Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A day in the life of Jessica_k

Started by Jessica_K, January 02, 2024, 04:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davina61

Just goes to show what a shambles they are (all of them!!)
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jessica_K

So Kay is about to get her state pension and also applied for her NHS pension. The form is lengthy and requests info about me.

One of the items she has to send is birth certificate. Of course this is the only doc still in my old name.

To change it in the UK is odious requiring a diagnosis of GD written by a government listed doctor (which I have) and a second doctor that describes the gender reassignment that has taken place. This has to specify surgery or why surgery has not taken place (i can get). Plus 2 years evidence of living in the gender. After all that a panel decides if one is trans enough to be given a GRC that means you can request a new birth certificate.  Not surprising few people do it including me.

What I didn't realise though was how upsetting it was to see the BC with my deadname ad wrong gender. I burst into tears.

Kay knew however that the BC was not enough and requested my legal change of name. That cheered me up.

I am going to have to get my evidence together and the correctly worded second doctor report...

Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

Lori Dee

I never changed my birth certificate. The waiting list is now at 18 months. When someone needs to see it (very rarely), I show them that and the Legal Name Change order from the court. Wouldn't that suffice for the pension forms?

I get the long hassle of changing the BC, and that is why I never bothered. But do you need to?
I guess my point is that I had to describe in court why I was changing my name, provide letters, etc. and the court approved the petition. So it is done. No bureaucrat outranks the judge. They have to accept that I have changed my name and I don't need to explain to them why I did it. Talk to the judge. If they say they need proof of who I am, I present government-issued photo IDs that were given using the BC and Name Change Order.

I know things work differently "across the pond". That is why I am asking.

Hugs!
:icon_suspicious:
My Life is Based on a True Story

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jessica_K

Exactly that LoriDee, the deed poll (legal name change) and the BC is what's required in this case.

It's just because I never use my BC for ID that made it distressing. All my other ID driving licence, passport are all in my name and gender.

Jessica xxx

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

Lori Dee

I understand. I feel the same way if someone requires a birth certificate for some reason.
I can prove I was born because I am standing in front of you. Identification? Here are two government-issued photo IDs, plus my medical cards, and credit cards... how much do you need?

In my mind, once you have photo IDs a BC is irrelevant. It was verified when I got the IDs. *sigh*
:icon_suspicious:
My Life is Based on a True Story

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Jessica_K

Jessica_K

I have survived a week working from home, a week where I could not be myself or was I myself?

I am no different a person at home or anywhere else. I am me. It's just clothes. Clothes that I rock in as a woman, so they are for men. Jeans are pretty much the same ( female cut does fit me better) and tops polo or T both hang off my boobs so obviously I am a woman wearing mens clothes.

I do not need the reassurance of wearing women's clothes to know who and what I am. I know.

But next week I am working away again and I will be wearing women's clothes again, and makeup. I will be just the same as any cis-woman. It is my preferred clothing.

However, I am the same person as this week and will be the same person next.

Hugs
Jessica xxx

•  

Gina P

Quote from: LoriDee on June 07, 2024, 10:48:46 AMI understand. I feel the same way if someone requires a birth certificate for some reason.
I can prove I was born because I am standing in front of you. Identification? Here are two government-issued photo IDs, plus my medical cards, and credit cards... how much do you need?

In my mind, once you have photo IDs a BC is irrelevant. It was verified when I got the IDs. *sigh*

I paid for the birth cert. when I did my name, change. I was, disappointed to receive an amended one saying see page 2, which had my new name and gender. Really not a big deal. I never have had to show it for anything.
  •  

Jessica_K

This is the type of government we had and will probably still have in the UK. It was specific to the Cass review that has banned all therapies and criminalised medication for under 18's. Plus proposals to change the equalities act to remove pretty much all transgender rights.

From a tweet by Kimi Badenoch about at the time being the Secretary of State for equalities. 

"The third reason was having gender-critical men and women in the UK government, holding the positions that mattered most in Equalities and Health.

You only need to look at what the SNP did in Scotland to see what would have happened had we not intervened.

The Cass Review would never have been commissioned under a Labour govt. Labour did not want to know.

We had incredible opposition from the system on everything. It was when the ministers changed that everything changed."

Context: the Scottish government (SNP) voted for self ID, the British government  vetoed it.
Jessica

•  

davina61

Hope you are okay dear, its been 4 weeks since you last posted.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jessica_K

Thank you Davina, I am doing OK

I have logged in for today only. I am leaving Susan's.

For sometime now I have found that even with the update of more friendly T&C's that I am restricted in covering the political subjects of the UK that I hold dear.

I have been very active on >-bleeped-< especially r/transgenderUK that is so more relevant to me and the UK than here.

Thank you all for supporting my early days of transition and send good wishes to you all

This will be my finial post.

In the words of the famous saying
"Goodbye and thanks for all the fish"

Jessica xx

Ps my point is made with the removal of the famous media platform beginning with R....

•  

Gina P

Sorry to hear that, we will miss you.
  •