Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

SENSE8 - Netflix

Started by Patty_M, March 26, 2017, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty_M

There hasn't been a mention of this over the past couple of months.  Not being a regular here, it may have already been discussed at length.  If so, sorry about that.

Netflix has a show called Sense8 which has a very diverse cast of characters who are spread all over the globe.  One of the primary characters is a trans woman named Nomi Marks who is played by trans actress Jamie Clayton.

The story is that of eight people from all over the world who are psychically connected. Each can lend their particular skills to the others when needed.  Sun Bak, in Korea, has martial arts skills she uses to help others in the "cluster".  Diverse: one MTF transsexual in a lesbian relationship, another a gay Mexican movie action hero, an upper-class woman in Mumbai, and so on. 

To me, Nomi is the best portrayal of a trans woman in the history of TV. Honestly, I don't think that statement is too far over the top. But then there have been so few 3D trans characters...

Sense8 was directed by Lana and Lily Wachowski and written (in part) by J. Michael Straczynsky. Talented people all.

Nomi's transition is a plot point but only because her mother hates her transition so much she would rather have her brain dead than alive as Nomi.  It's not mentioned outside of that subplot context.  The writing does stretch credibility a bit.  Don't most TV dramas have that fault? 

There are two seasons on Netflix with the third starting early May.  I enjoy it and hope that you do too.
  •  

MistressStevie

I am ALSO anxiously awaiting the next season on Sense8 on Netflix. 
I love the presentation of a wide variety of points of view.

Nomi is a great character and her trek to self is inspiring.   

I am internally conflicted weather to Binge Watch the full season
nearly straight through when  it opens up or try to savor is slowly
over a couple week period. 
  •  

RobynD

It's out and it's awesome!

•  

SophieD

Quote from: RobynD on May 08, 2017, 12:03:45 AM
It's out and it's awesome!

It is!  It's self-indulgent, and I love it for that!
  •  

brandyvgs

I just finished watching season 2, I thought it was good. Nomi is one of my favorites and that cliff hanger tho. Good Going for the Good guys!

Been a big fan of their work since the Matrix.
Started HRT 01/06/2017  ;D
Became Self Aware: in 2011, started Therapy in July of 2012.
Twitch Affiliate / Transmission Gaming supporter.
  •  

Paige

Absolutely love this show.  I've just started the 2nd season.  Two episodes down.  I'm just watching one a night but I could see a binge coming soon. :)

From a transgender perspective  I couldn't agree more.  Jamie Clayton is just great in her part.   Lana and Lily Wachowski did an amazing job too but I thought Lily didn't work on this season.  Wasn't she taking time off to deal with all the turmoil from being outed by the press?

Paige :)
  •  

Raell

Someone mentioned the show a couple of days ago, so I gave it another try, although the dark, melodramatic opening scene had put me off before.

I LOVE the characters, diversity, scenery, music, etc, and the few annoying shortcomings are nothing compared to the good parts. No wonder that show has won seven awards already.

Unfortunately, I showed lack of self of control. I started watching it yesterday and saw the entire first season. I tried not to, but saw most of the second season today. Those Iceland mountain scenes are amazing.

I loved The Matrix, and the Wachowskis (my heroes) have another hit..except this time it's an all out attack on trans/gay phobia and bigotry, something Lana and Lilly know about from personal experience.
  •  

MistressStevie

Season Two is moving along great with Episodes 2&3 consumed today.   I will try to do a couple episodes a week to savor the season longer. 

•  

jentay1367

Wow! Actual news I can use. Thank you for the heads up!
  •  

sarah1972

Unfortunately seems like Netflix decided to drop Sense8. :-(

•  

ainsley

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 02, 2017, 06:22:02 AM

Yep, that news broke my heart yesterday.  Absolutely loved that show.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Paige

Crap, that was one of the best things on Netflix.  You would think they would give them one more year to finish things off. 
Paige :)

•  

Cimara

We just started Hemlock Grove.  It is really good. Stranger things was excellent also.
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

brandyvgs

Well hopefully like firefly or something they can give the fans at least a finishing movie to close things up.
Started HRT 01/06/2017  ;D
Became Self Aware: in 2011, started Therapy in July of 2012.
Twitch Affiliate / Transmission Gaming supporter.
  •  

Paige

•  

Raell

Awesome! I just tweeted the link.
  •  

ainsley

Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •