Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Laser Hair Removal - do it yourself?

Started by KageNiko, August 30, 2017, 03:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KageNiko

I need some advice.  Today I was looking on Groupon for laser hair removal treatment, but alas, there is none near me.  All that turned up were those portable do it yourself things.  Has anyone here used one of those, and if so, what was your experience with them?  I've heard mixed reviews, so if you could state as much info as you can about your experience that would be wonderful.  Thanks in advance!
~Love, Ashley
Hey all, I've created a new account because my life has begun anew.  This is to protect my identity.  Thanks for your understanding!
  •  

Rachel 82

I wonder about that as well. Laser is so expensive, I'd rather buy a device and do it myself (if it works).

I was looking at the Remington iLIGHT. It seems to get decent reviews on Amazon, although it says you're not supposed to use it on your face.  ::)
  •  

Ashley3

Every at home product I had ever tried was a complete PIA to use and ultimately a dud. I got laser hair removal for my body except facial hair, and went to electrolysis for facial hair. Those are the only two 100% effective perm hair removal methods I know of.

None of this is to say I know what's up with home systems... there may be good ones on the market I'm unaware of, even for perm removal... but I don't know. The one's I tried (like a couple of years ago) were duds. 
  •  

Nina

Quote from: Ashley3 on August 30, 2017, 07:46:37 PM
Every at home product I had ever tried was a complete PIA to use and ultimately a dud.

Totally agree!
I spent a pretty penny on gadgets, creams....you name it. Nothing worked.
For me, electrolysis was the only effective method...even laser didn't work because of my hair colour.
While electrolysis was expensive....best money spent since I transitioned 10 years ago.

Nina
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Roll

I was just about to ask this question. I have very pale skin and dark hair, so should be an ideal candidate. And unfortunately I just don't have the money for real laser and electrolysis (yay, being a student again!) any time soon (which I definitely want even if don't transition, at least for body hair, so may as well go ahead and do now). Would it at least be a head start to use one of these while building a warchest for other costs? (Or just using it to take care of areas of less import, leaving electro/real laser for face?)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

LizK

Second treatment today with a Remington I-light pro 6000 home IPL kit...I cranked it right up today and this is the second treatment to my underarms and one arm(other arm as comparison) and it stung all right, I also tried the face attachment today to go after a couple of black hairs on my chin which also stung a bit...I don't expect to see much of anything but I am keeping an open mind. I got this one $400 off because it was the last one they had and wanted rid of it. If it takes care of the black stragglers around my areolas and my chest then it will have paid for its self...so here is hoping
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Ashley3

Quote from: Roll on August 31, 2017, 03:13:59 AM
... Would it at least be a head start to use one of these while building a warchest for other costs? (Or just using it to take care of areas of less import, leaving electro/real laser for face?)

I myself cannot offer any better response than my earlier one above... I just don't have firsthand info of the present-day home hair removal devices.

I've always heard that if you want perm removal it's either laser or elec. My experience seemed to prove that. Home stuff failed and was a waste, laser and elec, though costly, won the day.

My experience is dated... I haven't looked into removal stuff for years so I can't factually speak badly about present-day home permanent removal systems, if they even truly exist. Probably best to see if there are any online reviews,  YouTube reviews, or maybe realself.com has something on home hair removal... not sure.
  •  

amandam

I've found lots of reviews on the Tria. There are also some threads here about it. A lot of people say it works. Enough to make me buy one. I am waiting for it now.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

Roll

~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

amandam

I will definitely keep you posted. I am going after those few hairs on my feet and the hair on my hands first. I hate those things!
  •  

LizK

Second week on my Remington and I can see a slight reduction in underarm  hairs. Zapped a few on my face yesterday and they hurt a bit ...I smell that familiar burring hair smell so it was doing something..I think...anyway I guess it will be 3-4 weeks before I can show you any real progress
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Lucy Ross

Here's a whole discussion forum on Do-It-Yourself Electrolysis.
  Lots of useful info.  One person cleared most of his body and estimated he saved something like $45k, which is inspirational.  But to do this properly without scarring yourself takes practice, proper equipment, patience - I'm told.  I really like the idea of doing the work myself, being a DIY type. 

I'm having the black hairs on my face done by a pro anyway, to get started.  Maybe I'll go to her for the greys too.  Or I'll have the confidence if I can get the hang of zapping body hairs first. 

I know a gal who cleared her chest with the Clean and Easy Deluxe when it was called the One Touch.  Sells for $50 or so including shipping.  Lots of negative reviews of course, largely from people who didn't add the necessary secondary equipment (magnification, good workbench, strong lighting), or just jabbed at a few follicles and bent the needle and started typing on Amazon in a huff.
1982-1985 Teenage Crossdresser!
2015-2017 Middle Aged Crossdresser!  Or...?
April 2017 Electrolysis Time  :icon_yikes:
July 12th, 2017 Started HRT  :icon_chick:
  •  

amandam

I had the One Touch. Very tedious but it worked.
  •