Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Should I, shouldn't I.

Started by JMJW, June 14, 2017, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

In the UK it's called bridging. You are permitted to have your private doctor prescribe HRT but most aren't willing to do it because they aren't trained in it (and I guess are unwilling to learn). Unfortunately, I know that the one chemical that can help is HRT but people have to suffer years in the medical system before they can receive treatment.

Simply in socialized medicine, the money is allocated to programs and in this case, insufficient money has been allocated to gender treatment. It's a small enough portion of the population that they don't make much noise so the political power don't feel an urgent need to correct it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Dan

Quote from: Dena on July 02, 2017, 04:40:48 PM
In the UK it's called bridging. You are permitted to have your private doctor prescribe HRT but most aren't willing to do it because they aren't trained in it (and I guess are unwilling to learn). Unfortunately, I know that the one chemical that can help is HRT but people have to suffer years in the medical system before they can receive treatment.

Simply in socialized medicine, the money is allocated to programs and in this case, insufficient money has been allocated to gender treatment. It's a small enough portion of the population that they don't make much noise so the political power don't feel an urgent need to correct it.

We have a similar system in Australia. Most general practitioners ( family doctors) aren't trained in HRT for gender transition either. But we have, and I'm sure the UK also has, private doctors who can prescribe the HRT, and then provide a treatment plan for the regular doctor to continue with. The private doctor then only needs to be seen at various intervals for monitoring of hormone levels or if the treatment isn't progressing as it should.  But then, maybe the private doctor doesn't talk to the regular NHS doctors in the UK? Never know, it's always some kind of stupid game they are playing. Plus, they probably using the long waiting time to ensure that as little as possible is spent on gender transition treatment, because, after all, we are a tiny minority that has 'inconvenient' health issues.

At least, it is affordable in the UK, unlike many other countries, where no matter how long you wait, there might never be a free or low cost treatment option :-/
  •  

JMJW

I would refuse treatment after 3 years anyway. After then my youth is gone as you'd have you add another 3 years for feminization to work. So what I need seemingly is the diagnosis of gender dysphoria from a private clinic/therapist that the NHS will recognise. Then I can get the monitoring without having to pay private doctors. At least I think that's how it works - I'll ask on the 12th. Beyond a certain age, HRT is probably just going to give me an A cup chest, slight fat redistribution on the hips, and a slightly rounder face. Big whoop. Worth the health risks and inconvenience of having to take drugs for life? I doubt it. No, after that wait I'd tell them where they can shove their gender therapy.  If I can survive that long, what do I need them for?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: JMJW on July 02, 2017, 05:56:00 PM
Beyond a certain age, HRT is probably just going to give me an A cup chest, slight fat redistribution on the hips, and a slightly rounder face. Big whoop. Worth the health risks and inconvenience of having to take drugs for life? I doubt it. No, after that wait I'd tell them where they can shove their gender therapy.  If I can survive that long, what do I need them for?

That is simply not true for most. There are many late age transitioners who get huge results from HRT. Personally I am well past an A cup and my fat redistribution is not minor...I have all sorts of great things happening because of HRT. Don't limit yourself...age is a number...the older you get the longer the effects take to happen but as always YMMV.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 02, 2017, 06:27:43 PM
That is simply not true for most. There are many late age transitioners who get huge results from HRT. Personally I am well past an A cup and my fat redistribution is not minor...I have all sorts of great things happening because of HRT. Don't limit yourself...age is a number...the older you get the longer the effects take to happen but as always YMMV.

I am 62, and have been on HRT for 5 months.  What it has done to my face is miraculous.  I look 15 years younger.  If it wasn't for my beard shadow and my voice, I would pass.  (I'm working on both.)  My boobs are not yet an A cup, but it's only been 5 months.  They are already bigger than those of one of my cis-female friends. 

I agree, don't limit yourself.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

coldHeart

After seeing my doctor they said they would take to get me on the list for the gender clinic, 3 months later & my so call doctor has yet to forward the letter I complete waist of time so enough was enough I,n now trying to go private, because I am unable to work full time the private clinic said they will reduce the fee's.
Perhaps Jmjw that's the way to go if you can't afford it, now for me it could be with in my budget. Sara
  •  

Anne Blake

I wouldn't automatically believe that there will only be limited impact from hrt. I started hormones just one year ago and have seen many changes. Body hair has reduced, my hips are a couple of inches bigger, body odor had changed completely and my boobs are verging on 36C (not to mention the best changes of all, finding emotions) and the changes are still coming. Oh and I forgot to mention that I didn't begin hormones until the age of 68.
  •