Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Life's catch 22 again

Started by josie76, June 30, 2017, 06:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raell

I was married for a while to a guy who turned out to be bipolar.

His wild personality swings were baffling since he didn't remember anything from one personality shift to the other. In one, he loved me, begged us to stay together, in the next moment he didn't remember that and was accusing me of trying to kill the "entire world."

I loved him, but there was no way we could stay together, since he could suddenly change in the middle of a sentence. Of course he didn't think anything was wrong with him.
  •  

josie76

Well here it's been a while again since I wrote anything. Life has been tumultuous to say the least. On one hand my wife and my relationship is doing better. I hurt my back at work again, second time in less than a year now. For nearly a week I spend most of my time laying down. Sitting and standing are difficult and extremely painful. Turn out according to the local radiologist that my lower disc is still showing degeneration and the rear facet joints are in real bad shape. My days of doing physical work are likely done. I know even if the pain lets up(it's been hurting 24/7) that I will not risk this again. I've done some physical therapy but they are focusing on muscles and tendons and ignoring their own radiologist report about the joint damage. Eh just plain sucks right now.

So living at my wife's apartment has made us closer again. But, then today she started back on wondering if my sexual attraction would change, as she had been reading >-bleeped-< again. She said she doesn't want to put years in with me with a romantic mindset and then find I like something else. I can't even contemplate this all right now. For now I'm basically asexual. Add to that having severe testicular pains.... I went to a urologist who had my testicles sonogramed. No issues seen. She gave me an RX for an older antidepressant that also works to lessen neural pain. It has helped. Still have aching but don't feel the crippling ball pain. Still don't know if it's testicular atrophy or not. She actually said pain like that is not uncommon.

Ok so funny note. She entered two diagnostic codes. One for pain and another for penile atrophy. I wasn't expecting that one. Now I know why she asked how long I had been on HRT a second time.

Anyway, laying on the couch in pain.  :-\ gotta make more calls tomorrow and get to see an orthopedic surgeon to look at my two sets of X-rays. I feel it's bad enough that I may have to look into disability of some sort. I don't know. After I talk with a surgeon I'll. Have a better idea of my options but right now I also have to check on a possible hernia repair reopening. Radiologist report said that might be happening too.

Well if I wasn't on HRT I'm pretty sure. I'd be extremely depressed right now. Strangely I'm in pain but not to depressed. Laying on a couch while my kids watch Scooby Doo 2 movie.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Kendra

Oh, Josie... back pain, that sounds terrible.  And pain down there.  I am really glad you are not feeling depressed with all this - and you are spending time with your kids.  Hope you can get some consistency and more understanding with your wife. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

josie76

Dear diary, oh wait Susan's Place,

Well I'm still layed up from my back injury. After hiring a work comp lawyer I was able to get my care switched to an orthopedic clinic. I got an actual doctors appointment! Yea! Ok so back up a step here. Workers comp sucks. Ok now that that's been said. I was willing to pay $200 myself to just get a consultation with an orthopedic doctor. But the lady at the registration desk said I had better not. She said I needed to go back to my lawyer and have him help get my care switched. Otherwise, you guessed it, an insurance catch 22.
If you pay for a second opinion yourself, the workers comp insurance will think you are trying to go around their system and start looking for fraud. Then, if later you need your regular insurance coverage they will want to deny anything because either you were willing to self pay before or it should have been work comp and you ( into this case I) end up paying for everything.
Did I say workers comp sucks?

So long story short my lawyer came through. The new doctor, (OMG and actual doctor not a PA) gave me an actual diagnosis, had another 4 X-rays taken, and wants to have an MRI done. He already prescribed another 5 weeks of physical therapy and a back brace. Oh and actually prescribed anti-inflammatory medication. Of course I dropped that off with the work comp insurance almost 2days ago and the pharmacy still hasn't gotten approval.  :(

Now I wait. Wait for WC approval for meds, wait for WC approval for an MRI. Go to physical therapy 3 times a week for stretches and heating applications.

On the plus side I don't have to spend every minute of every day lying on the couch. I can sit and stand for a while with less pain. Riding in a car for more than 20 minutes still hurts like hell. I lifted a laundry basket today. Not going to try that again soon!  :o
But staying at my wife's apartment has been nice. We are getting along much better now. It has lasted longer than any time the peace has lasted for at least the previous 5 months.

Unexpectedly positive thing today. While sitting on the bumper of our pickup while the kids were taking laundry into the laundromat, a guy asked me about the electronics manufacturer decals on the side of our truck. I have been selling agriculture related electronics on my own for a few years now. Nothing big time but some added income. So turns out he has some of this brand equipment in a sprayer he and his dad have for their farm. I talked with him a while about it.
So the unexpectedly positive part. My hair is longer than in my avatar picture. I had on orange Nikes with hot pink swooshes on them. My earrings in, a silver chain necklace, of course the pendant was u dear my tee shirt. Oh, my hair, yes the last hair color was a few shades different. Ferris number R48. It's a deep purple hue red with slightly metallic undertones. My forearms are hairless and my nails are grown out enough with filed and polished tops. No paint type polish, just polished until smooth and shiny. Now I definately don't fit right in my old work jeans I had on anymore and despite my fatty belly my boobs are not really hiding from people's notice either.

So, is there a chance I might be able to continue in this agriculture electronics business? I had assumed not given ag and rural people being a bit more religious biased, but maybe?

Leaves me pondering my future for sure. One thing I'm pretty sure of now, is that I'm not going to ever be able to do heavy line repair work again. There's no fixing a bad back that allows returning to that work really.

PS
Oh yeh, forgot another fun aspect, hurt back and caught a nasty summer chest cold. Cough cough cough cough, not good on a hurt back. Sigh  ???

PPS
Got my HRT refilled. Asked and got doctor to switch my medroxyprogesterone over to micronized bioidenticle progesterone. Happy about that switch.

All in all I'm still in a strangely good mood. As long as the pain doesn't kick in so much as to make me cry. That has happened a few times but better these last few days.

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Laurie

Hey Josie,

Laurie here. I just read your thread from start to finish for the first time. I was going to apologize but I checked the dates and discovered this all started just after I started my road trip and well, I was a bit preoccupied with my own adventures of self discovery and I cannot feel sorry about that. Yes, I know it sounds a bit selfish but it is what it is,
  I do wish I had been following your, as you put it tumultuous, story. My gosh, saying you have had your ups and downs is an understatement. You my girl, have been up, down, twisted front and back, in forward and in reverse almost every time you talked to your wife with your daughters thrown in for leverage.  The toll upon you must have been horrendous and yet as Kendra says.. (I hate giving her credit (green with jealousy)) you have been handling it with astounding aplomb. Well, okay, the stress of it does show through a bit but you really have done well, much better than I think I would have. And you are right to attribute some of the calm in the face of fire, to the miracles of HRT. Even I can see where it has has some effect on me and my life is a whole lot less of an ordeal than yours.
  So well done Josie, well done. Keep it up. I will also be looking to keep an eye on your story.

((HUGE HUGS))
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Cheaney

I say go for it on the ag electronic business! There's all kinds of people in every big group. I grew up on a farm a couple of states away from you so pretty similar. 85% of the people you're gonna come across just care about how genuine you are with them and how you treat them. Plus most of the people who might give you problems are the ones who believe they don't need any "computers" to farm. If you know your stuff and treat people well then you'll do great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Kendra

Josie your determination is starting to pay off!  You still have challenges but so much great news here.  Very glad your home situation has stabilized.  And with your experience in that field, you could do quite well with that type of business. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

josie76

I cannot say just how awesome it feels to have your girls' support.  ;D
I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Sometimes that is what a girl needs.

Well one thing that has been happening more lately, women especially are being careful not to identify me. Like yesterday I took,y oldest daughter to a counseling session. We just met the counselor. She made sure when talking about getting the family involved she said things like "mom and you" to me. She avoided saying dad. Also noticed the physical therapists tend to not call my name when they come get me. They just make sure to look for me and say come on back. I see that as a good thing. Also my wife walked past while I was reading on this forum last night. She saw my avatar and said "you look cute. Wait is that you?". So cool there. On the negative without my shirt on she noticed I now have saggy arms. She said I looked just like a girl there now. Not a positive for her, but she likes my breasts, so we are still working it all out. Interestingly she has come to the conclusion she is likely gender fluid or non binary, depending on how you look at it. For a woman she is sort of masculine. She has an aggressive assertive personality, much more than I have ever been. She gets along with other women one on one but can't stand to be in a group for long. She used to like hanging out with guys in high school, but can't stand guys sexist ways either. I think this left her lonely for a lot of her life. She doesn't ever have a question that she is female, but she cannot fit into most female behavior patterns. SO likely why we got together in the first place. What's difficult is that she is strongly attracted to very masculine type guys sexually. She's also very smart though always was an underachiever so most macho guys are way too dumb for her to stand. I was a deviation from her old physical attraction norm to begin with. I was muscled but not at all buff. She said she thought I was a skinny guy. Seems funny now. On the other hand we understood each other much more mentally.

I'm not sure where I was even going with that thought line. Maybe just that we still have to see how much attraction she will have toward me the more my body morphs. I know we both want to be with each other emotionally and mentally. I just don't know if that will be enough for her physically.

•  

josie76

Well seems this is turning into a medical log more than anything these days, Ehh?

Back pain is returned with a furry.  :( Last Friday the physical therapist had me try a couple of balance exercises sitting on a ball. It all seemed OK but abacus an hour later the pain was coming on strong again. I think the balancing while lifting a leg made me work my lower spine too much and reagrivated my joint injury.

At least I have seen a REAL doctor now. I am getting an MRI later today and return to see the doctor on Friday. The MRI should let him see what damage is done for certain. I still don't have and nerve tingling so he said there's low chance of it being a herniated disc. Still likely facet joint damage or another word OsteoArthritus. Yuck! Hate that word. This darn chest cold is still haunting me this week. Coughing doesn't help with back pain.  :P

Well on the plus side my testicular pains seem much reduced. I have noticed a little sometimes but nothing disabling. The urologist gave me an older antidepressant that also works on neurological pain. It helps. I also got a o see the recent testicular sonogram and the one done back in 2013. Funny how I don't remember why they did the one back in 2013? I remember getting it done but don't remember the PA that ordered it, weird? Anyway both of my testicles are around 1 full cm shorter and narrower now than they were in 2013. So I guess testicular atrophy is likely the pain cause.

Something shocked me looking into the mirror the other day. I was about to get into the shower and standing there naked I saw the shape of a woman's body! WOW HAPPY DAYS! Ok so my shape doesn't always quite show through wearing big tee shirts and men's jeans but the outline is there. I can see it progressing.  :D

•  

josie76

I got to see the doctor today and review my MRI.  So back pain is caused by 2 herniated discs. One pressing on my nerves. Sucks. Also found out apparently I have congenital spinal lumbar stenosis. Basically just that my spinal canal is narrower than average in the lower part of my spine. Doc said its nothing except it makes less room for my nerves with the disc bulging out. That and my facet joints that keep the spine aligned are worn badly with bone spurs built up. Can you say Yea. :(

Anyway on a positive note. Perhaps this injury will speed my escape from male life expectations and provide a key to my freedom. A girl can hope.

Oh wait! When I was in line at the doctors office for checkin the girl working one side called me forward by saying MAM!  :D On the other side in a waiting room full of people they call me back by announcing my legal (male given) name. Ehh still getting closer to the real me.

•  

Kendra

Your spine condition sounds medically bad but it's good to have identified the exact cause of your back pain... at least that helps with potential solutions or workarounds. 

I have a weak back although not as serious as yours, and that is my only health issue.  I am four inches (10cm) shorter than I was in college. Peer-reviewed research from Germany in 2016 showing MTF HRT halted and then slightly reversed the effects of bone density loss and osteoporosis.  The control group without HRT and other populations did not show a significant halt or reversal under the same conditions.

Cool you were gendered correctly.  I imagine some clinics rely on legal names, but I was pleasantly surprised when the medical center for my GP and endocrinologist asked me if I had a preferred name for communications.  I didn't even ask - they offered to do this when I made a followup appointment after telling my GP I am transgender.  They send bills to my legal name, but for all appointments and waiting room etc. they only use my future name. 
  •  

josie76

That's a reassuring study. Cool. At least I might grow old and not break a hip! Lol
Actually it is good. One thing these back injuries have done is give me so much more information about my body. Even though I'm 5-11 my hip socket size is small for a male skeleton and on the large end of females ( yep I'm an Amazon ) Basically for a man it would be right if I was short and petite. For a woman my size it's about the norm. Weird huh. There might also be some correlation to my back injury. Well besides working myself half to death that is. My sacrum is angled nearly 80 degrees from verticle with me flat on the CT scan table. Makes the compression on the lowest discs maybe worse with all the heavy lifting I've done. An average male pelvis the sacrum sits at more like 60-65 degrees from verticle.

