Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Davina's diary

Started by davina61, July 05, 2017, 04:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davina61

Well talk about a rats nest, I think he was lucky it didnt catch fire. Have to go back tomorrow to finish and tidy the wiring up, still I enjoyed doing it
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

LoriDee

I remember cases like that. When I worked as a Service Tech for a local alarm company there were times when you opened the box and it was just a jumble of wires. None of them were marked, not even color-coded. I like puzzles, so I just dive in and sort them out and mark them so if I have to come back I don't have to puzzle over it again. Good times.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•  

Maid Marion

My first car had an engine fire driving up a mountain!
I had it towed all the way home.
I replaced all the burnt up wiring and it ran for another year or two!

I learned from the chef who worked at the top that the trick to driving up and down mountains is to go as fast as you can!  Engines and brakes are air cooled, so the faster you go the cooler they operate!
I've gone up and down Mount Washington, 6288ft, really fast.   
Last time I descended there was nobody in front of me so I left it in drive!
  •  

davina61

Friends wiring sorted good enough, I said I didnt what any money for doing it as thats what friends are for. Didnt say no to the bottle of wine though!
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

davina61

Dark chocs and red wine make for a disturbed nights sleep, well that's what I put it down to. Woke myself up once biting the inside of my cheek, have a good lump there now. Food shop day again, not made my mind up what to get for meals this week ahead. Still trying to budget shop so will wait till I look what's on offer.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

Gina P

Davina,
  Thanks for the comments on the looks in my blog. So hard to see past the male memories.

I forgot I wanted to mention this trick that I do to help maintain my back. Every morning I lay on the floor, arms out to the side, knees folded and feet flat on the floor, Then slowly lean the knees to the side as far as comfortable and hold for a few seconds, then go to the other side and repeat. Trick is to go slow and get good stretch. I feel me back pop many times. I then follow with a few stomach crunches.15-20 for me (strong abs=strong back) Then I finish with some toe touches with my legs extended while sitting on the floor.(hamstring stretch's) all done very slowly. I have been doing this for years and have very little back problems. I suffer from Scoliosis since a child and these have been a life saver. I saw quarterback, Payton Manning doing the same back stretch's on the sideline during a game. Trick is to do it even when the back doesn't hurt.
  •  

davina61

Thanks Gina ,I put my arms on the counter and leaning forward push back with my shoulders, that seems to put my back back into shape.  Ended up with a leg of pork, doing pork and mushroom curry and about a 1/3 went in the freezer for another day .
 Mum didn't seem with it today, when I said you okay she said her mind was on getting stuff for the garden. I will be keeping a close eye on her, I do worry about her driving as aunty said she drives to the centre line. Mind you my aunty has never driven but is the best driver in the world!! She also said mum is always in a rush to get home, I think its a rush to get away from her! Well she does go on a bit.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

davina61

Well dear hearts I made my flask and lunch box to go to my workshop, not feeling it now .My boss said I can have a rest day ,yup I am the boss of me!!
 Laptop slow as since my security system is doing a check only 1% done so far so how long it will take I dont know.
 Debs rang and said she managed to get an oak sapling planted at her sons grave, well sapling that is 12ft tall. Anyway trying to find a rice and veg recipe to go with my pork and mushroom curry.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

Maid Marion

My wife wanted a willow tree so I have one in my yard!
A small one as I top it every year to keep it small.
Normally topped trees don't look so good but willows normally grow outwards instead of straight up.
Not worried about roots as the water ponding in the yard is well away from the house and plumbing.
  •  

davina61

If the willow is in a wet spot it will help drying it out, if you pol it then you get a sort of "bun" top to it where the new growth comes through. There a quite a few poled willows on the common land near by.
 Cant find a veg/rice recipe that is simple for one so going to make my own mix.
Virus scan still on 1% and that is after leaving it turned on for 4 hours----------
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

Maid Marion

Except for my willow, I don't recall seeing a successful examples of pollarding in USA.

I have seen a lot of disasters with ornamental cherry trees. Way too much cutting and not enough leaves for the plant to survive, much less thrive.
I was able to move my weeping cherry tree after ten years to a protected spot near a boxwood hedge.  It is doing great and has gotten bigger! I may let the hedge grow tall near the tree as the bloom is better if the cherry branches are protected and not so much bloom at the top.
  •  

davina61

My aunty said she is taking a tsp of apple cider vinegar with water in the morning as recommended by some doc on the telly, its supposed to help reduce cholesterol. Didnt taste as bad as I thought it would, in fact it was okay. Will it make any difference? who knows.
 Woke okay this morning, yesterday I just could not come around and was off all day. Happened before and its like my brain needs to reboot from dreaming, 20min nap made no change. Felt physically battered as well and that is odd as okay on Thurs when I just went food shop and did some cooking.   
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

davina61

It was a grand night of entertainment, Kitchen Island Band on form. It was nice to be greeted by all the folk I knew including the band! Played some air percussion as well. Have to rush out this morning as my engine stand is being returned at 10.30 and its 9.45 now and not yet dressed.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

davina61

Did a bit on the Austin, engine stand came back. Now having a head scratch on sorting some bits out ,will sleep on it and I know it will come to me if I dont think about it.
 Turned out nice this afternoon, you cant beat a bit of spring sunshine.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

LoriDee

Sunny and 63 today here in the Black Hills!  :)

•  

LoriDee

@davina61

A while back we were talking about freezing fruit. You suggested slicing apples, zap them in the microwave, and then freeze them. How long do I zap them for?

I have recently acquired about ten pounds of Granny Smith apples at no cost. They will rot before I can eat them all. So I need to get to work.

Hugs!

•  

davina61

Couple of minuets or so till they are blanched, let them cool and bag up. If you are doing them for pies you can add sugar. Its the same for most fruits TBH ,plums, berries and stuff like that.
 My knees have been bad the last few days, I wonder if the apple cider vinegar is stopping the fish oil?
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

Thank you!

I have found that cherry juice works best for joints. Once upon a time, the Army thought I had gout in my toes, but X-rays disproved that. They suggested a small glass of 100% cherry juice morning and evening. It must be pure juice, not cherry-flavored drinks. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

Hugs!

•  

davina61

Not really wasted a day but did the over sleep again, back playing up and knees as well so called a time out on the workshop today. Never mind, washed my hair and need to play chase the vacuum. Landlord has splashed the cash and the builders are doing the leaking roofs on the garage block (that's what woke me) , looks like a problem with rotten boards .
 Lemon "bow tie" shape pasta for lunch I think with a concoction tomato sauce.
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

davina61

Not venting or complaining just need to post some drivel, had to take a rest day due to back and knees and that peed me off. No apple cider vinegar yesterday and joints much better this morning. Bit grey this morning but brightening up so they say. Builders bodged some covering on the garage flat roofs, gutters still broken. Got the tummy trots from my pasta dish, didnt cook the shallot out enough and I put a whole Escalon shallot in so my fault. Not moaning just observing.
 Right off down the garage to do a bit more trim work and head scratching. 
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•