Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Orchiectomy cost and concerns

Started by Tracey, June 01, 2017, 10:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

I didn't think I was done here, but apparently I am. Thanks for all the contributions. Thread locked.
  •  

Cindy

I think it is way past time for certain members to grow up and stop hijacking threads into political arguments.

I have removed a number of posts and I have been very lenient in moderating comments.
If there is any more such carry on I shall not be so lenient.

Cindy
Forum Admin

Thread Unlocked
  •  

Devlyn

Thank you, Cindy.

Sixteen days post orchiectomy. Bruises fading fast, swelling continues to go down. Tomorrow I am having a routine hormone levels recheck and expecting T to be pretty low.

I'm shifting gears on this topic. The orchiectomy I expect is a complete success. However, now I'm dealing with the aftereffects of whatever caused the bleeding. The incision is still partially open and draining small amounts.

The mental effects are starting to wear on me. The delay in healing. The uncertainty of where this will end. The worrying about it getting infected. I have about a teaspoon of emotional strength left.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Megan.

Hang in there Devlyn,  sending some extra emotional strength first class air mail.
FWIW the bruising looks much better. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Christine1

I agree with Megan the bruising has gone down a ton. It looks so much better Girl! One way to stop the bleeding is to stop putting ur legs behind ur head. I know it's a bad joke but I couldn't help myself.

It will work its self out Girl!

Stay positive girl!!

((Hugs))

Love Christine

Therapy 1-4-2017
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: meganjames2 on September 24, 2017, 03:17:56 PM
Hang in there Devlyn,  sending some extra emotional strength first class air mail.
FWIW the bruising looks much better. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Thanks, Megan!

Quote from: Christine1 on September 24, 2017, 03:25:08 PM
I agree with Megan the bruising has gone down a ton. It looks so much better Girl! One way to stop the bleeding is to stop putting ur legs behind ur head. I know it's a bad joke but I couldn't help myself.

It will work its self out Girl!

Stay positive girl!!

((Hugs))

Love Christine

Do you think I'll be ready to have Megan's first class postman do it?  >:-)

Hugs to both of you!  Devlyn
  •  

Christine1

If he's Hot and came give You the Boom Boom! lol!!

Therapy 1-4-2017
  •  

Leslie601

I know how you feel!  I'm spending time on the computer and watching videos. Still sore too.

Wish it was farther behind me/

Leslie
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Devlyn, I've just been catching up on the thread.  I'm glad to hear you're doing good.  I guess I was lucky or I had a great surgeon or both since I had no swelling, no bruising, no pain and Miss Dee practically had to sit on me the first couple of days to keep me in bed.  On the way home from surgery, we stopped and picked up lunch which I sat at our kitchen table to eat.  Oh and Devlyn, I know what you mean about the coffee.  When I woke up the nurse asked if I wanted something to drink and I asked for coffee.  No such luck and I had to settle for a Coke.  And be glad you had started HRT before the orchi.  I didn't get estrogen until five weeks later and the hot flashes were so bad, I had fans blowing on me from three directions.

It did result in one those humorous married moment things.  "Dear, I'm running low on pads and still spotting at little.  Would you stop by the store and pick up a pack for me."  Miss Dee had said that to me a few times over the years but I never thought I would be saying that to her.  :laugh:
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on September 24, 2017, 05:43:26 PM
Devlyn, I've just been catching up on the thread.  I'm glad to hear you're doing good.  I guess I was lucky or I had a great surgeon or both since I had no swelling, no bruising, no pain and Miss Dee practically had to sit on me the first couple of days to keep me in bed.  On the way home from surgery, we stopped and picked up lunch which I sat at our kitchen table to eat.  Oh and Devlyn, I know what you mean about the coffee.  When I woke up the nurse asked if I wanted something to drink and I asked for coffee.  No such luck and I had to settle for a Coke.  And be glad you had started HRT before the orchi.  I didn't get estrogen until five weeks later and the hot flashes were so bad, I had fans blowing on me from three directions.

It did result in one those humorous married moment things.  "Dear, I'm running low on pads and still spotting at little.  Would you stop by the store and pick up a pack for me."  Miss Dee had said that to me a few times over the years but I never thought I would be saying that to her.  :laugh:

Ah, revenge. It tastes like chicken.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Ashley3

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 24, 2017, 03:00:43 PM
... I'm shifting gears on this topic. The orchiectomy I expect is a complete success. However, now I'm dealing with the aftereffects of whatever caused the bleeding. The incision is still partially open and draining small amounts.

The mental effects are starting to wear on me. The delay in healing. The uncertainty of where this will end. The worrying about it getting infected. I have about a teaspoon of emotional strength left. ...

Hey Devlyn, I just checked in here today saw your post... hang in there gal! I'm not sure if you're busy doing a lot of forum stuff but make sure you create space to relax and recover without a lot of mental logistics/strain.

Also make sure to use your doctor's phone number if you have genuine new concerns... I don't say that as a standard online forum post disclaimer thing... (I can just see you rolling your eyes right now...  :rolleyes:  :D ) I genuinely mean you should feel comfortable leaving a message on your doc's service if you have concerns...

I gotta say... from your earlier post...

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 20, 2017, 01:40:56 PM
... So it's alarming but not a problem because it's just old dark blood. He said there was a still a lot in there so it would do this until it was out. ... Most importantly, hearing that it was OK calmed me down. ...

... I got the feeling that your doc was somewhat alarmed but not troubled by it, just told you to monitor things but that it would need to drain until all gone. Did your doc give you any parameters to watch for? Any limit on the number of days to expect to observe this, or perhaps what might be likely vs abnormal? I can't imagine your doc letting you be on your own like this if this wasn't a possibility, perhaps not typical but not unheard of either is the feeling I got from your post.

I get the feeling you'll call your doc if you feel something is out of bounds ... but make sure you do that if your concern is beyond anxiety driven. My guess is you can tell the difference for yourself but don't play tough either. You don't have to prove anything.

By the way, while I much prefer photos which reveal your lovely face... your most recently posted "medical" bottom recovery photo looks much much better... really, I'd not have guessed that person had surgery had I not known the context.

Anyway, you probably didn't want lecturing which hopefully I'm not doing above... but I guess it's all a way of saying... I'm sending you warm positive wishes Devlyn... big hug to you. You will be fine.
  •  

Devlyn

Thanks, Ashley! He told me to monitor it for a week, watch for redness, swelling, bright red blood, fever. He wants me to get in touch after the week, good or bad. That's Wednesday. Today it looks good, still open a bit at the top. It's going to be a wide scar, but I'm betting the pucker factor will hide that. I'll see what my pcp says today.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Doc says the healing of the incision doesn't concern her, but she wants me to have the surgeon take another look at the firmness of the swelling that remains.

Chris, good luck tomorrow! Looking for updates whenever you're able.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Ashley3

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 25, 2017, 07:18:52 PM
Doc says the healing of the incision doesn't concern her, but she wants me to have the surgeon take another look at the firmness of the swelling that remains. ...

That's good on the incision and it sounds like everything else is actually coming along... sounds like she's being overly cautious about the swelling which is a very good sign about your doc... good doc. I feel it's always best to be overboard with care issues... Enjoy annoying your doctors, I do! ;D Seriously, the good ones "get it" when it comes to being overly cautious and will hear out a patient, relieve a patient's concerns.

BTW, thank you so much for sharing your very personal journey here... very helpful info. Big hug... You're going to be fine! ... enjoy the rest of your recovery!
  •  

Devlyn

I'm going back to the surgeon Thursday at 2:00 PM. My primary care spoke to him and he agreed that I should come in. This is in regards to hard swelling on the left and right sides along what appears to be the canals, as compared to the soft swelling (now greatly reduced) of the scrotum caused by blood.

Anyone have any lembas? This path is longer than I thought.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Ashley3

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 26, 2017, 07:13:03 PM
I'm going back to the surgeon Thursday at 2:00 PM. My primary care spoke to him and he agreed that I should come in. ...

Hey Devlyn, I don't know much about this type of surgery... is the hard swelling you're talking about a potential thing which just takes longer to diminish if you happen to experience it? I mean have you heard of this before in any experiences or literature the doc gave you before surgery? It seems like they're being cautious but not rushed which makes me think this is a known possibility that just needs extra time... but I haven't heard you mention anything on that.

A little secret I employ... if I'm anxious to get something checked out, like get something biopsied or something... which has happened before... I'll call in the morning, not demanding but sort of matter-a-factly ask "Hey, was curious if you had any time open up today... would be great to stop in if so." Sometimes a spot opens up... it's great for me to get past some thing instead of waiting a few days or a week or whatever it is. The fact that they're not rushed seems good... I'm more thinking that you really want to get past any anxiety with great news... waiting one day before Thr just seems like a pain... wish the surgeon could just find a spot of time and see you tomorrow.

Again, verbose me... but a way of sending you my best... A big hug... sending you positive thoughts, Ashley
  •  

Devlyn

The surgeon felt that the swelling would continue to resolve itself, he wanted an update in a week unless it seemed to be getting worse. The overall swelling has continued to go down, but that has revealed a hard knot inside the scrotum at either side of the base of the penis.

I figured the best way to give the surgeon the update was explain my healing to the primary care during our hormone visit, and ask her what I should tell him. She called the surgeon directly and asked him to see me again. I hope it will go away. I don't want more procedures and medical stuff.  :(

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

Ashley3

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 27, 2017, 06:14:06 AM
The surgeon felt that the swelling would continue to resolve itself, he wanted an update in a week unless it seemed to be getting worse. The overall swelling has continued to go down, but that has revealed a hard knot inside the scrotum at either side of the base of the penis. ...

symmetrical knots on either side... my layperson's guess is that this is normal and will diminish. I don't say that with any profound knowledge... just that bad things don't seem to happen in a symmetrical way... it sounds like part of the healing process. I'm also wondering if your GP has general concerns but is perhaps not familiar with all of the healing potentials ... so her caution is good but perhaps should be tempered. What I say probably doesn't matter... I don't know anything here and I know for myself if I'm anxious about something until seeing a doc, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 27, 2017, 06:14:06 AM
...  I hope it will go away. I don't want more procedures and medical stuff.  :(

I completely forgot... setting you up on the IV is like a moon launch. :D  ... really though considering your level of anxiety there I can especially feel for you. Regardless, another procedure isn't fun but I forgot that any procedure is especially big for you. :( ... you will be fine though. It will work out. You just need to see the surgeon... that is the one and maybe only person who knows the expectations and anomalies and so forth.

I'm  thinking about you sending positive thoughts... I know so many others here are as well. What can I say, people like you! ... I think it must be the wit... takes courage and has to be good... I can't tell you how time over the years I've backspaced to delete what i felt was a witty humorous response... I inevitably stick my foot in my mouth for there is always some interpretation I was unaware of... so when I see your wit, or sometimes very courageous replies (not necessarily to be funny but make an important point), it's obvious someone's got courage... meaning you. Okay here I go on and on...  :icon_blahblah: ...have a good sleep, you'll be fine. A big hugaboo, Ashley

•  

Chris8080

Reading Devlyn's posts has had me thinking I might be in for quite a ride. Not enough to even consider not going through with it but certainly thinking of what might be.

My surgery was supposed to be Tuesday but due to somebody before me that was scheduled for a 2 hour procedure they canceled my surgery after the poor guy was still under the knife 7 hours in. They re-scheduled me for 7 the next morning. So now almost 24 hours after I am absolutely delighted. Not a hint of bruising anywhere, a few small spots of blood up until yesterday afternoon and clean light day pads since including overnight. No pain though they did give me codeine I haven't even opened the bottle. Very minor swelling but only across the top, seems to be none in the scrotum. Some tenderness inside the scrotum and up the sides but I don't feel that at all walking or sitting etc. Only when exploring. So dummy if it hurts doing that don't do it. My surgeon said the results looked so good that he doesn't want to see me for three weeks for the follow up.

Quite the difference comparing my experience so far with Reading Devlyn's posts, I assume just the difference in people and doctors and probably a good dose of luck. It's only been one day for me but so far so good.

Will be interesting to hear what Devlyn has to say after her appointment with her surgeon today.
  •  

Chris8080

Oh and another difference from what others have posted. I asked the surgeon about showering because others have posted no shower for up to three days. He said no, go home and take a shower, take three or four showers a day because that will go a long way to preventing infection. He said no soaking such as bathtubs, swimming pools etc. He said no rubbing the stiches and towel pat dry.
  •