Anyway I'm feeling more and more pleased with my HRT results. Except for eating too much and adding belly fat, ehh. But my lower legs have thinned as have my forearms. My SO noticed to her unpleasant surprise that my upper arms are flabby just like a girls. While I don't want flabby arms it was still a positive for me.

The kids and I just drove back to the farm house this evening. The drive was excruciating at times for me. I just wanted to spend a few days at the house we built. I also have a doctor appointment in St. Louis next week. I'm still going to try to find out what the urologists' price for self pay orchi would be. In the mean time still fighting this cough. Went to urgent care and was given an antibiotic. They said an upper respiratory infection is running around this summer.

•  

josie76

Just an update on me.

Well seems like I just crossed the barrier to livng FULL TIME.
I didn't know when it was going to feel right. Over the last few weeks I just kinda quit hiding even down here in southern central IL. My kids started school at the Catholic grade school here where my wife got her school apartment. I wasn't here for their first open house night. My wife took both the kids teachers aside and explained I was transgender. They were both fine with it. So the other day I had to pick the kids up. This requires walking from a parking lot, across to the blacktop between the old school buildings and the church. It's where all the kids come out. I was in a playground full of other parents and grandparents picking up their kids. I met both teachers. Really nice. So there I am, 5-11 and in my orange tennies, Levi's 515 boot cut jeans, and a tee shirt that while not strech fit, was small enough my boobs we're in now way hidden. Longer hair in a red color. A couple of me looked once at me and then looked away. I noticed the mom's didn't even pause their conversations when I was standing near them.

Unfortunately my older daughter in 3rd grade was acting weird. Back at the car I asked her. Turns out she feels kinda embarrassed by me. She said no one ever said anything but she said it was just uncomfortable for her. This part sucks. Because I am full dress at all times now. Yeh I might wear a tee shirt but that's as close to man clothes as I go. Anyway I've had great reactions from all the medical people I've dealt with down here. Considering how many doctors appointment and even a couple ER visits now.

So my back pain is getting worse. After the second visit to the ER. I now have a Rx for something that is supposed to null nerve pain. Another steroid to help shrink the cartalige. Been off no real help. If I walk 50 feet I almost collapse. One dic is pressing onto my spinal cord. Pain runs down my leg and sometimes the leg gets weak. Work comp took a week to approve possible Le spine shots. The adjuster only approved it because I sent a slightly angry email. The orthopedic doctor said I need a surgery but work comp will try shots first. So now I have no further treatment untill 2 weeks from now when I get to see a pain doctor for an "evaluation" to see if he thinks I need a shot. If the shot provides relief then this whole process gets extended. The doctor said with this herniated disc, the chances are I might get relief from a few hours to a few months, but the herniation will not go away. Then my employer put me on FMLA leave. This gives 12 weeks to recover. After that I am unemployed. By the time I see the pain doctor it will already be 6 weeks.

Oh after the last ER trip I actually slept through the night untill 5am. That's the first time I have had a nights sleep since I got hurt. It was due to the doctor having pity on me and giving me what the nurse said was a large dose of morphine. I didnt stop the pain but I either took the edge off or just knocked me out. Not sure.

Have I said I hate work comp!?

•  

JoanneB

My heart goes out for you for having to deal with the pain on top of everything else. My wife has been dealing with chronic pain from her twisted up back for about 15 years now.

You might be one of those people like my wife where morphine does not really work all that well on. After a couple of surgeries now we try to tell the staff and docs that but to no avail. Demoral is what works great for her. But we get the same same line from the doctors & nurses that the manager of the local supermarket told us about this one (quite popular) tea they stopped having on the shelf. "They don't that anymore"
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Laurie

Hi Josie,

Hey! Congrats on going full time! I'm not sure if the impetus for it is  a good thing though. Back pain, drugs, the prospect of impending unemployment, That all does sound very good to me. I'm sorry you are having to deal with it all. (hugs) But hey, girl, you're full time! it is likely to be a little rough at first as you get used to it, sure. (I have a little personal knowledge of this you know?) But as you do get more used to it you begin to get more comfortable in your own skin with it. I think that is the best part of my going full time. I'm seeing and feeling a transition from trying to become a woman to being a woman. It's little things like beginning to feel like I belong in the women's departments in stores and chatting more with women. Oh it's more polite small talk but it's a completely different dynamic than I've ever experienced before. It's chatting with my doctor's nurse about our nails and polish. You now have these things to look forward to because you yourself are changing into one of them. This realization of it happening to me was almost mind blowing.
  Well, Josie I'm sure you will keep us up to date with what happens in your journey. I'm wishing you well with your difficulties and am sure you;ll come out better for them.

Hugs,
    Laurie

•  

josie76

I see it's been a while since I last updated this thread.

Back injury has been worse as time went on. It got to where sitting on the couch or a chair and leaning forward was the only way to get some relief. Went to see the rehab doctor. He read the MRI radiology report then went ahead and checked me over. He was describing all the checks he was doing to a med student who was there. When he push d on my big toes my right one went down. He said that is definately an L5 issue. After the exam part he said "congratulations you have the real thing". He said about 60% of people with back complaints come in there with pulled muscles or regular joint wear not a herniated disc. So he is submitting for approval for an ESI Spinal shot. I go back next week. I hope he has the approval by then.

Prhysical therapy put me in the pool the other day for the first time. Floating with a foam float around me allowed some things to decompress. It did make a difference some. I needed that.

So right now I cannot lie down to sleep. I find some half sitting position where I can support my head on some stacked pillows on the couch. I'll nod off and a hour or 2 later I will wake up because the pain in my leg. I've been going on 2-3 hours of sleep a day now for a few weeks.

My nerve pain is constant. It does let up a bit from now and again. Because it's pushing on those nerves. My leg hurts, my Lower leg feels like the muscles are cramping, my ankle feels like I twist it every time I put weight on it. The toes and top of my foot go numb. I have not stood up straight in all the 6 weeks now. I have to lean forward and left just to stand and walk.

Sometimes the constant pain gets so intense I start to wonder if it's even worth living through this all. An old friend on Facebook told me someone at his work had a similar situation and work comp insurance kept him on the get a shot then wait stage for a full year before they approved surgery to cut out the herniated cartalidge. I'm not sure I can make it that long.

My wife and I have been basically getting along for now so at least I have that.

•  

Megan.

Josie,  I'm sorry you're suffering so much at the moment,  but at least it sounds like the doctors might be able to help matters now they know where the issue is. Good to hear things between you and your partner are at least amicable.
Keep strong honey. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
  •  

josie76

Thanks Megan

If it had not been a work injury and I was paying with my private insurance, I would have had the surgery already and would not be suffering the nerve pain already. That is what is so frustrating. They know what's wrong. Workers comp insurance gets to dictate what level of medical care I get on their time table not mine or the doctors.

I forgot to add the good parts. I went to my second laser session down here this last week. It was a different kind of laser. This one was placed right on my skin and she could overlap every pulse. It was excruciatingly painful to lay on the table but I supported my back with my hands under me and pushed through it. I wanted that facial hair burnt off and I wasn't going to let the pain stop me. I just hope this laser proves as effective as the last treatment I got. It worked really well where it hit. With that one the doctor had to hold the laser away from my face by a distance. So it left cleared circles and uncleared areas between.

•  

josie76

I had a couple of good things happen in the last few days. First the kids and I went back to our farmhouse for the weekend. Got to visit with my mom a bit while the kids were running back and forth between our house and my grandparents had use next door. Well Monday my older brother and his partner came over to visit everyone. They took some time to visit at my house mainly because I'm still not wanting to walk too far from the couch. They were showing me the photos they had taken for their upcoming wedding on one of their phones. There was one that struck me. The two of them were looking into each other's eyes and I could just see the love and happiness. I let out an "oooooo" to which I heard my brother say "Oh Geez". Now in the old days I often made little sarcastic remarks to my older brother. Kind of just a sibling thing. So thinking he thought I was doing that I turned my eyes up toward him and said "I was being serious". He responded, "I know you were". I must have had more facial expression when I let out the Ooo because the picture was so cute. His "Oh geez" response was to me being a girl about their pictures! If that's not reaffirming I don't know what is.  ;D

Second thing happened today. I drove my mother-in-law to one of her doctors so she could talk about a medicine she was on. While she was talking about wether she could get a 90 day or only a 30 day supply she told them that she doesn't always have the ability to get to the doctor. They asked who drove her today and she replied my daughter-in-law. When she told me that in the car it gave me the biggest smile. She had said it without even thinking.

•  

Laurie

Hi Josie,

Both your stories were cool to have happen. Brother's aren't always bad and neither are the dreaded mother in laws. There are actually some good ones out there and it looks like you have a couple.

laurie