Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

anyone love the outdoors, backpacking, hunting?

Started by Nina_Ottawa, January 03, 2017, 07:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nina_Ottawa

So I doubt few here are like me, but following my GRS in 2014, for some reason I gravitated towards being more outdoorsy. When I was kid, my dad used to take me hunting. I don't have fond me,ores of childhood, but the times with my dad really stoked something in me.
Feb 2016 saw me do a hunter course, get my hunting licence and firearms acquisition licence.
I took up the compound bow which I absolutely love.
Most of last year saw me hunting deer, turkey, grouse and rabbits.
I've spent a dozen trips backcountry camping by myself 4-5 days at a time.
With all this adventure, I've really become an outdoors woman....and loving it.

So much so, my hubby and I have acquired an off grid property in north Ontario. Early 2018 we'll make the move from being dependent on city life, and taking up homesteading. We'll be raising our own chicken, maintaining a garden, cutting our own firewood etc.
The first 51 years of my life, I was more or less dependent on others. That's all changing.

Anyone else hunt?
  •  

Devlyn

I'm an excellent shot and no squirrels are safe in my neighborhood!  :laugh: 

I do a lot of local hiking and walking and have been toying with the idea of doing the Appalachian Trail before I die. I've lived off grid for a number of years, 7 to be exact. Bring on the zombies, I'm gonna be a survivor!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 03, 2017, 07:40:06 PM
I'm an excellent shot and no squirrels are safe in my neighborhood!  :laugh: 

I do a lot of local hiking and walking and have been toying with the idea of doing the Appalachian Trail before I die. I've lived off grid for a number of years, 7 to be exact. Bring on the zombies, I'm gonna be a survivor!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn

Awesome!
I took up hiking last year...through Algonquin Park in Ontario. I'm on a couple hiking groups on FB, totally envy those who do the PCT or AT.
And off gridder as well? Cool.
Yep, can't wait. So done with city life...we do nothing here. Tired of neighbors, dependency on electricity, and quality of produce in grocery store.

☺️
  •  

Raell

I hike the woods, wade swamps, climb mountains, etc but to photograph wildlife, to blend in and be one with nature and its energy. I'm all about protecting the environment.

The only meat I eat is a small amount of fish for breakfast, to help my memory.

When I was living on my family farm I raised my own fruit, plants, bought bulk organic items like wheat  berries and rolled oats from the local food coop.
Here in Thailand I pick wild greens and buy organic, home-grown vegetables and fruit from vendors at the open market.

I used to camp outdoors year around on my Morehead, KY, farm, by the horse pasture, using a screen tent in summer, so I could keep track of meteors and follow the sounds of night animals and birds. In the winter, we didn't use the tent, but slept on the ground on a memory foam mat. Stars were very bright in winter.

At that time, some local bought, then turned loose, a male black jaguar cub, and after it matured, it did a territory sweep so that it was on my farm every three weeks. When it was around it gave a continuous territory call, scratched trees, sprayed scent, left scrapings and scat piles on the trail, and often walked directly on top of my own tracks, only shortly after I'd passed that way. It often visited the tent at night, purring so loudly it shook the tent walls, or giving a "COUGH" sound. It left huge tracks, and sometimes locals caught it on their trail cams. But it never bothered my dogs or horses.

When I lived on my eastern Kentucky family farm, I roamed the hills constantly..I knew every animal, their babies, the birds, and they all knew me. I could track animals even at night, just through sound and scent. I could read tracks, knew all their movements, the times they hunted, where and what they caught. I could track deer right into a herd and they'd never see me.

I'd be surrounded by dozing deer. Then, if the wind shifted there'd be an explosion of snorts of alarm. But usually the deer recognized me, and would even join me on my hikes, frisking on each side of me like big dogs. Wild turkeys used to step on my feet in passing, when I was sitting in the brush to get a photograph of a warbler.

When I hiked other mountains the deer there would often join me also, so I suppose they were reading my mind/energy. I would stop and stroke Black Rat Snakes and Eastern King Snakes under the chin until they wriggled with pleasure, and when I tried to walk away, they'd follow me!

If wild animals were in trouble, they'd come to my house and seek me out!

My daughter and I once were stroking some lizards while on a hike above Morehead, KY, and when we tried to leave, they kept leaping back onto our shoulders. I told my daughter to do as I do with snakes..just put them back, then RUN for it!
  •  

Kylo

I was an outdoors kid. Used to go camping with family in Snowdonia every year and wander off by myself in the woods or the mountains.

Although nobody I knew hunted, I would go fishing and I was pretty good at catching and trapping animals. I grew up with a lot of animals. At 16 I went on a long trip through the Atlas mountains, sleeping on the ground mostly and seeing a lot of strange stuff. I caught a lot of lizards and snakes out there, by hand.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

FTMax

All of the above! I grew up in a very rural farming community, was a junior ranger as a kid (think co-ed scouts), and I've done the Appalachian Trail in both directions in halves.

As soon as I'm able to pay off my student loan debt, I'm planning to start looking for property with homesteading being the goal. I'd like to have a sizable garden, some animals, etc. Very much had enough of city life.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

MeTony

I was a city kid. Born and raised in the suburbs. I have picked up scouting as an adult and am a junior scout leader since 4 years back. We learn to survive in the forest and go on hikes 4 times / year. I love the kids. I've seen them grow into teenagers. Teenagers are smart and it is a challenge to make meetings that keep their interest up.

No hunting though.
  •  

MissGendered

Nina,

When I was a child I was in the woods every possible moment. I come from a long line of sustenance hunters, fishermen, farmers, and mercenaries. Nordic peoples, ya know!

I learned stalking, tracking, trapping, and hunted with bows, firearms, and air rifles. Any and every moment outdoors was an escape from the hell of family life, and these things were looked upon as gender appropriate, so it served me well to learn them, and learn them well..

My life now seems on two paths, in opposite directions. If I had the money, I would be moving to a warm, destination location, and live an elegant, artsy, progressive, socially active lifestyle. I love gorgeous clothes, expensive jewelry, exotic restaurants, arts and theater. But, my transition has drained me of all my resources, and I was just today, coincidentally, telling my big sister that if I didn't have a financial breakthrough by next fall, I was going to have to start hunting for food. I am not especially drawn to that anymore, but I am very capable, and I do enjoy being outdoors very much. I was always empathetic about taking an animal's life, I see it as a shamanistic thing, and am grateful for the nourishment that comes from the sacrifice of one life for another. But I don't relish the moment after the shot has been released.

I do love to garden, and that also brings a certain need for culling animals that would make my work less productive, and at the same time, fill my crock pot or skillet with organic, free range meats. My grandmother and I would tend her garden and can the excess every year for many, many years. I love doing that kind of work, it is good for the soul.

I'd rather not hunt, but if I can't get out of my financial duress, I will be eating venison and feral hog next winter, instead of macaroni and cheese.

Missy
  •  

staciM

My wife and I camp quite a bit in our 30' Airstream, does that count?  Lol! :)

We use to tent camp but don't any longer....we are both pretty happy with the luxury home base our trailer offers when we travel.  It's equipped with an excellent Solar system so we aren't tied down by services at sites and we still do some great backpacking/hiking along the way.  I'm an avid landscape photographer so getting "out there" is important to capturing shots.  I've never been or wanted to do any hunting and I get bored pretty quickly fishing.
- Staci -
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

Quote from: MissGendered on February 04, 2017, 05:10:55 PM
Nina,

When I was a child I was in the woods every possible moment. I come from a long line of sustenance hunters, fishermen, farmers, and mercenaries. Nordic peoples, ya know!

I learned stalking, tracking, trapping, and hunted with bows, firearms, and air rifles. Any and every moment outdoors was an escape from the hell of family life, and these things were looked upon as gender appropriate, so it served me well to learn them, and learn them well..

My life now seems on two paths, in opposite directions. If I had the money, I would be moving to a warm, destination location, and live an elegant, artsy, progressive, socially active lifestyle. I love gorgeous clothes, expensive jewelry, exotic restaurants, arts and theater. But, my transition has drained me of all my resources, and I was just today, coincidentally, telling my big sister that if I didn't have a financial breakthrough by next fall, I was going to have to start hunting for food. I am not especially drawn to that anymore, but I am very capable, and I do enjoy being outdoors very much. I was always empathetic about taking an animal's life, I see it as a shamanistic thing, and am grateful for the nourishment that comes from the sacrifice of one life for another. But I don't relish the moment after the shot has been released.

I do love to garden, and that also brings a certain need for culling animals that would make my work less productive, and at the same time, fill my crock pot or skillet with organic, free range meats. My grandmother and I would tend her garden and can the excess every year for many, many years. I love doing that kind of work, it is good for the soul.

I'd rather not hunt, but if I can't get out of my financial duress, I will be eating venison and feral hog next winter, instead of macaroni and cheese.

Missy

Missy,

That's a pretty cool story, one that I relish to live.
Funny, I'm going the opposite direction of what you want. I've gone completely 180 degrees fro  where I used to be: big house, cottage, multiple vacations, expensive clothes, fine wines, eating out, jewellery etc.
It was two years ago, some sort of ephiphany. I had been thinking when I was a kid, I had some fond memories spending quality time with my dad hunting and fishing. Yet  I never fished or hunted for the next 35 years.
I've longed for a simpler life, away from the city, away from people. I'm lucky to have a partner who shares the same dream of moving away.
Lol, outside of clothes I buy at Cabela's, I'd say my clothing costs are about $50 a year.
I've not worn heels, dresses, jewellery, perfume in five years.
so right now we're looking at properties far north, with a couple hundred acres. Enough for a garden, fruit trees, building a root cellar for me.
While I love hunting and fishing now, it's a part of me. I love the outdoors, being in nature, the thrill of planning where I'm going, the stillness, the solitude that gets me excited. I solo backpacked in the deep woods last year 13 times...even had two bear encounters. everything I do in nature is with respect for life.

Nina
  •  

MissGendered

Quote from: Nina_Ottawa on February 04, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
Missy,

That's a pretty cool story, one that I relish to live.
Funny, I'm going the opposite direction of what you want. I've gone completely 180 degrees fro  where I used to be: big house, cottage, multiple vacations, expensive clothes, fine wines, eating out, jewellery etc.
It was two years ago, some sort of ephiphany. I had been thinking when I was a kid, I had some fond memories spending quality time with my dad hunting and fishing. Yet  I never fished or hunted for the next 35 years.
I've longed for a simpler life, away from the city, away from people. I'm lucky to have a partner who shares the same dream of moving away.
Lol, outside of clothes I buy at Cabela's, I'd say my clothing costs are about $50 a year.
I've not worn heels, dresses, jewellery, perfume in five years.
so right now we're looking at properties far north, with a couple hundred acres. Enough for a garden, fruit trees, building a root cellar for me.
While I love hunting and fishing now, it's a part of me. I love the outdoors, being in nature, the thrill of planning where I'm going, the stillness, the solitude that gets me excited. I solo backpacked in the deep woods last year 13 times...even had two bear encounters. everything I do in nature is with respect for life.

Nina

Nina,

I think for me, the association with my past life is what makes me wish to avoid redoing the things that I have already experienced, albeit in a different body and gender. I say I don't want to hunt, but what I really mean, is I don't want to do my old things, I would rather climb new mountains, the ones that were forbidden from me all these years. I want as pristine a new life as I can muster, perhaps as a palate cleanser for the bad taste male life left in my mouth, and on my soul. If I must hunt, I will of course enjoy the heck out of it, except the killing and cleaning of the animals, though I will definitely enjoy processing and preparing the meats. I know I am rejecting these things as a way to focus my mind on the ideal that I intend to embody. If I were doing so without self-awareness, and clear intention, it might seem silly, and probably does still to those not as invested in a goal such as mine.

My sisters sometimes tell me that my life would be much easier if I just started doing the stuff I used to do, and get over it, lol. But I cannot. For me, that would be surrender. I am not who I was, I won't pander to that past, no matter how easy it could be, I must press on into the territory I was denied for sooo long...

Of course, I am very happy for you being able to chart a course that suits you, as you well should, so don't think for a moment I think my way better than anybody else's, it's just me doing what I need to do, for me.

That said, my actual life may very well mirror yours by next year, ha ha! But it won't be my first choice, it will be a grudging acceptance of financial reality. I am very glad that I do have all those skills, I ranked very high on a national level in some shooting sports. My game bag was rarely empty...

Perhaps I will end up doing this, that, and the other, before my time on the planet ends, I do like variety!

Happy hunting!

Missy

•  

SadieBlake

I had a pretty crap childhood as far as any parental support but I did spend most of my free time as a kid out in the woods. No father and the abusive uncle who chose to fill that role was full of braggadocio but didn't hunt or really do any outdoor activities.

I had the good fortune to learn rock climbing in middle school and returned to that in life multiple times, becoming more serious about it after coming out to myself as trans. I also had taught myself hunting in my 30s and miss bow hunting but will probably never make time for that again.

Some of my best times have been spent in the eastern Sierras climbing solo. I'd like to make time for that again someday.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Tessa James

I do love the outdoors and have spent my best moments here.  Starting as a city kid the vacant lot across the alley was our place to catch butterflies, climb trees and dig into the earth.  In those way back years our moms would simply say "go play outdoors and come back for dinner"  As a teen I found my way to trails along the Mississippi River.  My wife and I have been winter camping in 30 below snowstorms along the MN-Canada boundary water area and hiked up in to the Cascade Mountains along the Pacific Crest Trail. 

Now I work with local and regional trail groups to make connections and get even more folks out and about in the real natural world.  We live within sight of the national Lewis and Clark Trail near where she meets the Pacific Ocean.  I noticed early on that a lot of relatively fit old timers were still out hiking the trails.  We have a mile of trails on our own place and I never tire of being deeply immersed in this temperate, estuarine rain forest.  Squish squish ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

crushdani

Went hiking in the Adirondack Mountains in October.  So amazingly gorgeous.
  •  

crushdani

Check out Lake Placid and Mirror Lake too....same area.
  •  

Kylo

I may try out some spearfishing; I noticed a lot of big fish out in the cove this morning. Lot of big crab, too, although I always think for the small meat you get off a crab it's hardly worth taking them.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Jin

I just picked up the perfect hiking skirt at a thrift store. Kind of a dark purple with lavender swirls. Almost sheer so I should get good ventilation in the upcoming warm season. My go-to hiking outfit for summer is a short skirt (much easier to navigate obstacles and never rides up), a thin cami or tank, brimed hat and of course, my boots. No panties as they tend to ride up when I have a pack on, no bra as the girls love to breathe!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Niki Knight

I have always been an outdoor person ever since I was young. Did a lot of mountain climbing for many years specializing in granite free climbing. Elcapitan and the nose areas were my favourite. I have stopped climbing all together now as my hands just can't handle it anymore.

I dont do allot of summer activities anymore do to being my construction season. I still take long walks and ride the bike when I can.

My true passion is backcountry skiing and have been doing this for almost 30 years. Thanks to the season change we don't do construction in the winter which allows me to get in about 100 days a season. My friends and I do a lot of hut based trips and winter camping. All is self propelled so no helicopters etc. We do an average of 12 to 14k skinning a day and about 2000 meters elevation gain. Luv rocking my pink skies and purple squid ink ski pants and coat.

Luv the great outdoors.

Huggs Niki
  •