Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What types of Makeup should a beginner first learn?

Started by MrTravisL, June 13, 2017, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTravisL

I am looking to start the learning process of wearing and applying makeup, unfortunately I am not sure where to begin...

I know the basics, which include lipstick/lipgloss, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, and foundation, but I know there is so much more and not sure if I should worry about anything else right now or just stick with the basics...

I am also wondering where would be the best place to get some alright quality makeup that is not extremely expensive as I am sure I will be wasting quite a bit why I learn. I currently still live with my parents, who know I am transgender but are still at the point where they don't see me as being it, or just don't want to... So wearing it around the house is not possible and would most likely be a "wear in private" kind of deal...

Also, has anyone had any experience with a Sephora Makeover, the one where if you spend $50 or more you get a free Custom Makeover? I have been real curious about that since I heard about it and just wonder what exactly it is like.

If anyone has any advice or tips, I would greatly appreciate it as this is completely new to me...
  •  

rmaddy

Lesson number one:  healthy skin.

Lesson number two:  balance.  Specifically, one errs most frequently by trying to do something with every feature simultaneously.  The result is garish eyes, cheeks, lips which only convinces the viewer that the person uses a ton of makeup, inelegantly.  Pick a feature--your best feature if you are able to discern what it is.  Play that up.  The rest stays low key in the background.
  •  

rmaddy

Incidentally, you shouldn't ever have to pay outright for a makeover.  Go to a professional counter.  I preferred MAC at the time, although I realize now that they cater to a more garish, arty look that doesn't suit me.  If you're trying on one or two things, you are no different from the next person in the chair.  If you get a full face done, you might want to purchase the more workable elements of that face.  Either way, you learn. 

By the way, buy brushes before you buy makeup.
  •  

MrTravisL

My best feature would definitely be my bright blue eyes. So stick with just learning mascara/eyeliner/eyeshadow for now? I have also got quite long and thick lashes.
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: MrTravisL on June 13, 2017, 11:03:58 AM

Also, has anyone had any experience with a Sephora Makeover, the one where if you spend $50 or more you get a free Custom Makeover? I have been real curious about that since I heard about it and just wonder what exactly it is like.

Been there done that.  My avatar photo is from right after. 

The $50 purchase can be a gift card.  They didn't make me pay up front and I'm sure that's because they will want you to buy all the products they use on you.  Be careful, their products are great but they are not cheap and it can add up fast. Remember  they are trying to sell you stuff also, pretty sure they work on commission.  If I had bought every thing they used it would have run me about $600.

They will show you and with a full make over there is a lot stuff they do you probably won't remember everything. They also offer some 15 minute mini makeovers for eye and lip etc.

They were very helpful but unless you have a lot of money to spend, try to stick to the gift card or  like some one mentioned get a good set of brushes with the $50. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  •  

silliemunkie

I did the full session at Sephora, which went well over the 90 minute mark. Everyone was very helpful, and I got quite a few people to stop, and watch. I was a bit nervous at first, but it was a great experience in the end. Sadly I was so excited, I purchased way more than I planned. Final total was just over $400, and I could have easily spent more. I did end up with some great makeup, but I probably could have done with much less. One negative (besides the cost), there was way more than I can remember, and I have trouble with some of the steps. They were great in giving me drawings, but it's still a lot. My suggestion would be the shorter session, or take advantage of the 15 minute quick demos where they show you one thing, like eye shadow. Visit during off-hours, and you will get much more attention, since they are just waiting for their shift to be over.
  •  

LizK

Did a full session with MAC nearly 2 hours in the chair..in total male mode walked out with the best make up job I have ever had along with a large amount of cosmetics...they are high quality, look different on and go on to your skin differently,                                                                                                          than many of the cheaper brands. I haven't been able to wear that much makeup recently while I get this facial hair thing sorted but we are not long now till the majority of that is out of the way...I hate the hairy makeup look and feel, so just avoid it...that mean I don't get to wear that much.

I have started with trying to get the basics right.

Skin prep, Foundation, lippy, eyeliner and mascara...I use mainly these during the day for a more natural look. When I feel I have got this working for me which I am fairly confident I have become competent with then I will add another couple of elements. Eye colour/shadow is going to be the next think I work on as I have some lovely palettes I have been given to work with. Will most likely add some cheek blush as well. Today of course being the day after Electrolysis I won't be wearing any foundation and then tomorrow when I could I have another session so then its Sunday before I can wear any  but I am already 3 days into 5 days growth for Tuesdays session... so we start again...the last of these in the last week in July so not long to go.

Start with a couple of the basics and then practice until you are happy then add another product and so on and so on.

Hope that helps

PS Baby wipes are great and cheap for cleaning up your messes (including brushes as you go) not only on your face but in the area you are working.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

MrTravisL

Thank you gals for all the help! I think I am going to start off with my eyes for now, since I have always loved them. Now I must get some Makeup and brushes... Has anyone had any experience with Walmart makeup? I would prefer to get some from there as it is easy for me to get it there, 7:30 is dead in there and that is when the self-checkouts open, so I don't have to deal with anyone as I am full male, apart from the few people passing by, which I can handle. I think I am just going to start off with a simple nude eyeshadow pallet, liquid and pencil eyeliner, and some black and brown mascara to see what looks good on me. I actually already have an eyelash curler that I bought either on Amazon or Walmart that I love! So that's one less thing I need.

As for the Sephora/Mac makeover, thank you for all the stories and experiences with them! I would love to go get one done but feel that's still a ways away as I would be way to nervous walking in there right now!
  •  

LizK

Forgot to mention...check out some of the utube channels that deal with cheep makeup...I watched one the other day about foundation brought from Target for $4 and the girl using it was raving about how good it was compared to some of the really expensive brands...I was amazed at just how good some of this cheaper stuff was.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: MrTravisL on June 13, 2017, 05:55:08 PM
Thank you gals for all the help! I think I am going to start off with my eyes for now, since I have always loved them. Now I must get some Makeup and brushes... Has anyone had any experience with Walmart makeup? I would prefer to get some from there as it is easy for me to get it there, 7:30 is dead in there and that is when the self-checkouts open, so I don't have to deal with anyone as I am full male, apart from the few people passing by, which I can handle. I think I am just going to start off with a simple nude eyeshadow pallet, liquid and pencil eyeliner, and some black and brown mascara to see what looks good on me. I actually already have an eyelash curler that I bought either on Amazon or Walmart that I love! So that's one less thing I need.

As for the Sephora/Mac makeover, thank you for all the stories and experiences with them! I would love to go get one done but feel that's still a ways away as I would be way to nervous walking in there right now!

I used to think the same thing back in my 20's. I remember going to Palm Springs and needed to stop off for some makeup. I was scared. Then I realized, the clerk will never see me again. She knows nothing about me except I bought some mascara. I really don't give it much thought any more.  If you have light hair, go with the brown. I use it and my hair is gray. Also go easy on the brows. I know it is popular to over do them right now. Dang Kardashians. Same with the eyeliner. If you have brown hair and blue eyes it really makes them pop to use the brown. I have also found lining under the top lash line and into the lashes is preferable to putting a thick line above the lashes. But I admit I have old droopy eyes. As to the lower lid I suggest only lining between the edge of the pupil to the outside of the eye. My Walmart has separated the cosmetics from the rest of the store and you now have to checkout with the dept cashier.  One place that I have found easy to visit is Ulta. I was surprised last time I went in, there were actually more men than women shopping. Remember "eyes are the portal to the soul."  Go for subtle for 95% of the time.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Julia1996

I would love to try a makeover like Mac does but I'm afraid I would look stupid.I doubt the girls there have ever done a makeover on an albino. I absolutely love ulta . I can get lost in there. They have everything but they are kind of expensive. I've had good luck with buying makeup at Walmart. They have a good selection and they are reasonable. For special makeup try Kryolan. This guy I work with does drag sometimes and he has a dark heavy beard. He uses a foundation stick from Kryolan and it totally covers it . You can't see his stubble at all.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

MrTravisL

I have got dark blonde hair and bright blue eyes, so I will keep that in mind! That is how I feel about my Walmart. I have recently moved back to Michigan, and have changed my look quite a bit so no one I know from years ago recognizes me, and being Walmart I don't care who sees me in there, and then the self checkouts help a ton! I have bought shirts, pantyhose, panties, stockings, nail polish, tights, leggings, and even some flats from there just because it is so easy for me to go in there and grab whatever and not care what people think of me why I am browsing around, especially in the panties aisle, lol! But thank you so much for the makeup tips! I have always heard brown would be better for me.
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: Julia1996 on June 13, 2017, 07:20:11 PM
I would love to try a makeover like Mac does but I'm afraid I would look stupid.I doubt the girls there have ever done a makeover on an albino. I absolutely love ulta . I can get lost in there. They have everything but they are kind of expensive. I've had good luck with buying makeup at Walmart. They have a good selection and they are reasonable. For special makeup try Kryolan. This guy I work with does drag sometimes and he has a dark heavy beard. He uses a foundation stick from Kryolan and it totally covers it . You can't see his stubble at all.

You do know that orange lipstick under the makeup reduces the visibility of a beard. And it does not have to be one of the expensive brands. Wet and Wild for a couple bucks will do the job.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Julia1996

No I didn't know that. That's interesting. It wouldn't work on me though because the hair is white. But I hardly have any facial hair anyway.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

The lipstick trick works with black beards. Black hair has a fair amount of blue associated with it and the orange counters the blue. For other colors, showing through isn't as much of a problem and with my brown hair, a close shave and a base coat was sufficient.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Dena on June 13, 2017, 07:54:27 PM
The lipstick trick works with black beards. Black hair has a fair amount of blue associated with it and the orange counters the blue. For other colors, showing through isn't as much of a problem and with my brown hair, a close shave and a base coat was sufficient.

I have a palette for this and the colours are

Mint Green: neutralises redness cover blemishes red blotches, broken blood vessels

Lavender: Brighten dull skin good for cover bruises (from facial injection s or cookies), dark under eye circles

Apricot: evens out skin tone and counteracts discolouration, dark spots, great for cover age spots and dark beard

When I am doing the whole full foundation thing I will use these and they work a treat
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: ElizabethK on June 13, 2017, 11:57:18 PM

Mint Green: neutralises redness cover blemishes red blotches, broken blood vessels

Lavender: Brighten dull skin good for cover bruises (from facial injection s or cookies), dark under eye circles

Elf brand sells tinted primers in these colors.  Elf is probably the best value priced  line I've run across.  I know Target carries it and I've seen it at other places. 

There are also websites that will help you color match across different brands.  I love my $30 foundation from Sephora but can't pay that every time.  Found a decent match for about $10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

LizK

This was a freebee from DB Cosmetics called Colourfix concealer...I have plenty if sun damage and it works a treat...I know the orange/apricot works well to hide beard shadow
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

silliemunkie

I have found orange concealer to work much better than lipstick to cover my dark facial hair. NYX Cosmetics has an orange, and it's cheap.
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on June 13, 2017, 11:57:18 PM
I have a palette for this and the colours are

Apricot: evens out skin tone and counteracts discolouration, dark spots, great for cover age spots and dark beard

When I am doing the whole full foundation thing I will use these and they work a treat

Thanks Liz,

I was wondering why they had those different weird (to me) colors for concealers.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis