Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How do you see the term "marriage"?

Started by redhot1, April 30, 2017, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elkie-t

Quote from: Medium-sized Bird on October 06, 2017, 09:15:33 PM
I'm confused by this phrasing. Do you think the primary reason of marriage is to raise children? Do you have any thoughts on married couples without children?
Married couples might not have any children at the moment, but I think raising children together (eventually) is a primary function of a family, distinguished it from mere sexual relationship or a commune. And I did not mean only biological children - they can adopt if they wish so.

Obviously, I'm not a lawyer and not a politically correct person. But I say as I see it, and realize there are more exceptions to the rules than the rules. Yet, what I wrote defines my current thinking of a marriage at this moment of time-space continuum.
  •  

flower1221

proving your commitment with a legal agreement
  •  

rmaddy

The idea that the purpose of marriage is procreation is the dreamchild of the Catholic church, the largest, most sexually terrified organization in the world.  Go figure.
  •  

Jenntrans

I know this is a little old but I just have to chime in. The way I view marriage? State sanctioned and Religious dictated only. Do I really need the state or a religion to allow me to love someone and dedicate my love to that person? No. as for polygamy, I can't no more condone or condemn that as I can marriage, gay marriage or any other type of marriage sanctioned by a religion or state either dictated or sanctioned. Marriage does not equate love and vice versa.

To me contractual agreements and religious doctrines have a way of bringing down the Love aspect between intimate partners.

This has only been my opinion on the subject but the states make a lot of money by issuing marriage licenses, the church head make money by wedding people in holy matrimony and divorce lawyers make out like bandits since roughly 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. But what about the love and the freedom to love? If that means loving another why should the state or a religious institute be involved? It should be between the people involved only.

Again, just my opinion. >:-)
  •  

ainsley

Marriage is a contract, under the law in my State, at least.  When I changed my legal gender I asked my lawyer what would happen to my marriage because same sex marriage was not legal at the time.  She said that contract cannot be changed by the State because it was valid when it took place, under the law then.  So, all in all, a marriage is a contract.  Regional laws may dictate the terms of that contract, like, genders, etc., but it is still just a contract.

Only religion <tries to> dictates genders in a marriage.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

King Malachite

I see marriage as a divine union when two people go before God and at least two witnesses to make life-lasting vows, and when the two become one flesh.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Zquence

I see marriage as a legally binding of two peoples (maybe more) everything.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

•  

Kylo

Quote from: redhot1 on April 30, 2017, 12:43:08 PM
How do the trans* community see the word "marriage"? I definitely won't have a problem with two men or two women living together, I am not a religious fundamentalist. But, I guess I am fundamentalist when it comes to the human language. Isn't "marriage" defined as one man and one woman? Even regardless of one or both partners being trans or not? Am I overthinking things?

In India people can get ceremonially married to dogs, so... I don't buy this idea the definition of the word marriage is man + woman, except in religious circles, in which case it means anything they want it to mean (like marrying dogs to slough all your bad luck onto the dog). To me it's just a legal bonding ceremony, sometimes religious and legal but generally for the purposes of laws and rights. That's what it's chiefly always been about even in the Bible - own owns what as a result.

Which is why the anti gay marriage crowd have such a weak argument. Two guys or two women marrying for the legal rights granted doesn't take anything away from anyone else or from society. People who say it somehow cheapens their own hetero marriage because they saw a gay wedding clearly have issues of their own.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Jessica Lynne

it's the only permanent cure for love.  ;)
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: Jessica Lynne on December 19, 2017, 12:50:53 PM

My marriage is the antithesis of that statement. <3

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Thessa

Maybe and add children to the mix.
I see all the unhappy marriages with children and all other friends are in long-term relationships without major issues.

What I can see from the outside.
But in a few cases also from speaking to them on a very personal level.
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: Thessa on December 19, 2017, 01:10:09 PM
Maybe and add children to the mix.
I see all the unhappy marriages with children and all other friends are in long-term relationships without major issues.

What I can see from the outside.
But in a few cases also from speaking to them on a very personal level.

My marriage with children is the antithesis to this statement, too.  <3

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Thessa

Quote from: ainsley on December 19, 2017, 02:04:37 PM
My marriage with children is the antithesis to this statement, too.  <3
Lucky you! [emoji4]

I'm pretty sure that my marriage with children was the beginning of the downfall of our relationship.
But I admit that my expectations didn't help...I should have known that it can't work in the long run.
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: Thessa on December 19, 2017, 02:10:54 PM
Lucky you! [emoji4]

I'm pretty sure that my marriage with children was the beginning of the downfall of our relationship.
But I admit that my expectations didn't help...I should have known that it can't work in the long run.

I think I am lucky, too.  But, I think she is lucky, too!  holla!

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Jenntrans

I don't know how you meant this but marriage is the cause for divorce.

Love needs no contractual agreements. Either you do or you don't. Why should sanctioned marriage be a condition? I can hire a lawyer to give my partner the same benefits as a husband or wife would have. When you are married and even in a Will it can be contested by family members. when you hire a lawyer which is cheaper than a wedding and you get more benefits for your partner that can't be contested family members. Why? because it is a contract with written law without emotional components involved when you write a contract. The state in which I live the children can take everything away from the surviving spouse if they wish to contest the common law or marriage so you have to see a lawyer to write a will. LOL what child would do that? You may be surprised. It sux but... It is just human nature when you have property and so on. When my mom died I could have had everything because my step dad had dementia and later on diagnosed with Alzheimer's . His kids got whatever they had and I am good with that. Or I hope so at least after I take my last breath. ???

But just because you are married don't think you have rights. Consult a lawyer and make it totally official in a court of law.
  •  

Jessica Lynne

Awww...Jenn, it was a joke. Do you ever tire of spreading your happy, positive, progressive thoughts? That was rhetorical and facetious by the way. I don't need one of your long winded justifications. Please. I don't. Really.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Jessica Lynne on December 19, 2017, 05:02:04 PM
Awww...Jenn, it was a joke. Do you ever tire of spreading your happy, positive, progressive thoughts? That was rhetorical and facetious by the way. I don't need one of your long winded justifications. Please. I don't. Really.

OK so long windedness, just sorry. ::) I just find it more serious than a "joke". Some really want to be married. :embarrassed: :'( :embarrassed: :'( :embarrassed:
  •  

babu

Shouldn't be relevant as an issue, but I see it as a legal structure to support 'couples' in raising children at its essence, and in reality that has nothing to do with sex, nor even gender, of the parents. And indeed children come and go, and sometimes don't come at all - so for practical purposes just a type of contract between two consenting adults about co-living and co-dependency. With its purpose to enable sharing of resources in a defined manner such that if can offer measures of security, which enable trust, and therefore promote greater individual success, for the power of a couple can be higher then that of two individuals - but done so within, understood by, and accepted within the society. With that though, like anything that involves responsibility, comes with it the potential for abuse, neglect and disintegration.
  •  

DawnOday

It's very important as it is my covenant between my spouse and my God. My inability to address my being transgender that came between us. I mean this woman was my everything, and I failed. Luckily I was able to move on and now have been married to my second wife for 35 years. Although we have two children it has never really been a sexual relationship, but she has always been my rock
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

natalie.ashlyne

I personally would love to get Married, My definition of marriage is two people that Love each other unconditionally become one. I don't care on what combination of people just legal age
  •