Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

New recipes

Started by ghostbees, May 27, 2017, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostbees

So I need some advice on how to cook with lactose intolerance. At the moment all the food I eat makes me bloated and gassy.

Why is it so hard to find food that doesn't have lactose in it? [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loki's playing tricks again ::)
  •  

Dena

What type of recipe are you looking for? There are many things that don't contain dairy and for the most part they don't use a white gravy sauce. Desserts do tend to use dairy because it's a combination of cream and milk sugar so it adds the sweeter taste that's normally eaten after the meal. There are pastries and pies that don't use dairy so you don't need to do without.

You shouldn't have a problem with small amounts of milk however if you go to a drug store, you can purchase the enzyme that your body is missing so you can enjoy dairy products. They had one that could be dissolved in a bottle of milk so you could drink milk directly but there is also one that you can take with your meal and it will aid in digestion.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

ghostbees

Quote from: Dena on May 27, 2017, 05:31:53 PM
What type of recipe are you looking for? There are many things that don't contain dairy and for the most part they don't use a white gravy sauce. Desserts do tend to use dairy because it's a combination of cream and milk sugar so it adds the sweeter taste that's normally eaten after the meal. There are pastries and pies that don't use dairy so you don't need to do without.

You shouldn't have a problem with small amounts of milk however if you go to a drug store, you can purchase the enzyme that your body is missing so you can enjoy dairy products. They had one that could be dissolved in a bottle of milk so you could drink milk directly but there is also one that you can take with your meal and it will aid in digestion.
Like any recipe that's not too hard. I'm not masterchef material *laughs*

I didn't know that about the pill. Usually I use peppermint oil but I suspect that wasn't what you're talking about.

•  

Dena

The pills can be purchased over the counter in the United States and just tell the druggist you are lactose intolerant.

Not really chili - Chili. The reason you call it this is because it's like chili but really chili doesn't have beans in it.

2 pounds or a kilo of ground beef
2 large yellow or white onions.
2 15 oz or 425g canned tomatoes
2 15 oz or 425g canned black or kidney beans
2 level teaspoons salt
2 level tablespoons mild chili powder. If you can take the heat, you may use the hot version. You can also adjust the amount according to your taste.

Brown the ground beef and place in a crock pot or large cooking pot
Peel, dice onions in big chunks then add to the pot
Add all remaining ingredients to the pot.
Cook on low in the crock pot all day or on the stove, cook until the onions and tomatoes break down. On the stove, watch the fluid level as it should be just below the ingredients when done.

Serve with salted cracker or bread and it will make 4 to 6 servings depending on serving size. I portion it out then freeze it for a quick meal latter on.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

ghostbees

Quote from: Dena on May 27, 2017, 07:35:22 PM
The pills can be purchased over the counter in the United States and just tell the druggist you are lactose intolerant.

Not really chili - Chili. The reason you call it this is because it's like chili but really chili doesn't have beans in it.

2 pounds or a kilo of ground beef
2 large yellow or white onions.
2 15 oz or 425g canned tomatoes
2 15 oz or 425g canned black or kidney beans
2 level teaspoons salt
2 level tablespoons mild chili powder. If you can take the heat, you may use the hot version. You can also adjust the amount according to your taste.

Brown the ground beef and place in a crock pot or large cooking pot
Peel, dice onions in big chunks then add to the pot
Add all remaining ingredients to the pot.
Cook on low in the crock pot all day or on the stove, cook until the onions and tomatoes break down. On the stove, watch the fluid level as it should be just below the ingredients when done.

Serve with salted cracker or bread and it will make 4 to 6 servings depending on serving size. I portion it out then freeze it for a quick meal latter on.
That sounds like a chilli con carne that I've made before. I'm gonna try this recipe and have rice instead.

I'm in the Uk so I don't know what the medicine would be called over here. I'll speak to my gp though!

•  

Cimara

Have you tried almond milk. I use it because it has a lot less calories than dairy milk. You can get unsweetened or vanilla. Almond milk is really good on cereal,  for smoothies and just about anything that calls for milk. Provamel is a good brand. One UK brand of the capsules mentioned is Quest lactase. 
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

ghostbees

Quote from: Cimara on May 28, 2017, 08:28:22 AM
Have you tried almond milk. I use it because it has a lot less calories than dairy milk. You can get unsweetened or vanilla. Almond milk is really good on cereal,  for smoothies and just about anything that calls for milk. Provamel is a good brand. One UK brand of the capsules mentioned is Quest lactase.
Ooh thanks!!
I use a lactose free milk but it tastes like ordinary milk. I've tried soya and that was ok but it didn't go well with cups of tea.

