Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Nail polish options

Started by Denise, April 24, 2017, 07:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise

Maybe I can save someone a little money, time and frustration.

I've tried Essie nail polish twice; dark blue and pastel purple.  It doesn't go on smooth. It doesn't go on even and doesn't cover well.  I'll never but it again.

IPO on the other hand works well and at least for me, lasts a long time. I typically take it off because my nails have grown and there is a 2 or 3 mm gap.

Any other recommendations?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

AnneK

I normally wear OPI, but do have a couple of other brands.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

staciM

I've always been a big fan of Sally Hansen polishes. 
- Staci -
  •  

KayXo

I just go to the salon. Lasts me 3 weeks. :)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

AnneK

I go for a manicure every week and a pedicure, 3 weeks.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

JeanetteLW

Well don't ask me. I just took off my polish so I can take my sister to her doctor's appointment. I had polish on for about 2 days. I believe that is the longest I have ever had polish on. I'm also back in male mode until after the appointment.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
  Jeanette
  •  

Tommi

When I was out of a kob, this winter, I would go and get gel lacquer at the salon every 3-4 weeks. Very strong, very pretty. But when i started a new job I knew I couldn't go as vibrant. i asked for clear gel, but the tech suggested I try SNS.
She gave me two coats of a very light pink and an sns top coat. Pretty nice, but still felt plasticy.
This last time I told her, as every time, keep the length, round the corners. She started doing her normal, file-shorter-square-the-tip thing and I stopped her. "More feminine, I said.
Her eyes lit up as her epiphany hit. She spent the next hour sculpting me a very nice set with two layers of the translucent pink, then a gel top-coat. I think she gets it, now :)

Time is the currency of your life. Spend it wisely.

•  

JeanetteLW

Hi Tommi,

Welcome to Susan's place, I see you are pretty new here. Why don't you pop on over to the introductions forum and introduce yoursel? Tell is a bit about yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper greeting?

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Axolotl

Quote from: Tommi on April 24, 2017, 09:23:08 AM
"More feminine, I said.
Her eyes lit up as her epiphany hit. She spent the next hour sculpting me a very nice set with two layers of the translucent pink, then a gel top-coat. I think she gets it, now :)

This is a big deal.  This is why whenever I go to a hair salon I don't just assume the person realizes I'm female anymore.  I used to go and let them dictate how my hair would be cut, and it always came out very masculine looking.  I spent several years cutting my own hair after giving up.  I hate having to explain that I'm trans (for the billionth time) but it seems like the smartest thing to do when involving other people.
  •  

silliemunkie

I'm a fan of OPI, easy to apply, and lasts a long time
  •  

davina61

Just done mine for the 3rd time this weekend in Boots no7 in what I would call a dusty pink. Terrible trouble putting it on smooth as it wont cover in one go and puckers in 2 coats . ended up with a clear top coat but my nails are poor from work and today just started ripping my VW panel van apart for a rebuild, wearing gloves but still managed to knock chunks out. might try some I got from a cheap German super market as decided to wear some to work tomorrow, that's me outed then!!!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

RavenMoon

I mostly use Essie. It's the only one where I can put on a single thick coat and it dries perfectly. With other brands I have to do two thinner coats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

SophiaBleu

Butter London makes great nail polish. Also, Marc Jacobs has some great colors!
They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.
              Gerald Massey

•  

Barb99

No chip gell. Every 3 weeks at the salon. This stuff is almost indestructible!
The latest thing is what they call "Cat Eyes" they orient the glitter with a magnet before they harden the polish. It makes a really pretty effect when reflecting the light.

•  

Denise

Quote from: RavenMoon on April 24, 2017, 11:29:50 AM
I mostly use Essie. It's the only one where I can put on a single thick coat and it dries perfectly. With other brands I have to do two thinner coats.

Raven, I'm glad you get good results from Essie.  I don't.  It's inconsistent. Under indoor lighting it looks okay.  But out in bright sunlight there are thin spots all over. 

I find that OPI flows nicely and is an even coat

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

RavenMoon

Quote from: Denise on April 24, 2017, 04:57:31 PM
Raven, I'm glad you get good results from Essie.  I don't.  It's inconsistent. Under indoor lighting it looks okay.  But out in bright sunlight there are thin spots all over. 

I find that OPI flows nicely and is an even coat

Might depend on the color? I haven't tried OPI

Here's one coat. Nice and shiny. [emoji3]

•  

Karrie

OPI and Sally Hansen are my favorites.
Only paint my toes at the time being. I do wear clear coat on my fingers but haven't worn color yet.
I own more Hansen polish than OPI due to cost.

Karrie
  •  

Tommi

Here is the SNS with hell top-coat after 1 week. $30 at salon. The second was gels she did. So much better than I've ever been able to do myself.

--
"You do realize, this means you get to do character creation & the newbie zone all over again? :D"

•