Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How do you handle Relationships

Started by Ember Lewis, November 11, 2007, 06:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Lewis

I have never been able to be in a relationship but recently I am feeling so needy to be with someone. I think I know who I am now and with the body changes from HRT I am feeling more confident. But I have no idea how to handle dating being Trans, I don't think I should tell someone when I first meet them but I also don't want to have issues if I don't either. I have no Idea what to do, but I do know I won't suffer being alone anymore just because I am Trans. I know other Trans girl are in relationships so I know it can happen. I'm into guys and girls but so far have found a bit of rejection from Lesbians because I am not a genetic girl, and I'm scared a guy will freak out when he finds out and do something erational. I'd just like to hear how others have dealt with this, did you stick to people in the LGBT community or did a random meeting with someone who considered themselves straight work out.  ???
  •  

Wing Walker

Quote from: Jessica G on November 11, 2007, 06:22:51 PM
I have never been able to be in a relationship but recently I am feeling so needy to be with someone. I think I know who I am now and with the body changes from HRT I am feeling more confident. But I have no idea how to handle dating being Trans, I don't think I should tell someone when I first meet them but I also don't want to have issues if I don't either. I have no Idea what to do, but I do know I won't suffer being alone anymore just because I am Trans. I know other Trans girl are in relationships so I know it can happen. I'm into guys and girls but so far have found a bit of rejection from Lesbians because I am not a genetic girl, and I'm scared a guy will freak out when he finds out and do something erational. I'd just like to hear how others have dealt with this, did you stick to people in the LGBT community or did a random meeting with someone who considered themselves straight work out.  ???

Hello, Jessica,

There are easier things to do but having a fulfilling, meaningful relationship.

I take it that you are post op but I didn't wait to be with someone.  My partner is Cindy and we have been together since 2002.

Before I began gender therapy, the prelude to HRT, I had determined that I wanted a transsexual woman for my one and only, now and forever.  The One Who Is All is good to me because I found someone with a like mind and a warm heart.

Some lesbians are pretty difficult and could be called "radical" lesbians but for me I was well-received by the ones I have met.  When I reported to the job as my true self, one of the gay women, lots younger than me, met me in a corridor and gave me a wonderful hug.  I had tears in my eyes because it was so genuine.  I also told her how much it meant to me to have that hug with my definition of a "woman's woman."

I've also met other women at Pride Toronto and other service organizations and I was well-accepted by them.

If you wish to be with a guy and you're post-op, why tell him anything?  He probably won't care when the fog of testosterone intoxication sets-in.  I am a woman, no other adjectives, unless it is to my doctors and when I am post-op, no one will hear me say that I am trans anything.

May I suggest that you avoid clubs unless you know them to be places where you might *actually* meet someone?  I never did the club scene but I'm a lot older than you (I'm 56).  I prefer to meet someone when they're sober.

I hope that my rambling can be of help to you.

Enjoy your life to the max!

Wing Walker
  •  

Ember Lewis

Thank you, that helps alot, I don't consider myself anything but a woman however I am pre-op so I do have that to contend with. I don't want to avoid a relationship just because I am still in transition, and it could be 3-4 years before I can go for SRS. I guess all I can do is to be myself and not worry.
  •  

gothique11

Hey, Jessica.

Well, form my experience a relationship can be difficult and there a lot of issue to address.  Being pre-op means issues, sadly. But I know what you are going through.

With men, sadly, a lot of them have issues with a girl having boy parts. Or, get pretty pissed off when they realize you have them and you didn't tell them that.  Some bi guys can be a little more flexible. Obviously a man isn't in the picture at all, cause you're a girl.

With women sometimes it can be easier, but not always. Some won't respect you, but others will. Some girls get the idea that they are going to get the best of both worlds -- date a girl, but get the boy parts in bed. Again, if you don't tell them then they also can get mad, but usually not violent some men can get.

I have experience in pretty much everything under the sun.

My ex girlfriend accepted me for who I am, as a woman, totally. She can't seem me as anything but a woman. But there's one catch she had -- she liked my boy parts and wanted me to use them. At first, because I was convinced I can try to pretend and please her, I tried to use the parts for her. I could sort of do it cause that's what I've always tried to do before... but, I still felt uncomfortable. Then, as things got a long I had a harder and harder time using it. I would use it for her and then cry for an hour. Eventually, with HRT, the boy parts stopped being able to really function as well, and usually didn't at all. She wasn't interested in toys, or other methods. She liked the boy part. She wanted the boy part. It was very hard, very difficult, and it tore me up inside.

We broke up. She now realized that she's straight after all -- and that, yeah, I'm really a girl and she doesn't want to date girls anymore. She now is happy with her new boy friend.

So, there is that experience.

As for guys, I have two experiences during transition.

One was with a guy who didn't know that I was TS. We flirted, we made out, we were very close and he didn't know. I realized this and actually talked to a mutual friend about it, and she thought that he had to know form a friend, or must of figured it out -- but he didn't. I got her to probe him a bit. He was clueless.

Guess how much fun it is to explain to a guy who've been half naked with that you're not like the other girls, and some parts seem a little different on me than the average girl.

So, yeah, anyway, we end up sleeping together. He then started to refer himself as bi in bed and homo-flexable. That pissed me off, cause he was saying that he was having gay sex with me. And I was WTF? He didn't get it. I really didn't enjoy the sex part (I'm not attracted to men, but thought I'd test the waters).

Anyway, long story short, he ended up not to talk to me and went on drinking binge for a week to get over me cause he has a crush on me as a girl, but I have boy parts still... he had problems wrapping his little brain cell around it.

Other guy experience. This guy knew, and he and my ex were sexual partners for a bit (my ex and I tried opening up the relationship, thus, I gained some experience then). Well, all of use decided to go together, yep, three in the bed. He was nervous because he's purely a straight guy. He mentioned that it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. But as time went buy it messed with his head too, and he started questioning his sexuality.

That's the thing that pisses me off about men the most, is that the penis plays such a huge part in how they see you. They keep thinking gay and bugs me to know end.

I have had other guys who had no idea about my TS status, and upon finding out run away very fast.  Women, not as much, but it depends, too. Straight women, not as much, Lesbian, depends. Some Lesbians that know my status will not talk to me -- I do not exist to them.

Sadly, when you are intimate with someone a lot of people focus on the body parts. Only for a few people out there it doesn't matter and they can get over themselves.

I haven't dated a trans person before -- Kissed and made out with my very cute trans girl friend, but that's about it. And then broke a few hearts with a couple of other's. Trans people can seem like a good idea, and in some ways it can be because you have a lot in common -- but dating a trans person has other issues, too. Personally, although I find some trans people attractive, some drive me nuts and I could never date because they have so many issues going on that a relationship isn't the best thing for them at that time. It's not easy to date a trans person. If you are both stable and on the same level, it's a lot easier -- if one or both have tons of insecurities to work through, it can be difficult to get through the relationship.

As for myself. I'm considering dating again, but I am unsure. I don't know if I'm ready enough or not. Part of me wants to, but another part wants to hold off for a bit. I'll just have to see what comes my way.

As for your sexual orientation, it's common to flip back and forth for a bit. Sometimes people don't, and sometimes they do -- and some people change after surgery, or before.

Personally, I've tried guys, but didn't like them. I don't find guys attractive, but I do like when guys treat me like a woman. I find woman attractive, but if I'm going to date a woman she needs to be a bit on the dominate/butch side (but not over the top, although). Basically, a woman is going to have to treat me like  a woman and her girlfriend/partner, and not as a boy. I can't stand when a woman wants to shove me into the male role and treat me as her boyfriend (that happened in my last relationship).

still, I'm open, because things change and I don't know -- maybe after I'm post op things will change. I try not to worry about it so much or stick myself in a box.

--natalie

PS I wouldn't worry about finding someone, a pretty face like yours? Soon you're going to have men annoy you and you're going to turn jaded like me and bitch about men basically humping your leg every time you walk out the door to other girls.

PSS I hope what I wrote makes sence. It's 5 am and I've been up all night. Natalie needs some sleep -- she's a crazy night owl who stays up way to late and like a vampire, goes to bed when the sun rises.
  •  

melissa90299

The only upside to having a relationship pre-op is that if you are pretty, you can easily find (literally) thousands of "admirers" to beat a path to your door. In my experience these men treat you really well but there is something unsavory about the whole thing. OTOH you have a big supply of guys to entertain you and you can save your money for surgeries. (In fact, there are a lot of men out there that will "help you out" with your surgeries but I would never stoop to that)

But after SRS, it is completely different, although there are a lot of men who will not want anything to do with you if you disclose the past. I don't think women have a problem with your past. I had a couple pre-op women to women relationships, there are a lot of bi-women who are willing to "explore" their kink and that is unsavory too. The last woman I had sex with pre-op is dying to see me post-op but I broke it off with her when I got sober eight months ago as she is still drinking.

Being a 4 on the Kinsey Scale (0=exclusively straight 6=exclusively homosexual) I always wanted to find a female partner who would have stood by me while I went through all of this with me. That woman is hard to find. If one likes men, I might suggest that casual dates with "admirers" might be the way to go.
  •  

Ember Lewis

Thanks everyone, I am worried about the pre-op thing but I won't let that ruin my life. I have been very needy lately and have cried at night cuz I wish I had someone. I have one really good girl friend, we would hang out all the time. But she's back with her ex-boyfriend and I don't see her as much as I would like. and I just found out my other girl friend is kinda seeing someone, "so that's why she's been canceling our plans lately". I find my self alone at home more than I would like and feel left out being the only girl who's not with someone. I do get attention from men but it's always ones that I'm not attracted to. I guess theres not much I can do but hope that something will happen so I can meet someone, I do prefer girls but it's also a lot harder for me to ask a girl out. Men are genaraly much stupider and easy >:D, I hope I don't have to wait for years until I get all the surgeries I want to be with someone. And your so right Natalie that other trans girls often have too many problems, but there are some that I would date. "Thanks everyone I love reading all your posts"
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteHow do you handle Relationships

With a pot holder.
  •  

NicholeW.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Quote from: lisagurl on November 18, 2007, 02:33:32 PM
QuoteHow do you handle Relationships

With a pot holder.

LOL. Wow, Lisa, that is quite a method. Your SO doesn't care that you handle her or him w/ a potholder?!! How strange to think about.

Jessica, you have to handle this in ways you feel comfy. What the rest of us did or did not do may give you some ideas, but what's important is how you feel about it.

Yes, some guys will beat feet to your door daily when you are pre-op. There may be something that attracts them to you because you are you and there may be some attracted because you partake of both genders at the same time.

I imagine you have to judge each individual case on its own merits. I have known people who got together with males prior to srs and their relationships have lasted happily for years and years. I have known others who thought they had a strong relationship, but when the penis was inverted the relationship parted ways with itself.

And yes, there are a number of lesbians who will deny that you will ever be a woman and will have nothing to do with you at all if they discover you are TS. OTH, there are lotsa lesbians who might well be attracted, and have been, to TS women. Like I said before, an individual judgement needs making in every case.

The main individual judgement though is how comfortable and ready to commit to a relationship you might be: who you want ideally, who you are willing to accept as ideal even if they don't qualify in all ways and things such as that.

Good luck, just use your head and intuition and I think you will do fine. You don't strike me as being flighty or unthinking in any way and neither do you strike me as someone who will simply rush into a relationship without due consideration.

Hugs.
  •  

melissa90299

Quote from: Jessica G on November 18, 2007, 01:49:53 PM
Men are genaraly much stupider and easy >:D, I hope I don't have to wait for years until I get all the surgeries I want to be with someone. And your so right Natalie that other trans girls often have too many problems, but there are some that I would date. "Thanks everyone I love reading all your posts"

Girls are a much better option pre-op, yes, some will want to explore their kink and want you to use your boy parts (as Natalie calls them) but tell them that you don't even acknowledge you have boy parts and it is likely they will "get it." The women I was with pre-op never saw, felt or touched my "boy parts."
  •  

Cindi Jones

Be active in those social things that interest you. 

Be a friend to those in need.

Plan to live alone but be receptive to opportunities as they arise.

Be honest to yourself and to others.

Cindi

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Tanya1

Honestly Jessica, you look very cute and adorable, also pretty.
  •  

Ember Lewis

Thank-You it's so nice to hear things like that :)
  •  

LostInTime

Cindi really nailed it and that worked for me.

Now if only I could find a way to train myself to stop falling for the unavailable ones and be happy with those who are pursuing me. LOL
  •