair follicles on both checks so I grow maybe 20 hairs on each side. Moustache and chin areas are 50/50 dark brown and grey and I have a bit of hair growth on the neck. Egad this is the part of transition that freaks me out the most. Pain and I don't do well together. LOL maybe a stiff drink before hand but realize I just have to buck up and get her done.

Thx ladies and will keep you posted.

Hugg's Niki
  •  

staciM

^ hi Niki, nice to see another girl from Alberta on here...I'm in Calgary.

Fwiw, an hour before my appointment I take two Ibuprofen and apply a few generous coats of EMLA cream on the area being treated....this works wonders for me.  EMLA cream is available without a prescription, but is stored behind the counter and requires the Pharmacists "sign-off".
- Staci -
  •  

Niki Knight

Hi StaciM Im from Calgary as well. If you ever want to get out for coffee or go shopping let me know.

Thx for the tips, I will pick up the cream tomorrow to have for the first appointment. Anything I can do outside of putting me under is great..
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: staciM on March 13, 2017, 09:18:29 AM
^ hi Niki, nice to see another girl from Alberta on here...I'm in Calgary.

Fwiw, an hour before my appointment I take two Ibuprofen and apply a few generous coats of EMLA cream on the area being treated....this works wonders for me.  EMLA cream is available without a prescription, but is stored behind the counter and requires the Pharmacists "sign-off".
Does the EMLA cream actually last for the duration of electrolysis. Ive read multiple accounts of it lasting little under 20 minutes..

Also I found the advice of 'covering' treated areas with the cream with plastic wrap uncomfortable to think about..

Clarification would be GREAT.
  •  

staciM

It lasts about 30min but I've found that it depends on how thick you apply it. I'm liberal and repeat a few times before starting treatment so the effect sinks-in below the surface a bit. 

I've been going for 90min appointments where my technician scatters hair removal across the face during a session because I've found that I swell quite a bit if she stays in one general area for awhile.  In addition to the initial application, while she's doing the left side, I'll apply the cream on the right so it's still numb when she moves to that side.  As my beard gets more sparse I'll reduce the appointment times because inevitably she'll be concentrating on one section during the entire session.

Hope that makes sense.

Also, FWIW, my technician once used her numbing cream on me (not sure which one) and I found that it wasn't nearly as effective as EMLA.

LOL, honestly I don't care how much the stuff costs and how much I have to use if it takes just a bit of the edge off :)
- Staci -
  •