Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Mirror illusion

Started by Brooke, April 21, 2017, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

I'm noticing as of late that seeing my reflection, I still see my old self. If I take a selfie in that exact moment though.... WOW!, what a difference.

It's so weird that I can't see the feminization in a mirror, but give me a photo and it's clear as day.

I know it's a body image issue, but am wondering if anyone else dealt with this and how you came to see yourself as others do. I don't pass in my own mind very well, but to others I pass completely.

Is this just a matter of time, like a mental lag, or do I need to work on it. Hmm. I don't know.

~Brooke~
  •  

rikki88

Quote from: Brooke on April 21, 2017, 03:03:00 AM
I'm noticing as of late that seeing my reflection, I still see my old self. If I take a selfie in that exact moment though.... WOW!, what a difference.

It's so weird that I can't see the feminization in a mirror, but give me a photo and it's clear as day.

I know it's a body image issue, but am wondering if anyone else dealt with this and how you came to see yourself as others do. I don't pass in my own mind very well, but to others I pass completely.

Is this just a matter of time, like a mental lag, or do I need to work on it. Hmm. I don't know.

~Brooke~

You are for sure lucky. I haven't had anything look different in my face region. My body oh yea! But my face remains very manly looking.
  •  

JeanetteLW

Hi Brooke,

I will go along with Rikki, it would be nice to see facial changes whether in the mirror or in a picture. Either place would be good to me.
   I am the opposite and I fear a victim of wishful thinking. I look in the mirror and think I see changes but when I check a picture from when I began this journey I can't see the change I thought I did. It's the same old guy standing there still.  However, when I dress and put on one of my wigs, maybe a touch of makeup, that old man gets banished. I see the woman I should be. Not necessarily the woman I would like to see, but a woman just the same.
  Just my 2 cents mind you... reflections on a reflection if you will.

Hugs,
   Jeanette

•  

Brooke

Thank you both!
I definitely realize I'm lucky. I do still think that there has to be some sort of mental lag at play.

The scenario reminds me a lot about weight-loss and the resulting mental image. I know when I have lost weight more than 10 or 15 pounds I have always been surprised that I can fit into clothes, or my go to clothing items are too big for me. The thing that for me a guarantee after losing weight is it's going to be my shadow that will always catch me offguard.

I think also in my case is shortly before starting hrt I hit my max weight I've ever had. In the months before and after beginning hrt I lost a little over 100 lbs. The weight loss would have been a huge change by itself, but throw in HRT and it's a whole different person.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

~Brooke~
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I think there's something wrong with me (and seriously, what else is new?  ;D ) but I look better to myself in the mirror than a selfie. 
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Brooke,

I believe that I am in Colleen's camp. I do like the image of my face reflected in the mirror while most photos bother me. I put that to being overly critical of photos but seeing the happiness in my face looking back at me from the mirror gives me joy. The reflection is just of an old lady but it reflects more happiness than I ever saw in his face.

Anne
  •  

Brooke

It's looking more and more like it's me who is the outlier here.

I appreciate all the feedback! Thanks!

~Brooke~
  •  

Michelle_P

Brooke, you are not alone.

I've covered all the mirrors in my apartment where I could see myself without makeup and hair in place, except for a little place to use when shaving. (Yuck). I expect to stop shaving in a few weeks through the miracle of marathon electrolysis sessions.

Photos are more detached and abstract than a reflection, and it is easier for us to perceive and appreciate the contents in abstraction.

The mirror may map onto our internal self-image for many of us, and that lags behind our actual appearance by many months.

The good news is that our internal self-image does eventually change. I eagerly await that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Brooke

Thank you Michellle! Very good points on the nature of photos vs reflection. I completely get the desire to cover them up.

Good luck with the electrolysis! I don't know if I could do more than a few hours (in different areas of course) at a time.

Though reaching near the end of my electrolysis journey, I can say that it is completely worth it.

~Brooke~
  •