News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Suspected Gout while taking Finasteride

Started by sophie1904, May 30, 2017, 02:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophie1904

Hey,

I've experienced excruciating pain in my right foot at the big toe joint which the symptoms point to a possible gout flare up (pain, swelling, tissue heat and inconsistent pain that flares up mostly at night). This first occurred early morning on Saturday and again last night into today so for 3 days.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm taking Finasteride which as a diuretic may increase the risk of gout but hrt in general is expected to reduce it - does anyone have any experience of gout attacks while on HRT?

Thanks!

Sophie (bed-bound and in agony :()
  •  

Janes Groove

I developed Plantar fasciitis while on spiro. I suspected gout as well.  But it was plantar fasciitis which is related to potassium levels.

But I went on youtube and did some of the suggested physical therapy exercises and it went away.

•  

KarynMcD

Quote from: sophie1904 on May 30, 2017, 02:14:30 PM
I'm taking Finasteride which as a diuretic

Finasteride is not a diuretic.
Gout is an uncommon side effect of using it though.
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/finasteride/gout/
  •  

MistressStevie

Having battled with Gout for many years now, I have found there can be very limited correlation between attacks and specific behaviors.  Sometimes flares just happen.  They can be less intense, shorter, and rarer while on Uloric or Alopurinol (sp?), but nothing guarantees no flares for us with the missing enzymes.  If your uric acid level in your blood did not go up, they correlation may be hard to document or not even consistent. 

I have this personal theory that changes in routine can give the crystals the window they need to get to painful levels.

I will keep an eye on this thread for better information that my observations.   

-mS
  •  

sophie1904

The doctor is pretty sure it's not so that's reassuring and the swelling and pain has gone down a lot after a lot of ibuprofen so unknown at this stage but getting better :)

Still in bed but a lot more comfortable!
  •