Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Some LGBT-inclusive churches are mixing glitter into Ash Wednesday ashes

Started by stephaniec, February 16, 2017, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Some LGBT-inclusive churches are mixing glitter into Ash Wednesday ashes

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/02/16/some-lgbt-inclusive-churches-are-mixing-glitter-into-ash-wednesday-ashes/

Pink News/By Nick Duffy 16th February 2017, 11:13 AM

"A  number of LGBT-inclusive churches in the US are making a statement by adding glitter to their Ash Wednesday mix.
A number of Christian denominations celebrate Ash Wednesday by daubing the blessed ashes of palm branches on the forehead, to symbolise the first day of Lent. "
  •  

Deborah

I'm not really Catholic anymore but I still retain respect for the liturgy.  This just seems wrong to me as it redirects the whole spirit of this particular ceremony.  It's supposed to symbolize penitence in memory of Christ and the sacrifice.  Glitter just confuses the entire meaning.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Michelle_P

The intent is to blend symbols of mortality and hope for members of this particular group of churchgoers.  Modern  Catholic rite has been trying to be more positive in its ceremonies, and rather than seeing Ash Wednesday and Lent as purely about suffering for our sins, there is some emphasis on eventual hope for forgiveness and salvation.  The palm ashes symbolize mortality, and the glitter is supposed to represent hope.

(Disclaimer:  Former Catholic, far too many years of Jesuit training, now a Unitarian Universalist.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

RobynD

•  

stephaniec

glow in the dark glitter would be cool and respectful , you'd just see a glowing cross at night.
  •