Mastodon Mastodon

Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Towards a Unified Approach: Gender Inclusion in Sports

Started by SoupSarah, July 16, 2024, 05:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupSarah

Sports have long served as a platform for showcasing human potential, breaking barriers, and fostering inclusivity. A whole generation of young gender incongruent people are missing out on this vital aspect of their formative years. Later on, they are being denied competition and exercise and have a dismissive stance on any sort of participation.

The Paralympics, a global event dedicated to athletes with disabilities. Has always amazed me with it's spirit of inclusiveness and the celebration of diverse capabilities. As society progresses towards greater gender equality, the methodology used in these games could inspire similar efforts to accommodate all genders in sports at all ages and all levels. I think we need to start a discussion on how the principles and practices of some structure and organisation of sport might be adapted to create a more inclusive sporting environment for all genders without diminishing either the participation, the engagement or the entertainment.

The Paralympics were established to provide athletes with disabilities a platform to compete at the highest level. This movement has grown into a global phenomenon that emphasizes the abilities of athletes rather than their disabilities. The classification system used in the Paralympics is a cornerstone of this inclusivity, ensuring fair competition by grouping athletes based on the nature and extent of their impairments. This system is meticulous and dynamic, designed to level the playing field. Athletes undergo rigorous evaluations to determine the category that best matches their functional abilities. This system, though complex, has been successful in creating equitable competition and is saleable from rigorous high level sports (like the Olympics) to kids playing soccer at school.

Here are several strategies that I am just spit balling but could be drawn from the Paralympic model:

Adapting a classification system for gender inclusivity involves recognizing the diverse spectrum of gender identities. This system would classify athletes based on their gender identity and physiological attributes relevant to the sport. Such a classification could ensure that all athletes compete on an equal footing, acknowledging the unique challenges faced by each gender. However, this raises questions about the criteria for classification and how to balance physiological differences with gender identity. It would need to be studied carefully and constantly modified - but it would not segregate chess players or 'frisbee golfers' to anything like it would 110m hurdlers. I imagine maybe one category for chess champions - but 3, maybe 4 for high end gymnastics for example.

The Paralympics are governed by inclusive policies that promote participation from all athletes with disabilities. Similarly, sports organizations should implement policies that explicitly support gender inclusivity. This includes anti-discrimination policies, equal access to facilities, and the inclusion of non-binary (non-gendered) categories in competitions. A discussion is needed on how to create and enforce these policies effectively across different sports and cultural contexts.

As always educational programs will played a crucial role. They were fundamental in the success of the Paralympics by raising awareness about disabilities and promoting acceptance. To achieve gender inclusivity, similar initiatives are essential. These programs should focus on gender diversity, the importance of inclusion, and the benefits of a diverse sporting environment. How can such educational initiatives be designed and implemented to foster genuine understanding and support?

Athletes in the Paralympics benefit from tailored support structures, including specialized coaching, equipment, and medical care much like their able bodied counterparts. Gender-inclusive sports should adopt similar support systems, providing resources that cater to the needs of all genders. This includes access to gender-sensitive training programs, mental health support, and facilities that respect privacy and dignity. What specific support structures are necessary, and how can they be standardized across sports?

While the Paralympic model offers valuable insights, there are unique challenges in implementing a similar system for gender inclusivity. The primary challenge lies in developing a universally accepted classification system for gender, given the complexity and fluidity of gender identities. Moreover, societal attitudes towards gender inclusivity in sports can vary widely, necessitating a gradual and culturally sensitive approach. That could be a category system that is focused on biology and biochemical history rather than making hundreds of labels. Factors such as hormone levels, date of puberty etc. Something that could demonstratably effect an outcome should be considered and if it does not fit into one categorisation, then make 2 or 3 or so on.. But this is only at top level sporting events, for most people it will have little impact. I will still be the last to be picked for a football team, but will go along to make up the numbers!!..

So, there are many models and ways forward to make sport fairer and more inclusive. The Paralympic model is one and they have set a precedent for inclusivity by creating a competitive environment that celebrates diverse abilities. By adopting similar principles and defining our own, sports can become more inclusive for all genders, ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to compete fairly and with dignity. The journey towards gender inclusivity in sports requires commitment, innovation, and a willingness to embrace diversity. Drawing from the successes elsewhere, the sporting world can move closer to a future where every athlete, regardless of gender, is celebrated for their unique talents and contributions.

I would like This to serve as a starting point for further discussion on how best to achieve this goal, inviting input from athletes, organizations, policymakers, and the broader community. I post it here and welcome any thoughts you have - I have/will also send it/post it to people in influence (please give me suggestions) and in other areas of the internet.. I do feel this is an important discussion.
Oh no I've said too much
I haven't said enough

Please Note: Everything I write is my own opinion - People seem to get confused  over this
  •  

BlueJaye

I happen to be the resident trans athlete warrior fighting this fight. My story has been published by The Ring and Outsports.

https://www.ringtv.com/article/divisions/

https://www.outsports.com/2024/6/14/24095723/katie-christensen-trans-athlete-usa-boxing-ring/

This is a topic that really isn't going to be solved with creative rules or classification systems. I have learned a lot in my battle against USA Boxing, especially from Outsports' journalist Karleigh Webb. She is a living encyclopedia of information pertaining to what has been happening with transgender people in the sports world. Tom Gerbasi of The Ring also shared some insights with me that made it clear that this isn't really a matter of just classifying people or making new rules.

Most sports organizations that have any kind of transgender athlete policy or special rules for transgender people built their policies and rules around the IOC Framework on Fairness, Inclusion, Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity and Sex Variations. The biggest problem with this framework is that it has no power of enforcement. Its a good document, and I really wish that national governing bodies for sports had to follow it.

This framework has produced transgender athlete policies all over the spectrum; from absolutely atrocious (like USA Boxing's) to fairly inclusive. I'll use boxing as an example, since I know the policy and that global situation family well. The US policy says that ALL transgender athletes over the age of 18 MUST undergo gender reassignment surgery, wait four years after surgery, and produce quarterly hormone level test results for 4 years under a specific threshold. USA Boxing's interpretation of their policy is that the moment you disclose that you are transgender, all of these rules apply to you, regardless of any plans you have regarding medical treatments. And until you meet ALL of the criteria, you cannot be a member AT ALL. You can't compete in your identified gender's class, you can't compete in the class of the sex you were assigned at birth, you can't even be a non-athlete member and be a volunteer official. You are not allowed fo participate in the sport AT ALL until you have met those criteria.

On the other side of the Pacific ocean, the Filipino policy, written under the same framework, is allowing Hergie Bacyadan to compete in the Olympics in Paris. He is a transgender man who has not undergone any medical treatment and is competing in the women's class. If Hergie were an American athlete, he not only would NOT be going to the Olympics, he would not be allowed to even be in the sport since he has not had any surgeries, has not had any hormone treatments, and of course has not met the four year post-operative requirement. Same framework, very different outcome.

I am not alone in my struggle to bring reform to the sports world regarding the usage of extremely restrictive policies to effectively ban transgender athletes from sports. There is currently a case heading to the Minnesota Supreme Court climate has been moving slowly through the system for five years now, because Jaycee Cooper encountered a similar situation with USA Powerlifting.

Really, this is an issue with the IOC and their lack of commitment to making the sports world inclusive. They don't care about us and several of their top people are known to be openly hostile toward transgender people. And it's also a similar situation with the national governing bodies. Many of them have people in leadership positions making decisions based on their own personal biases. And when it's not straight up bias, it's lawyers running the show trying to protect the organizations from imaginary lawsuits for situations which are extremely unlikely to even happen. The policies are not being written with the best interest of athletes in mind, they are being written with brand image preservation as the top priority.

The best thing that could happen, at least in the case of sports ties to the Olympics, is that grassroots amateur organizations would form and just boycott all involvement with the IOC and their subordinates. This has been happening for a couple of years now in the cycling world. When the UCI bullied USA Cycling into adopting a restrictive transgender athlete policy, several new non-olympic cycling organizations were born because, by and large, the cycling world is very inclusive of trans and queer people and they weren't going to let their fellow athletes be pushed out of the sport.

This needs to start happening with ALL sports that have highly restrictive transgender athlete policies. Boycott the IOC and the Olympics, bypass their subordinates, and start drawing the athletes, fan base, and revenue dollars away from the IOC and the Olympics.

Iztaccihuatl

I also think that the Paralympic model doesn't work for trans athletes as it promotes exclusion. The Paralympic Games are held after the Olympic Games, they are governed by the IPC, not the IOC. Real inclusion would mean that para and regular events are held side by side as part of the Olympic movement, not 3 weeks later as a separate 2nd class event for which tickets usually are free to get at least a few locals to populate grandstands, while for the Olympics tickets can cost hundreds of dollars.

It is also worth noting that para athletes compete at para events voluntarily since they always have an option to compete in regular events as well, however they choose the para events because their disability makes it hard to compete with able bodied athletes at the same level, so in a sense para events are a protected area to level the laying field. Trans athletes on the other hand, in particular trans women, would be forced to compete in the trans / gender variant events even though they would prefer to compete in the regular events. That is forced exclusion and therefore not acceptable.

If we went down the route of creating special trans / gender variant events, this would permanently close off regular events for trans women in particular as the argument from anti-trans people will go that there are special events so "we don't want you trans folk in our events". Not exactly what I would like to see.

I'd also like to point out that the classification of para athletes isn't perfect either. For example, in rowing where I have some exposure to, there are 3 categories: (1) arms only, (2) arms and trunk and (3) arms, trunk and legs. I know of a para rower who has some very limited use of his legs and kind of falls in between categories 2 and 3, so they rated him 3 and he has to compete with folks who have full use of their legs, so not exactly an even playing field either. Similarly, how many categories would we have to create for trans and gender variant events? And there will still be folks who fall between the cracks.

Also, on para events, especially on a local level, there often is not any meaningful competition due to lack of entries. I often see para rowing events with zero or just one entry. As a trans woman I'd rather be part of a women's eight or four than going down the race course in a single as the lone entry to receive a gold medal that was guaranteed from the beginning. In my opinion there is no value in doing this. US Rowing has been offering open gender events for Masters for the last 2 years, primarily aimed at non-binary athletes. Last year there were 2 entries at the National championships, this year there is only one. Not exactly a healthy competition when there are other events with up to 24 entries.

A quick note on boycotts: it won't work. No cis person is going to boycott the Olympics for which they prepared for four or more years over the issue of trans inclusion.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

SoupSarah

Thank you both for your insights and comments, I truly learnt stuff reading through both of your replies..
I would want to just point out one thing I think you both are missing (and then maybe a question)
You both are looking at IOC and top-level athletes and your arguments for exclusion are understood. However, my main concern in sparking this debate here is to address the total lack of participation in sport by the majority of trans* people. By standing by and only focusing on the very very complicated top level issues in competition - we disenfranchise the majority of amateur participants who are side-lined only because of their gender from pursing a sport more probably as a hobby than a career.. Sure, all levels need addressing and maybe what is being demonstrated here is that there are even more solutions across these levels. That does beg the question of how complicated does it all get when a group of teenagers want to play soccer on a weekend league..

So my question is this. I believe the reasons given for excluding transgender people from sports focuses on concerns about fairness and safety. Critics argue that transgender women may retain physical advantages over cisgender women, such as muscle mass and bone density, even after hormone therapy, potentially giving them an unfair competitive edge. Safety concerns arise in contact sports, where physical differences might increase the risk of injury for cisgender women. Some believe that biological differences should keep AMAB and AFAB athletes in separate categories, fearing that inclusion could undermine the integrity of women's sports and the achievements of cisgender women. Additionally, sporting organizations face challenges in creating inclusive yet fair policies, ensuring an even playing field while respecting gender identity. I understand this is why there is a 4 year ban on transfemale fighters as BlueJay reported.. the fear that the differences between someone who underwent a purely Estrogen fuelled development, puberty and adulthood is biomechanically at a disadvantage and even danger from a competitor who had a Testosterone fuelled development and could of only in very recent history decided to reveal their gender. (sorry long winded, but I want to make sure I summarised the argument against as succinctly as I could) - so the question is how do you overcome these concerns without there being some form of categorisation or gatekeeping?
Oh no I've said too much
I haven't said enough

Please Note: Everything I write is my own opinion - People seem to get confused  over this
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: D'Amalie

BlueJaye

@SoupSarah the reason the majority of trans people don't participate in sports is because of the highly exclusionary policies. And the reason that the policies exists is because of the IOC. And the reason that the IOC is willing to put so much effort into an issue that effects so few people is political pressure and sponsor pressure. As someone who is literally fighting this war, and has been in contact with attorneys about starting an alternative to the IOC/USOPC ran governing bodies, I can tell you that the problem isn't that trans people simply don't want to participate in sports. It's that the gate is blocked miles away from the entry point. In many sports you can't realistically participate if you're trans.
  •