Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mtf experiences / advice in women's locker rooms?

Started by SadieBlake, August 05, 2017, 12:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadieBlake

So I am planning on a lot of swimming in the uni pool this summer. Today on my first post op visit I used the gender neutral changing room which more or less feels like being in exile (some stuff is broken, there's no suit spinner for drying out my kit).

The policy is simple and inclusive, all are allowed to use whatever facilities they choose campus wide. I don't pass and not wild about scaring the other ladies with my beard etc. And while it would be logistically easier to just use the men's today I went with the private room for this first time simply to avoid having to squeeze myself into my suit in front of others -- it's not an especially easy task tho I'm sure practice will simplify matters.

So what are people's advice for being as minimally intrusive as possible in the ladies' facility? I've talked to a couple of cis friends who confirmed my basic instincts:

don't look at other women's bodies, either make eye contact or look down.

most women will go to some lengths to avoid fully disrobing in front of others however a few will simply parade naked. That majority will be quite adept at using small gym towels as covering attire.

Now beyond that, the local trans group has posted a review of the facilities and so I know the women's is private showers and adjacent changing stalls so I never have to parade naked. Some subset of street clothes into the private area, maillot on and shower in that and then reverse the process post swim.

Question for the assembled masses: especially from other non passing femmes, how do you navigate this terrain? What's worked and what's not?

Just as I chose to bare my breasts in the men's pre-op, now I think I'm going to choose not to bare my vagina there post op (men's facility is all open). Tales from those who chose to tuck, passing or otherwise are welcome also.

Thanks ladies! I feel honored to have gotten here, now I want to access it without abusing it.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Megan.

I'm pre-op, full-time and swim regularly. My local pool has mixed gender changing cubicles, so changing is not an issue, but the showers are open-plan.
I had been using the ladies showers, while remaining in my costume, but last time, another lady did strip entirely, and I felt VERY awkward! I have no idea if she clocked me and didn't care, or she didn't realise. I've decided I'll shower at home after from now on, not ideal, but I'll certainly feel more comfortable.
  •  

warmbody28

that's a good question. if you feel like you don't pass and for some reason you think it might be a problem use the gender neutral changing rooms until you get a feel for the place and feel comfortable using the other changing room.
  •  

Dena

One of the gun clubs I have shot at has private showers but a communal dressing area. Because the shoot is a week long and the shower in the motor home was very water restricted, I would use the public shower. I tended to use it as soon as I was up to minimize the crowd and get away from the teen who slept in late. I would get the shower ready with towel, soap and running water then undress leaving my shirt for last. After the shower, I first thing would be the shirt without a bra as I could put that on in the motor home. Normally I would be facing away from the others, most of the time with a wall in front of me. I didn't look at the other women but sometimes they did look me over. I discovered this when somehow I got into some bugs that gave me at least 30 or 40 welts about an inch and a half in diameter all over my body. One woman commented about how I had been really eaten up.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Sadie,

My gym has separate men's and women's locker rooms. Up until I began transitioning I used the men's facilities, I then took a year and a half away from the gym. I have been using the women's area since returning.The woman's has restroom facilities attached to the shower and changing area. The showers and changing booths are curtained off and thus private. I am close to passing but I believe that many members and staff realize that I am transgender but no one has raised and eye and some engage me in conversation while I am finishing off washing my hands or fixing my hair. It just doesn't seem to be an issue. I believe that this is because while they may see me as perhaps a third gender, they have accepted me. I think that they would respectfully not allow me to use the men's if I tried. By the way, the staff that remember me say that they like the new me far better than the old me, not sure what that means.

Anne Blake
  •  

Devlyn

It means you've matured like fine wine.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Anne Blake

Got to love you for that one Devlyn, you are just too sweet (no matter what Laurie says).

Anne
  •  

Devlyn

She HAS met me in person, I'm sure she just considers it her duty to warn everybody about me!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

SadieBlake

Thanks friends, I think I'll go with the women's option soon. I'm in an academic environment and people run pretty supportive :-)
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •