Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Tips on How to Stop Smoking?

Started by Jamie87, March 25, 2017, 11:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

I was smoking right up until the end of my first month on HRT(have been since 10)...I went to see my Psychologist, it was in the middle of some fairly traumatic stuff and I had just started HRT. Anyway I was standing having a fag when I saw her this day just as she arrived and she waved at me on her way inside.

As we were about to finish up the session which again had been a really difficult one(me being stubborn...surprise surprise) she said to me something like this

" You have sat there week after week expressing your pain and frustration about having to wait for HRT and finally you are here is that not enough motivation to give up."

Now I didn't say much but inwardly I was seething...I was just so angry with her...How dare she...what the hell right has she got to say to me....

As I calmed down on the drive home it struck me that apart from whatever else I had to say, she was right...how many more excuses could I find, I had been finding them for years...

So I quit the next day and told no one for the first week...My wife noticed after 24 hours and asked me about it. I told her I don't smoke cigarettes anymore...she said Oh you have given up...I said no, I don't smoke anymore...and I haven't since. I dealt with it the same way I dealt with my Alcohol Problems. The solution can only come from me.

I am coming up to 1 year smoke free and one of the biggest things about giving up for me was I am no longer constantly worried about the harm I am doing to myself. It used to worry me all the time(as I puffed away) and a swift kick in the slats helped immensely to but things in perspective for me.

The benefits have been huge with a small downside of gaining about 6-7 KG along with 2-3 from the implanted E...I can and am losing the weight. I would sooner put on a little weight and feel the way I do than smoke.

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: barbie on May 02, 2017, 10:52:16 PM
Now it's 5 weeks. I guess I become a nonsmoker.

barbie~~

I hope this goes well for you. Nicotine is the most viciously addictive drug commonly available in our society. It will take a lot longer than a couple of months to be over it, but I hope you stay with it. There's probably nothing you'll ever do that will be better for your health or your appearance than stopping smoking. Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Lyric on May 13, 2017, 10:01:52 AM
I hope this goes well for you. Nicotine is the most viciously addictive drug commonly available in our society. It will take a lot longer than a couple of months to be over it, but I hope you stay with it. There's probably nothing you'll ever do that will be better for your health or your appearance than stopping smoking. Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread.

Now it's 3 months.

I noticed that my weight considerably increased. There were some factors for it, but certainly stopping smoking was one of them. During the past few weeks, I have run and hiked a lot including a full-course marathon.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

elkie-t

I quitted twice with Nicorette patches. It keeps your nicotine levels in blood high to avoid cravings and you can use the time to break psychological dependency of it. After 2 months - you don't really crave for cigarette. After full year, you're good for life insurance rate as a non-smoker.

Psychologically - you need to go into healthier lifestyle, avoid triggers (never smoke if you drink alcohol for instance, just take another shot of tequila rather), and pretty much keep reminding yourself why you no longer ever want to smoke again ('girls don't smoke' is as good as any other reason).

I swear by these patches, although I started the bad habit again after 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

DawnOday

I remember back when I started,  Cigs cost $.25 a pack at the vending machine at the USA gas station. How you all are affording $5 a pack is unbelievable.  $1825 a year for a pack a day, smoker.  Any more than that will pay for some ffs surgeries.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

LizK

Quote from: DawnOday on June 25, 2017, 01:23:07 PM
I remember back when I started,  Cigs cost $.25 a pack at the vending machine at the USA gas station. How you all are affording $5 a pack is unbelievable.  $1825 a year for a pack a day, smoker.  Any more than that will pay for some ffs surgeries.

I Quit about a year ago and for a pack of 25's it cost me $20 AUS on special or about $15 US a pack....I have saved about $7k since quitting... an astonishing amount of money
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Wendyway2

Hello,

I am a Transwoman on HRT. I took Chantix once a day until I stopped. Chantix and smoking will make you sick. I now have six days smoke free. Honestly the only suggestion I can make that worked for me was logging into Nicotine Anonymous and joining the phone meetings. They also have a facebook group which is good for gaining support on any smoking related issue you are honest enough to post. Tomorrow will be one week. I always use therapy as an excuse to smoke. I am asking my higher power to get me through tomorrow smoke free.

Robben Wendy

natalie.ashlyne

Quote from: DawnOday on June 25, 2017, 01:23:07 PM

In ontario it is $14.75 a pack
  •  

barbie

Quote from: elkie-t on June 25, 2017, 12:31:43 PM
I quitted twice with Nicorette patches. It keeps your nicotine levels in blood high to avoid cravings and you can use the time to break psychological dependency of it. After 2 months - you don't really crave for cigarette. After full year, you're good for life insurance rate as a non-smoker.

Psychologically - you need to go into healthier lifestyle, avoid triggers (never smoke if you drink alcohol for instance, just take another shot of tequila rather), and pretty much keep reminding yourself why you no longer ever want to smoke again ('girls don't smoke' is as good as any other reason).

I swear by these patches, although I started the bad habit again after 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 10 years ago, I once stopped smoking for 3 months with help of nicotine patches. Yes. Nicotine patches relieve some withdrawal symptoms, but actually they are not so much helpful in stopping smoking for long term.

At this time, I stopped smoking without any patch or medicine. This is exactly what the book, Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking", says about. You can download the book at http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

And refer the following web site: https://www.allencarr.com/

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

noleen111

Well done to all in this thread... I really hope you keep it up..

I have been a daily smoker for about 8 years now. I know its bad for me, yet I do it. I dont want to be a smoker for life, but I dont have the will to quit.. its sad I know.

Ok I am not a heavy smoker.. I smoke between 3 and 5 a day, but nothing beats that feeling when I light up after work.
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: natalie.ashlyne on June 28, 2017, 11:33:49 PM
In ontario it is $14.75 a pack

Wow If that don't make you stop nothing will.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

barbie

Quote from: barbie on March 28, 2017, 12:06:18 PM
Update:

I have read the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.

The book is impressive and powerful, as stopping smoking is not about the physiology on nicotine or carbon monoxide, but about our mind, psychology. I completely agree, and realized it.
I even removed the nicotine patch on my shoulders. I have been without smoking for > 3 days, even without any nicotine replacement. I am sure I can stop smoking, and I feel I already succeeded in it. Yes. The number of days does not matter here.

barbie~~

Now 6 months has passed since I stopped smoking. But still I sometimes miss smoking.... once a day.
Yes. It was not so much difficult to stop smoking after I read the book.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Laurie

Stubbornness played a significant part in my quitting smoking about 16 and a half years ago. I won't go into details but I quit cold turkey after running out one day. I made it through the night and just never bought that next pack. I'd say it took close to two years to stop reaching into my shirt pocket for the pack that wasn't there. I did it as I did stopping alcohol. one day at a time..

It can be done,

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

DeniseGrace

Many report good results with Chantix, however I would urge caution. After 8 weeks on Chantix I started hearing and seeing things that didn't exist. I was even seeing text and emails that were never there and would get upset when they couldn't be found again.

I actually believed I got a message that I was to report to court regarding some "federal offense". That I was to consider myself under arrest upon receipt of the message. That my computer, phone, bank account were to be seized, etc.

On a Saturday, I kept calling the local DEA office until the on-call officer called me back. He laughed and said that's not how we work. If we wanted you, we'd be at your door. I think all the meds I take from having my system working incorrectly are a severe illness prompted the call to the DEA.

MY Primary Care Doctor prescribed the Chantix. Next time I saw my Psychiatrist (for PTSD), she said she would never have recommended I use Chantix.

Just my experience. Should anyone experience something "odd" after starting Chantix, please contact your Physician.

Denise
  •  

Swedishgirl96

Stop smoking is not that difficult. The hard thing is staying off.

I stoped smoking cigarettes some time in early September, switched to e-cigarettes. I quieted those December 12th.

I usually don't have a hard time so far but sometimes I do. Especially when I'm sitting by my computer and studying. After some time I really want to go for a smoke break. It drives me nuts! So I'm trying to drink some water, relax, breath, go for a walk in the city. Put on some calming music.

But one dilemma for me is that I really love smoking. Gosh.
La dolce vita
  •