I will look up quest lactase tomorrow ovo at the moment peppermint oil helps.

•  

Cimara

Almond milk doesn't taste like regular milk. Personally I rather like the taste. But some people don't.  My boyfriend wont touch unsweetened almond milk. The vanilla and chocolate almond milk are quite good. I just use unsweetened because I don't want the extra calories of the flavored ones. If you like your tea sweet then the vanilla would be good in it.
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

ghostbees

Quote from: Cimara on May 28, 2017, 09:00:42 AM
Almond milk doesn't taste like regular milk. Personally I rather like the taste. But some people don't.  My boyfriend wont touch unsweetened almond milk. The vanilla and chocolate almond milk are quite good. I just use unsweetened because I don't want the extra calories of the flavored ones. If you like your tea sweet then the vanilla would be good in it.
Yeah I figured that I've had chocolate milk and it's all good but I can't see having it in my tea lol

Huh so almond milk is healthier than the other brands of lactose free milk?

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Dena on May 27, 2017, 07:35:22 PM

Hi Michelle,

Your recipe maybe be called "Not really chili - chili"  But in this family that basics recipe has been real chili for generations. Our ratio of beans to meat is likely higher too. I cant tell because we nave use a recipe nor measuring devices.
  For a super bowl party I made a big pot with 3 kinds of meat, a chuck roast, some sort of steak I think, and some s hot Italian sausage cut up into chunks, dark red kidney beans, tomatoes, onion and a bit of celery, white & black pepper , 3 kinds of chili powder and jalapenos... and that was the mild batch. I split have off after slow cooking several hours and re-spiced one pot with more chili powder and jalapenos and cooked both several more hours.
  I even named the two pots of chili;
  The mild I called "Commoner chili" and the hot I dubbed "None but the Brave" (It was hot even by my standards)

It was a hit at the party and garnered inquiries as to wether I entered chili cook off with my chili.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Dena

The reason you are lactose intolerant is because the human body produces an enzyme that breaks lactose down so the body can use it. Without the enzyme, the lactose passes into the intestines where the bacteria works on it producing the gas that makes you so uncomfortable. In warmer climates, dairy wasn't used as a food so over time, people who lived in that region lost the ability to produce the enzyme as they aged past the age were they consumed breast milk. People in cooler climates needed the enzyme to survive because they consumed dairy as a primary food source.

The pill I mentioned is that enzyme so taking it just replaces what your body no longer produces. The lactose free milk is simply normal milk with the enzyme added before you buy it. It cost very little to add the enzyme but I suspect they don't sell much lactose free milk so it's more costly to distribute it.
  •  

Cimara

Ghostbees, I don't know if almond milk is necessarily healthier but the unsweetened almond milk has less calories than other non dairy milk. One cup of unsweetened almond milk has 40 calories. I use it just because of that.
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •  

ghostbees

Quote from: Cimara on May 28, 2017, 10:21:47 AM
Ghostbees, I don't know if almond milk is necessarily healthier but the unsweetened almond milk has less calories than other non dairy milk. One cup of unsweetened almond milk has 40 calories. I use it just because of that.
Alright [emoji854]
lol it's ok I was just curious tbh

•  

gooseberry

You can find a lot of recipes here that use coconut milk, both savoury and sweet!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=coconut+milk
  •  

KarynMcD

I cook and bake things things dairy free all the time.
The easiest substitutions are
For milk: use any non-dairy milk. I usually use a potato based milk. Why potato? Too many people have nut and soy allergies for me to use something else. It comes in powder form and when baking just add it to the dry ingredients and add the amount of water you need to the wet ingredients. There is also Rice milk.
For butter, a direct, one-for-one substitute is solid coconut oil. Don't use margarine.
For solid chocolate: Make sure the chocolate is labeled Kosher Pareve. It is certified to be dairy free. Actually any food labeled Kosher Pareve will be dairy free.

I'm still hunting for a good non-dairy cheese, but Nutritional Yeast can be sprinkled on something to give it a "cheesy" taste.

Coconut creme can be whipped to be like whipped creme, but I've never gotten results.

•