Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Do you think your country would elected a trans* person to its highest office?

Started by SailorMars1994, April 26, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody Rich

Personally, I am a conservative and a Republican, which flies in the face of my transgender status, but shouldn't.

My belief is that being a conservative has two parts.
1. The belief in individual freedom.  That said, if I want to wear a dress and change my name to Melody, this nation affords people to do that.

2.  Personal responsibility.  I have a duty to be responsible for my own actions. However, I can not force others to think and act they way I would like. You don't want to call me "her", that's fine.  You don't need to.

So, to answer the question.  I think having a transgender president is fine.  I'm not one of those people who are hoping to break a barrier and be part of history though.  It is important though that people realize that we are a variation of human development and while not mainstream, there is nothing abnormal about us.

My only hope is that if we do have a transgender president, there is an R after the name.

•  

Jenn104

In no way, shape, or form is it possible to imagine a transgender president being elected here in the states, at least in the short term. While I would vote for a trans person, based on his/her/their policy preferences, I can't see either party nominating a trans or NB person for a long time.

I can imagine a trans candidacy along the lines of Shirley Chisolm in 1972.  It'd be kinda cool.

As for D vs R.. increasingly it does not matter to me. Jerry Garcia's words apply-- "constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil".

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Brooke Renee

Hello,

Based on the estimated percentage of trans people in the US, there is already a likely chance that one of the 45 occasionally slipped on a pair of heels in the Oval. 

As for as electing an openly trans person?  Gulp, I can't see that happening.  From what I have seen, the link between religion and politics has become inextricably entangled in the US.  For many, this has become their yardstick in which to measure everyone to their narrow view of morality.  The far right espouses freedom but they only seek freedom for those that agree with them.  For the MAGA tribe this is white, christian, straight, male, etc.  Any trans person that would run for would be subject to a litany of attacks from the pulpits, general population, and right wing media such as FOX.  It would take an incredible person to overcome this onslaught of hate and ignorance. 

•  

ChrissyRyan

Who knows!  I want the best person for the position.
I would not vote for a particular person JUST because of gender identity.
Perhaps as a tie breaker but rarely are two possible candidates equally perceived.
So far I have not knowingly been presented with this situation.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

D'Amalie

In UK or USA, I don't see it happening for at least 50 years, unless a miracle happens.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •