Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Cosplay Fun also my passability?

Started by TranSketch, April 29, 2017, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TranSketch

Thought I'd ask if anyone here has cosplayed at conventions or has plans to if so curious whom you cosplayed as, my two experiences of it are crossplaying as Sugintou from Rozen Maiden and a male version of Applejack from MLP.
Also as it stands I have include a more fuller picture of myself currently which hopefully folks could give there opinion on how well I'd pass, bear in mind I do plan to lose weight and get FFS so that would probably help down the line as I know I don't look all to well in the photo XD also included is a fabulous cosplayer who I aspire to hopefully manage to replicate or at least almost look as good as her in Widowmaker cosplay that I plan to do when I've had most of my major treatment done so I'm curious how likely others think I'll ever achieve such results or that I'm not likely to because obviously she has the advantage of being born naturally female,I look forward to hearing what others have cosplayed as anyway.
[/URL][/img]

This one when when I was much younger

Life is fleeting, so may as well kick back and pull up a chair.
  •  

TranSketch

This is my goal to hopefully reach at least in terms of cosplaying as a female.
  •  

Dena

Passibility is a bit difficult but most of us can obtain that goal. You really shouldn't make your goal to become a Cosplay character as I suspect many CIS women would have difficulty obtaining that goal. Where I to attempt to duplicate that character, I would find it very difficult. I have the tall slim body but I would have to pad out below the waist in order to obtain those proportions. My breast would be somewhat lacking and I am not sure that FFS would properly slim my face to obtain that look. It was never my goal to be somebody else as my only goal was to be comfortable in my own body. I have reach that goal and I really can't ask for more.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

TranSketch

Quote from: Dena on April 29, 2017, 08:57:37 PM
Passibility is a bit difficult but most of us can obtain that goal. You really shouldn't make your goal to become a Cosplay character as I suspect many CIS women would have difficulty obtaining that goal. Where I to attempt to duplicate that character, I would find it very difficult. I have the tall slim body but I would have to pad out below the waist in order to obtain those proportions. My breast would be somewhat lacking and I am not sure that FFS would properly slim my face to obtain that look. It was never my goal to be somebody else as my only goal was to be comfortable in my own body. I have reach that goal and I really can't ask for more.

I'd just like to think I could do something like that, wrestled for years with my appearance and general life day to day stuff, cosplay and conventions have always been a side interest of mine but the one time I attempted crossplay I just wasn't very good as though at the time I was slimmer I still didn't really have feminine appearance down in contrast to the other picture when I was still in my teens. Whilst I want to be comfortable in my own body I'd also like the opportunity to finally engage in my interests without it being a crossplay. I guess ultimately I want to utilise the transition in two aspects, 1 to live my life how it should've been without having to put on a fake male aspect and 2 finally get to go to Conventions as the female characters I took a liking to, I wouldn't plan to exactly do myself up like the cosplay picture in day to day life but rather for special and fun occasions such as conventions and the like.
May have worded it somewhat a bit confusingly as I don't exactly intend to dress up everyday in cosplay, I'll leave that sort of thing to those who do it for a paid living XD more accurately I'd just love it if I could even half pull off such a thing.
I feel that maybe based on my second picture from my younger years I may have actually managed it back then to a degree obviously minus the chest, with some effort I'd like to hopefully become more like I used to be courtesy of  my own personal efforts of weight loss, voice training and the addition of actual medical treatment whether it be surgical procedures or via the hormones etc.
  •  

GameDame

Well, I've lived with a cosplayer couple (a trans man and his genderfluid/mostly-fem 'girl'friend), and you can achieve truly startling effects with the right makeup and gear.  In your case, a corset might help you get the hourglass figure (just don't wear it too long unless you train for it XD), and you can get hip/thigh padding.  As for the cleavage, you might have to resort to a prosthetic chestpiece (I know they make them but have no idea how to obtain one).  Fortunately, Widowmaker's gray skin tone means you're going to have to cake on the makeup anyway, so achieving the smooth skin should be relatively easy; and there are tutorials on Youtube for feminizing/masculinizing your features by enhancing the right contours with makeup.

Beyond that, a high-quality wig and props would go a long way towards getting the look down :D
  •  

TranSketch

Quote from: GameDame on April 29, 2017, 09:50:24 PM
Well, I've lived with a cosplayer couple (a trans man and his genderfluid/mostly-fem 'girl'friend), and you can achieve truly startling effects with the right makeup and gear.  In your case, a corset might help you get the hourglass figure (just don't wear it too long unless you train for it XD), and you can get hip/thigh padding.  As for the cleavage, you might have to resort to a prosthetic chestpiece (I know they make them but have no idea how to obtain one).  Fortunately, Widowmaker's gray skin tone means you're going to have to cake on the makeup anyway, so achieving the smooth skin should be relatively easy; and there are tutorials on Youtube for feminizing/masculinizing your features by enhancing the right contours with makeup.

Beyond that, a high-quality wig and props would go a long way towards getting the look down :D

I have a friend in London who at times has mentioned about me getting a corset to get a figure, he's a former drag performer now trying to break into the world of fashion. The way I figure it if I start losing weight I can look into getting said corset to get said hour glass figure, as for chest well not sure how they'll develop till I start treatment and I'd be happy even if there somewhat noticeable, no hacks required XD
  •  

Ryuichi13

I'm glad I'm not the only cosplayer here!

I'm going to Connecticon and this will be the first time I'm cosplaying as Trafalgar Law from One Piece.

It'll also be the first time I'll be cosplaying without feeling like I'm crossplaying.

For some reason I'm nervous about it.  I have nearly everything I need to do his cosplay justice and I have to admit that since going on T in December, I was also hoping to grow a proper goatee before the con.  I currently have the facial hair of a 13 year old boy, and even though I know T will eventually (hopefully!) make it so I can grow a proper goatee like the character, this year I'm going to have to draw it on. *sigh*

I suppose I'm more venting than anything.  But I can't help but feel nervous about this con.  Being misgendered because of my baby face also doesn't help my nervousness.

I know I'm going to have fun, I suppose I'm stressing over nothing, but I can't help how I feel.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

I don't really think transitioning is that important for cosplay. I had a friend who did cosplay. His character was female. He couldn't have passed as a female in daily life but with the costume, makeup, prosthetics and padding he really did look like his female character.  But like Dena said you shouldn't make passing as a cosplay character your goal. Going around as a cosplay character for day to day life would get you the wrong kind of attention. Well, you probably could get away with it at the Walmart. I've seen stranger characters in that place for sure. But don't even worry about passing for cosplay. Isn't the idea to just have fun? The guy I knew who was into cosplay took it like WAYYY to seriously. He even said he wished he had my skin and eye color cause he would be able to do characters without needing a lot of makeup or lenses.  (I'm albino) Which was kind of insulting.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Ryuichi13

I'm not really worried about passing as a cosplay character.  I think I just don't want to be misgendered WHILE cosplaying.  It's happened before, but then again, I often get misgendered even in street clothes. 

I know that "transitioning is a process," as my therapist points out, but I can't help but feel a little sad each time I have to correct someone about my gender.[emoji21]   

Sometimes, I wish I could carry around a huge neon sign that says, "I'm male!"

And I would never want to be albino.  No offense meant, but I happen to be very proud of my "genetically" brown skin.  After all, there are people that pay big money to get a tan.  I just happen to have been born with one. [emoji6]

Oh, here is a test picture from the day I got my wig.  Trafalgar Law's skin is supposed to be tan, but you can't tell from the above pic how much darker he is than many of the others in One Piece.

There's also no way I'll ever be 6'3" like Law, nor as thin as he is.  But, I still would like to at least pass as male while cosplaying as him.  I do plan on eventually getting colored contacts so I can have Law's gray eyes. 

As a side note: Its kind of funny the way people look into my eyes whenever I wear light-colored contacts.  Its like they're thinking, "wtf?!?" [emoji23]

Ryuichi

•  

TranSketch

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on June 16, 2017, 09:17:47 AM
I'm not really worried about passing as a cosplay character.  I think I just don't want to be misgendered WHILE cosplaying.  It's happened before, but then again, I often get misgendered even in street clothes. 

I know that "transitioning is a process," as my therapist points out, but I can't help but feel a little sad each time I have to correct someone about my gender.[emoji21]   

Sometimes, I wish I could carry around a huge neon sign that says, "I'm male!"

And I would never want to be albino.  No offense meant, but I happen to be very proud of my "genetically" brown skin.  After all, there are people that pay big money to get a tan.  I just happen to have been born with one. [emoji6]

Oh, here is a test picture from the day I got my wig.  Trafalgar Law's skin is supposed to be tan, but you can't tell from the above pic how much darker he is than many of the others in One Piece.

There's also no way I'll ever be 6'3" like Law, nor as thin as he is.  But, I still would like to at least pass as male while cosplaying as him.  I do plan on eventually getting colored contacts so I can have Law's gray eyes. 

As a side note: Its kind of funny the way people look into my eyes whenever I wear light-colored contacts.  Its like they're thinking, "wtf?!?" [emoji23]

Ryuichi

My first attempt at cosplay was actually crossplay, pretty awful looking back on it but only me and one other girl I seen opted for Suigintou from Rozen Maiden, I'm a sucker for the gothic lolita stuff XD second attempt was at BUCK genderbent Applejack, that one went a little better admittedly.
  •  

Zumbagirl

I did Yeoman Janice Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) at a Star Trek convention. Does that count? It was a hoot. Loved it. I had the giant beehive hairdo and all (it was a wig). I think I just really wanted to wear a really short outfit and thigh high boots, but hey it was still fun.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Zumbagirl on June 16, 2017, 05:58:38 PM
I did Yeoman Janice Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) at a Star Trek convention. Does that count? It was a hoot. Loved it. I had the giant beehive hairdo and all (it was a wig). I think I just really wanted to wear a really short outfit and thigh high boots, but hey it was still fun.
Yah, that counts.  Cosplaying isn't just anime characters, its ANY character from ANY show/movie/manga/comic/etc.

Sounds really cool!  I've always thought that original Star Trek women's outfits were pretty sexy. [emoji4]

Ryuichi

•  

TranSketch

Quote from: Zumbagirl on June 16, 2017, 05:58:38 PM

As long as your dressed up like a fictional character it's cosplay whether it be games, anime or TV shows, just look at all the Dr Who fans who dress as there favourite Timelord or travelling companion for example, same counts for the many examples of Trekkies dressing up as fan favourites etc.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Welp, con was last weekend, and I cosplayed as Trafalgar.  It went surprisingly well!  I wasn't misgendered at all by any of the con-goers.  (By my boyfriend's family, well that's another matter, one that I corrected when ever they misgendered me.)

Here is a pic of me from the con, and a screenshot of Trafalgar Law from One Piece.

My confidence level at cosplaying as my proper gender has gone through the roof!

Ryuichi

•