Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How to look more androgynous?

Started by damnedheart, August 08, 2017, 11:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnedheart

So, as of right now I identify as non-binary (though hardly anyone respects that) and I'm just trying to figure out how to look the part. I might want to transition one day (ftm) but as of right now i just want to look as androgynous as possible. I have a very feminine body, no mistaking my assigned gender with this. No amount of binding helps. I was thinking about breast reduction but so many people tell me it just grows right back and i'm not ready to get top surgery (if i ever will be) Another problem is my voice. It's obviously female and i don't know what to do about it, it always gives my gender away when I am able to hide my body. I can't "try" T and I know this and im not ready to start that (again, if i ever will be) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can look the part? I want people to have to squint to make out that I was born a girl, you know?
  •  

widdershins

I also have a really curvy figure, and I'm going to be up front and say that T is ultimately the only thing that stopped me from being gendered as a woman 90% of the time. But to accomplish that other 10%? All the same tips you hear for binary trans guys:

• Short hair. No, it's really not optional for transmasculine people wanting to pass even now when longer hair on guys is acceptable. Yes, it's actually much more maintenance compared to just putting it back in a ponytail, but such is life. Careful with going too short though, or it'll just accent your feminine face shape.
  • Wear men's clothing in styles that hide your figure: layers, loose-fitting pants, etc.
  • Avoid bright colors.
  • Use BB cream or foundation on your lips to make them paler.
  • Some people have luck with contouring, but IMO it's pretty hard to pull off without looking like you obviously have makeup on (which defeats the purpose of looking less feminine.) YMMV.
  • Shave your peach fuzz. I know it sounds like a really minor thing no one would notice, but it really does help.
  • Speak from your chest. Relax your throat while you speak, like guys do.
  • Try to keep an even tone while speaking, rather than being really expressive and varying it a lot. Avoid up-talk.
  • Use traditionally masculine mannerisms. Watch how the men around you walk, sit, etc., and copy their body language.

There's really a lot more out there for trans men than us nb folks, so I suggest browsing stuff meant for them. For what it's worth, being non-binary is more accepted than it used to be. I even have people who call me "they" at work. So don't completely give up hope.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: damnedheart on August 08, 2017, 11:52:32 PM
So, as of right now I identify as non-binary (though hardly anyone respects that) and I'm just trying to figure out how to look the part. I might want to transition one day (ftm) but as of right now i just want to look as androgynous as possible. I have a very feminine body, no mistaking my assigned gender with this. No amount of binding helps. I was thinking about breast reduction but so many people tell me it just grows right back and i'm not ready to get top surgery (if i ever will be) Another problem is my voice. It's obviously female and i don't know what to do about it, it always gives my gender away when I am able to hide my body. I can't "try" T and I know this and im not ready to start that (again, if i ever will be) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can look the part? I want people to have to squint to make out that I was born a girl, you know?

Hi damnedheart

Welcome to Susan's

I hope you are able to achieve the look you want. It is really difficult when you are not respected as who you are. I hope you can find the assistance you are looking for to change your look.

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •