Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Fashion Sense

Started by alannah, April 18, 2017, 03:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alannah

Hi

Again, I don't know if I have posted this in the right place, but I shall give it a go anyway. I am sure if it is wrong, someone will tell me pretty quick.

I am hoping for some advice on the early stages, whilst maybe not having decided to go the whole way, but having fully decided on a change in direction. I am particularly interested from an older person's point of view living in the UK, older being late 40s.

Just for info, my change of name deed poll documentation is in the post and I have started to change my permanent wardrobe (although I have alway "cross dressed" so have things anyway) and also have an appointment with a gender counsellor in early May.

What I was wanting to know was what subtle ways can I use to indicate that would not necessarily go unnoticed but would nevertheless be somewhat circumspect. I was trying to work out what items of clothing I could wear and am getting there, more or less, with casual wear, but am beginning to get a bit stumped about what I can wear to work (in an office) that would not be too noticeable but would be distinctly different, if that is not a contradiction in terms.

I was also thinking (and have started anyway) that using proper women's bathing/cleaning/toiletry products - not just beauty regime things but deodorant and perfume, may be a subtle way to indicate a change without being "in your face" about it.

I would be very grateful to hear others thoughts.

Alannah
  •  

paula lesley

Hi, Alannah.

Hope you are well  :)

I'm 52 and have been transitioning for 4 years. I did not cross dress or express the real me at all until I was 47. I just changed; one day, to me ;D I tend to wear sporty clothes and jeans. skirts are knee length and I tend to wear black tights, as my legs are quite old ! I wear trainers or ankle boots. I never wear heels as I'm tall and I've spent too many years racing motorbikes. Bad knees  ;) If you do start to take HRT your body odour will change and; as I found, your whole sense of self will change.
I don't think there is a way of transitioning without any outward bodily changes.

Good luck with your meeting with your counsellor. I hope it goes well for you.

Paula, X.
  •  

LizK

Hi I am 53 been transitioning about 18 moths now.

I think your suggestion of switching to women's toiletries is a great idea as it will help you establish a proper regime. You can also do things like wear perfume discreetly...I used to spray some about the centre of my chest so I could duck my head under my T-shirt and smell it easily especially if I was feeling particularly dysphoric...not enough for anyone to really notice the smell but me. I also began to underdress at all times wearing knickers and bralette (helped heaps) and looked at clothing similar to mine but female. I moved forward from there to being fulltime.

For Work...Maybe a nicely cut pair of slacks with some flats that "could at a stretch" be men's shoes, as far as tops go that depends on how flashy you feel like being....you could also wear clear nail polish, get a manicure, wear some jewellery or pierce your ear/ears. Hope some of those help

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

alannah

Thank yo so so much!! That is all so helpful. Indeed, some of it I have already started doing but to actually read that others do it too is such a thing for me. Thank you. Thank you so much.

Alannah
  •  

DawnOday

I know that when a woman wears perfume the aroma precedes her by a few moments. Don't over do it. Spritz in the air and then walk under the falling mist. Only once. It's a thin line between enhancement and slapping someone in the face. And when you leave the room your aroma will linger to remind them you were there.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•