Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you cook breakfast? What are some of the dishes you prepare?

Started by JeanetteLW, April 13, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanetteLW

Ever since I landed in the hospital with diabetes I have been eating breakfast I like hot breakfasts so I have taken to cooking my own. They range from oatmeal to more involved dishes. I also started posting pitures of them on Facebook. My friends have gotten so used to seeing my breakfast posts wit descriptions and pictures that if I missed a few days phones start ringing and search parties organized. LOL
   In addition when I go visit friends and stay at their place, see to it that I have my favorite ingredients on had so I can cook for them.
   Do you cook your breakfasts and what are some of the dishes you like to cook for breakfast?

Here is what I cooked this morning.

TA DA! Breakfast! Eggs seasoned with Scarborough fair and pepper cooked on a flour tortilla in a buttered fry pan and topped with cooked chorizo, sauteed potato, scallion, and mushrooms, diced bell peppers in 3 colors, cheddar cheese, salted thin sliced tomato. Served with coffee and strawberries.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

RobynD

That looks yummy.

Probably 3-4 days a week i make eggs for the family with some sort of sides (veggies, bacon, potatoes etc) and sometimes this takes the form of a sort of scramble. We have a "European" breakfast the other times - wasa bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruit and veggies. Once in a while i make pancakes.

I put on a pot of oatmeal once and only 2 of the 6 in the family had any

•  

Colleen_definitely

Breakfast is my favorite.

Oh let's see, low carb sausage gravy.  Basically just make gravy but instead of flour you use xanthan gum.  The texture is a little tiny bit off from the real deal but hey, low carb and delicious.  Throw that over scrambled eggs and enjoy.

Another fun thing is taking some sort of thin sliced preserved deli meat product of choice (ham, prosciutto, capicola, salami, turkey, whatever) and lining a cupcake pan cup with it, cracking an egg in, and sprinkling some cheese on top.  Bake for about 15 minutes at 350, pop it out and enjoy.

Scrambled eggs smothered in leftover green chile or red chili(no beans).

A crustless green chile, ham, mushroom, and cheese quiche is also pretty awesome and very easy to make.  Any quiche is pretty simple really, and you can get crazy with the ingredients.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

JeanetteLW

Hi Colleen,

Some good ideas Colleen. I do most of my cooking on top of the stove. Your quiche sounds good and similar to a frutata type dish I made up on the stove top before I knew what a frutata was.  I like fresh veggies and cheese in my breakfast with some sort of breakfast meat.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Devlyn

Jamaican Blue hits my table every morning at 6:10. It's the breakfast of champions!   :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: JeanetteLW on April 13, 2017, 11:49:32 AM
Hi Colleen,

Some good ideas Colleen. I do most of my cooking on top of the stove. Your quiche sounds good and similar to a frutata type dish I made up on the stove top before I knew what a frutata was.  I like fresh veggies and cheese in my breakfast with some sort of breakfast meat.

Hugs,
   Jeanette

A quiche isn't much more than a frittata in a crust.  Mixing stuff into eggs and cooking them up is about the most versatile breakfast idea there is.

Also, yes, coffee is life.  I've been drinking this lately and it is fantastic https://nmpinoncoffee.com/product/dark-pinon/
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: RobynD on April 13, 2017, 11:39:45 AM
That looks yummy.

Probably 3-4 days a week i make eggs for the family with some sort of sides (veggies, bacon, potatoes etc) and sometimes this takes the form of a sort of scramble. We have a "European" breakfast the other times - wasa bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruit and veggies. Once in a while i make pancakes.

I put on a pot of oatmeal once and only 2 of the 6 in the family had any

Hi Robyn,

My staple dishes are scrambled egg dishes with various meats and veggies, omelets, separate items of eggs, a breakfast meat and fried potato seasoned with usually Rosemary and with bits of diced onion and peppers.

For oatmeal I never use instant varieties, rather I use good old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats with cinnamon cooked right in. Old fashioned and steel cut take a bit longer to cook  but they are less mushy and I use less water so they are more chewy. Brown sugar makes them taste better yet.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 13, 2017, 11:51:31 AM
Jamaican Blue hits my table every morning at 6:10. It's the breakfast of champions!   :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
Devlyn!  That's not breakfast.  It's coffee, a breakfast beverage.

Coffee for me is a given,

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

JeanetteLW

•  

Amanda_Combs

That looks awesome!  My favorite is this vegan breakfast.  It's tofu scramble with grits! 
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

Devlyn

I had two big bowls of Cap'n Crunch the other night for dinner. Hey, I'm an adult. That means I'm under no obligation to act like one.  8)
  •  

Jin

Weekdays I go for simple. Old Fashioned rolled oats, bit of sea salt, tablespoon each of raisins and dried cranberries. Dash of cream or butter. Strong black coffee.

Weekends I devote more time. Cube 2 rashers bacon, chop one each potato, onion, zuccinni, mushrooms. Fry in cast iron then add 2 or 3 farm fresh eggs. Strong black coffee.

During the warm summer months I eat sitting naked on the patio, soaking in the Sun's power. Thanking Father God for  the opportunity.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

karenk1959

I am not a gourmet chef and your breakfast looks yummy, but I thoroughly enjoy cooking two over easy eggs every morning, one for me and one for my best friend in the world, my yellow lab, Bella!
  •  

Deborah

My standard weekday breakfast is two or three eggs, scrambled or hard boiled, black olives, a can of sardines, and a drink I make with water, apple cider vinegar, chia seeds, and nutritional yeast.

It sounds pretty disgusting but it's quick and actually leaves me energized for hours.

In the weekends it's usually big omelets  and bacon.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Amanda_Combs on April 13, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
That looks awesome!  My favorite is this vegan breakfast.  It's tofu scramble with grits! 

Hi Amada,

I can do the toast and grits. The tofu on the other hand I would probably pass on though I'm sure it can be prepared in many ways and likely Delicious ways.   I do believe in letting people eat the foods they chose to eat even if they my not coincide with my choices. Enjoy your breakfast and yes, it does look good.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the vegan or vegetarian mindset. I'm a meat eater and like it. Veggies, salads and fruit make good snacks and side dishes. I feel the same about non gmo attitudes. I've been around too long to worry much about how healthy foods are for me and am perfectly happy eating cheaper plain ol foods as long as they taste good.

Hugs Amanda,
  Jeanette
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 13, 2017, 12:23:48 PM
I had two big bowls of Cap'n Crunch the other night for dinner. Hey, I'm an adult. That means I'm under no obligation to act like one.  8)

Devlyn, Devlyn, Devlyn... Whatever are we to do with you?

(shakes head in sadness)

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Jin on April 13, 2017, 12:41:04 PM
Weekdays I go for simple. Old Fashioned rolled oats, bit of sea salt, tablespoon each of raisins and dried cranberries. Dash of cream or butter. Strong black coffee.

Weekends I devote more time. Cube 2 rashers bacon, chop one each potato, onion, zuccinni, mushrooms. Fry in cast iron then add 2 or 3 farm fresh eggs. Strong black coffee.

During the warm summer months I eat sitting naked on the patio, soaking in the Sun's power. Thanking Father God for  the opportunity.

That sounds like good simple eating, Jin.  I'll keep my clothes on though thank you.

Hugs, (not too closely)

Jeanette
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: karenk1959 on April 13, 2017, 12:43:49 PM
I am not a gourmet chef and your breakfast looks yummy, but I thoroughly enjoy cooking two over easy eggs every morning, one for me and one for my best friend in the world, my yellow lab, Bella!

Hi Karen,
  Thank you.
  Simple breakfasts are good also. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I am not a gourmet cook either. I've never had a cooking lesson in my life other than those from my mom when I was growing up. I learned to mend clothes, do laundry so I could help out and take care of myself once I left home.
  I do like to experiment though and have a fair idea of when will go with what food wise. Clothes? Well that is a whole different story.

Enjoy your eggs with your best friend,

Hugs,
    Jeanette

•  

DawnOday

One of my favorite breakfasts consists of fried potato's and wieners simmered in El Pato sauce, Covered with over easy eggs with tortillas on the side. ymm,
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•