Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you cook breakfast? What are some of the dishes you prepare?

Started by JeanetteLW, April 13, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel_Christina

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Rachel_Christina on May 29, 2017, 02:41:53 PM
Dem damn breakfasts, tempt the heck outa me! D:

Hi Rachel,

I'm glad you like the thread. You should try some of them sometime and/or post your own.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Dena

Quote from: Laurie on May 29, 2017, 02:13:37 PM
Omelets are a good fairly easy breakfast. The first thing you need is a good nonstick fry pan. I buy cheap ones for about $10 at a department store. It will last me several months before it starts sticking. I still use some oil or butter in the pan and heat it up to a little below medium heat before putting the eggs in.
I have an aluminum uncoated pan that has been used for years. It's only used for egg and I just used it today and the eggs didn't stick. To accomplish this, use wood or plastic tools whenever possible and if you must use metal, make sure it's rounded like a spoon so it doesn't scratch the pan. Heat the pan to cooking temperature then hit it with a spray oil like Pam. Clean it with soap and water but use plastic wool if something sticks. I have never had the problem but if the surface should become damaged, steel wool could smooth out any rough spots.

We have used sprays other than the original formula Pam but Pam seems to work best for this. I also remove the pan from the heat and spray it in the sink to keep it from getting all over the stove.

Teflon will hold up pretty well as long is it doesn't overheat but for frying, I always pick good old fashion cast iron. It seems like I can't get enough of it in my kitchen even though it lasts forever.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Cimara

Quote from: Dena on May 29, 2017, 04:34:07 PM
I have an aluminum uncoated pan that has been used for years. It's only used for egg and I just used it today and the eggs didn't stick. To accomplish this, use wood or plastic tools whenever possible and if you must use metal, make sure it's rounded like a spoon so it doesn't scratch the pan. Heat the pan to cooking temperature then hit it with a spray oil like Pam. Clean it with soap and water but use plastic wool if something sticks. I have never had the problem but if the surface should become damaged, steel wool could smooth out any rough spots.

We have used sprays other than the original formula Pam but Pam seems to work best for this. I also remove the pan from the heat and spray it in the sink to keep it from getting all over the stove.

Teflon will hold up pretty well as long is it doesn't overheat but for frying, I always pick good old fashion cast iron. It seems like I can't get enough of it in my kitchen even though it lasts forever.

Cast iron is the best. When Lucas and I moved in together his grandmother gave me a set of three cast iron frying pans and a cast iron Dutch oven type pot. I LOVE them. I have an expensive set of T-Fall but I use the cast iron for everything. I love that they can go in the oven!
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

Laurie

Cast iron are definitely good pans to have provided you keep them well seasoned. They can work as well if not better  and last longer than these non-stick pans everyone uses.
    I use cheap ceramic non-stick out of convenience. I've bought them and used them at a couple friends  home when staying there and know I was going to be cooking breakfast so I know I'll have a decent pan to us. Then I leave them there for them to use or for when I return.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Cimara

Quote from: Laurie on May 29, 2017, 06:44:13 PM
    Cast iron are definitely good pans to have provided you keep them well seasoned. They can work as well if not better  and last longer than these non-stick pans everyone uses.
    I use cheap ceramic non-stick out of convenience. I've bought them and used them at a couple friends  home when staying there and know I was going to be cooking breakfast so I know I'll have a decent pan to us. Then I leave them there for them to use or for when I return.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Season them? What kind of seasoning? I just wash and dry mine.
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Cimara on May 29, 2017, 06:51:43 PM
Season them? What kind of seasoning? I just wash and dry mine.

Alexandria,

Sensoning a cast iron pan is  done by coating the inside with vegetable oil and cooking the pan in the oven. Doing so makes it  more nonstick.  When the pan starts sticking and/or rusting from repeated use and washing, it needs to be cleaned well and reseasoned.

You can find instructions on the internet with a simple search.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Deborah on May 29, 2017, 12:11:55 PM
I started out with a bowl of my bone stew (I fill it with too many things to call it broth) and then had my usual weekend three egg cheese omelet topped with sour cream but added something new today.  I topped the sour cream with 1/4 cup of the home fermented sauerkraut I started Friday evening.  It was really good and the sauerkraut is moving along nicely in its fermentation.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you did a tour in the DMZ.  :)
  •  

Devlyn

Nice new avatar, Laurie. You look like you're getting ready to say something smartypants.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on May 29, 2017, 08:46:36 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you did a tour in the DMZ.  :)
Yes.  Guard Post Oullette in 1982.  That summer was quite the adventure.  All night long listening to giant NK speakers blasting music and propaganda and my Katusas yelling obscenities about Kim Il Sung back across the border. LOL

It was a weird and surreal place.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on May 29, 2017, 08:48:15 PM
Nice new avatar, Laurie. You look like you're getting ready to say something smartypants.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn

Thanks Devlyn. No I have nothing to say. Never do. Maybe tomorrow when I see my therapist again.
After all the nagging around here I should have something to talk about. Think about going in a new skirt and top but need to go buy a lower or mid heel pump. Should I go to Walmart tonight or wear something else tomorrow.
Decision decisions.

Hugs,
    Laurie

•  

ghostbees

Quote from: Laurie on May 29, 2017, 02:13:37 PM
Hi Nathan,

Omelets are a good fairly easy breakfast. The first thing you need is a good nonstick fry pan. I buy cheap ones for about $10 at a department store. It will last me several months before it starts sticking. I still use some oil or butter in the pan and heat it up to a little below medium heat before putting the eggs in. I use 2 - 3 eggs in an 11" fry pan, let it cook a bit before putting the fillers in on one half of the eggs. (Cheese is okay to put on the whole thing. Cover and cook until cheese is melted. Now is the time to fold and serve. There is a trick to folding an omelet.. keep the eggs thin and put fillings only on half (except for cheese) leaving the other half with only  melted cheese to fold over. Make sure the egg is free from the pan before attempting to fold and have the turner well under the half being folded.

Try that next time and see if it works better for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie
Hey Laurie,
The problem is with our oven it requires special pans just for it to work.  God knows what the carehome staff were thinking but it's an oven - electric and with small circles to press.
I swear I'm not making this up [emoji23]

Ooh thanks for the tip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loki's playing tricks again ::)
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ghostbees on May 29, 2017, 09:39:01 PM
Hey Laurie,
The problem is with our oven it requires special pans just for it to work.  God knows what the carehome staff were thinking but it's an oven - electric and with small circles to press.

Ooh thanks for the tip!!

Flat glass top with circles where the burners are?  Probably an induction stove. My daughters last place had one. Most pans work on them and pans you buy should be marked for use on induction stoves.

My cheap aluminum metal ceramic coated pan will not work on one of those.

Hug's
   Laurie

•  

Cimara

Nathan, it sounds like you have an induction cooktop. We have one. The pots have to be magnetic to work. Place a magnet against a pot. If the magnet sticks then the pot will work with an induction cooker. If the magnet won't stick then the pot will not work.
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Cimara on May 29, 2017, 09:48:39 PM
Nathan, it sounds like you have an induction cooktop. We have one. The pots have to be magnetic to work. Place a magnet against a pot. If the magnet sticks then the pot will work with an induction cooker. If the magnet won't stick then the pot will not work.

You corrected me Alexandria. My aluminum pan will not work on an induction cook top.
  My daughter's current stove is not an induction one. It was her last place that had one.

Thanks,

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Dena

Quote from: ghostbees on May 29, 2017, 09:39:01 PM
Hey Laurie,
Induction cook top. If a magnet sticks to it, you can use it with the range. If a magnet doesn't stick to it, you need to put a metal plate under the pot to make it work.

They installed them because they are energy efficient, produce little waste heat, they are very safe, unlikely to start a fire and are easy to clean. They didn't think about the pain they are to use. I have an electric glass top with heating coil range which is better but I had 3 pans that couldn't be used with it because they weren't flat on the bottom. Sometimes I really miss a natural gas cook top.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jamie 65

When I have time on the weekend I will cook Grits, bacon, and eggs and biscuits. 
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Jamie 65 on June 16, 2017, 10:24:45 AM
When I have time on the weekend I will cook Grits, bacon, and eggs and biscuits.
Sounds good to me, Jamie. Saving me some?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

I usually have redbull or 5 hour energy for breakfast but when I do eat I like pancakes or waffles.  But I like both without syrup or anything else on them. I'm weird I know. My family already told me that. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jamie 65

Quote from: Laurie on June 16, 2017, 11:11:22 PM
Sounds good to me, Jamie. Saving me some?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Sure come and get some   :D
  •