Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Poll: Best times for support meetings

Started by Tracey, May 05, 2017, 08:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When would you prefer to attend a support group or meeting? Choose as many as you like.

Sunday AM
0 (0%)
Sunday PM
3 (18.8%)
Monday AM
0 (0%)
Monday PM
2 (12.5%)
Tuesday AM
0 (0%)
Tuesday PM
5 (31.3%)
Wednesday AM
0 (0%)
Wednesday PM
6 (37.5%)
Thursday AM
0 (0%)
Thursday PM
6 (37.5%)
Friday AM
0 (0%)
Friday PM
1 (6.3%)
Saturday AM
0 (0%)
Saturday PM
3 (18.8%)
Never, I'm antisocial.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Devlyn

If I  build it, will they come? Anyone that ever started a group wonders that.

When could or would you go to a meeting? Select all the times that are applicable to you and  feel free to change your selections. Maybe this will help someone plan a successful meeting or group.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Laurie

All I have to add is location location location.  I have 2 in my general area and I am reluctant to attend either due to where they are being held. I would go otherwise.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

annaqnguyen

I think it might be better if you further refine the poll's PM time to be "afternoon" and "evening", as those would be quite separate spots.

All four of our PFLAG Austin support group meetings are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 6:46 - 9pm, on various week of the month.  When we added the fourth meeting recently, we tried to make it on the third Wednesday evening of the month but was not able to secure a venue for that day of the week.

I think our meeting time has worked very well.  It allows enough time for people to deal with after-work things before coming to the meeting and does not run so late as to allow parents of school-age children, and their children, to attend.

Also, staying out of the weekend probably makes it more likely that those who are not out to their loved ones will be able to attend.

Also, we try to find venues that would allow for discreet entry/exit.
  •  

Mariah

None were near me so I just made my way through transition without one. So my option would be none of the above just because it wasn't an option during transition and after transition just isn't a need for me. If I need one now, then I would have to choose Monday nights or weekends. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

ainsley

My workdays are long.  I would rather do a meeting sat or sun at noon, than any other time.  Locally they are Mondays at 7pm.  I have yet to attend one...  My day starts at 4:30am.  I am asleep on the couch by 8pm, usually. lol
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

JoanneB

To counterpoint "Location....."  I'll say Time Time Time. I tend to find weeknights generally booked between my work schedule and home responsibilities. Here in the "Garden State" a person with a for real job (aka not working for the government) has a good 30-45 minute minimum commute without the traffic being hosed because of some idiot and tends to work till 4:30 or 5:00. Getting anywhere not in the same town or the outside chance the next one over.... 20 minutes minimum. Want to eat dinner?  Perhaps need to change clothes or shower? Kiss an SO hello?  Forget a 6:00 start time. 7:00 is really pushing it. Since it is a weeknight 8:00 is looking too late.

Hence my vote for a weekend evening.

And... as (bad) luck tends to have it for me, somehow the Second Saturday is a very popular choice. What's wrong with first or third? (Aside the obvious "Odd" week reference  ;D ). The others all seem to start at 6:00. Fine if you live and work in that city. I have gone to a PFLAG group a town over from where I work. It starts at 7:00 on a Monday, I finish work at 5:00 (officially).  But I guess they know people travel from NYC to the Jersey Shore and even 7:00 is cutting it close for some. (I drive the opposite, from the shore to just outside NYC, against all those poor suckers stuck in all that traffic)
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •