Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What's the nastiest food you remember from your childhood?

Started by Julia1996, September 08, 2017, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 15, 2017, 12:27:27 PM
Mincemeat is nasty! It looks disgusting so I have never wanted to try it. Now spaghetti squash is good. I make it with alfredo sauce made from pureed cauliflower and vegetarian mushroom meatballs. Yum! Almost no calories either. My dad and brother think squash is totally disgusting, so no, they would never eat it. Those 2 are so suspicious of new food. They examine any new dish I make carefully. God forbid I disguise some healthy vegetables and they ate them.

Now now Julia, You just are letting the name mincemeat color your thinking. There was once a time when mincemeat did in fact have meat in it but not these days. Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices. You have to look far and wide for a jar or make it from scratch to find mincemeat with some sort of meat in it. I like the Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat brand as it tastes wonderful. Mincemeat is predominately made with apples and raisins these days. Mincemeat pie is my favorite kind of pie. Oddly enough I've never  really cared for apple pie. Mincemeat is a lot more spicy.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jin

Canned spinach always made me gag.
Now that I am embracing my girly side, I find that I don't really gag easily.

Okra is pretty much like slugs picked up off the sidewalk after a rain, and then boiled in snot.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 15, 2017, 12:27:27 PM
Mincemeat is nasty! It looks disgusting so I have never wanted to try it. Now spaghetti squash is good. I make it with alfredo sauce made from pureed cauliflower and vegetarian mushroom meatballs. Yum! Almost no calories either. My dad and brother think squash is totally disgusting, so no, they would never eat it. Those 2 are so suspicious of new food. They examine any new dish I make carefully. God forbid I disguise some healthy vegetables and they ate them.
Another good one is spiral cut zucchini sautéed in butter or olive oil and spiced to taste then covered with spaghetti sauce.  I personally like it either with some curry powder & turmeric or Cajun spices, depending on the night. 
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Laurie on September 15, 2017, 12:52:21 PM
Now now Julia, You just are letting the name mincemeat color your thinking. There was once a time when mincemeat did in fact have meat in it but not these days. Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices. You have to look far and wide for a jar or make it from scratch to find mincemeat with some sort of meat in it. I like the Crosse & Blackwell Rum & Brandy Mincemeat brand as it tastes wonderful. Mincemeat is predominately made with apples and raisins these days. Mincemeat pie is my favorite kind of pie. Oddly enough I've never  really cared for apple pie. Mincemeat is a lot more spicy.

Hugs,
   Laurie
My favorite pie is pecan.  That's my Georgia showing through LOL.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Jin on September 15, 2017, 02:09:09 PM
Okra is pretty much like slugs picked up off the sidewalk after a rain, and then boiled in snot.
If you add cheese to it the texture changes and its really pretty good.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Deborah on September 15, 2017, 02:32:27 PM
My favorite pie is pecan.  That's my Georgia showing through LOL.

Pecan pie is my dad's favorite too. I always make pecan pie at thanksgiving and Christmas. My brother and I like pumpkin pie so I make pumpkin too. And I have made pumpkin cheesecake Laurie. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 15, 2017, 02:36:48 PM
Pecan pie is my dad's favorite too. I always make pecan pie at thanksgiving and Christmas. My brother and I like pumpkin pie so I make pumpkin too. And I have made pumpkin cheesecake Laurie. Lol

Pumpkin and pecan pies are good too Since mincemeat pies are difficult to come by I usually order a slice hot cherry pie if it's available as a substitute.

Julia, you just added that last to be mean didn't you? lol (yes, you get an ewwwww for it)

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

K3lly

I've found most of the foods I disliked as a child, are now some of my favorites.  But to this day, cream corn is vomit in a can, absolutely disgusting.

There are very few other foods I won't eat due to flavor.  Unfortunately there are way too many foods I can no longer eat due to allergy.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

•  

MollyPants

School mashed potato made using mash potato powder, lumpy, grainy and with lumps of unmixed powder served cold using an ice cream scoop. I haven't been able to eat mashed potato since then. 🤢

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: K3lly on September 18, 2017, 03:37:22 AM
I've found most of the foods I disliked as a child, are now some of my favorites.  But to this day, cream corn is vomit in a can, absolutely disgusting.

There are very few other foods I won't eat due to flavor.  Unfortunately there are way too many foods I can no longer eat due to allergy.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I think cream corn is nasty too. Interestingly though, the lady next door gave me a recipir for spoon bread made using creamed corn and it's awesome. It's like cornbread bread pudding.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

MaryT

When I was a child, a number of foods (especially in school dinners) made me throw up, but the ones most guaranteed to were warm sago pudding and mayonnaise.  I wasn't allowed to say no, no matter how often they saw me vomitting, because of the "starving people in the world" and because it was rude to refuse to eat the food you were offered.

I have eaten cold sago since then but I still loathe mayonnaise, which is an ingredient of just about every ready made sandwich.  I think that I am in love with Bruce Willis, perhaps because in The Whole Nine Yards, his character says
"I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door".

(I think that I may have been a bit in love with him even before then, as long before I saw the movie, I had a dream in which doctors had given me a sex change and told me that my new name would be Demi.)
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: MaryT on September 18, 2017, 09:13:12 AM
When I was a child, a number of foods (especially in school dinners) made me throw up, but the ones most guaranteed to were warm sago pudding and mayonnaise.  I wasn't allowed to say no, no matter how often they saw me vomitting, because of the "starving people in the world" and because it was rude to refuse to eat the food you were offered.

I have eaten cold sago since then but I still loathe mayonnaise, which is an ingredient of just about every ready made sandwich.  I think that I am in love with Bruce Willis, perhaps because in The Whole Nine Yards, his character says
"I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door".

(I think that I may have been a bit in love with him even before then, as long before I saw the movie, I had a dream in which doctors had given me a sex change and told me that my new name would be Demi.)

I like mayonnaise but I think miracle whip is disgusting.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 18, 2017, 09:23:55 AM
I like mayonnaise but I think miracle whip is disgusting.

No no Julia you have it backwards.

Laurie

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 18, 2017, 10:28:31 AM
No no Julia you have it backwards.

Laurie

Oh no, a miracle whip lover.  I've never liked miracle whip. Ewww.  My dad is a miracle whip lover too so that's what he bought when I was little. I wouldn't ever eat the sandwiches he made me but I always ate sandwiches at my grandmas house. He finally figured out why and started buying mayo to use on my sandwhices like normal people do.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 18, 2017, 10:51:10 AM
Oh no, a miracle whip lover.  I've never liked miracle whip. Ewww.  My dad is a miracle whip lover too so that's what he bought when I was little. I wouldn't ever eat the sandwiches he made me but I always ate sandwiches at my grandmas house. He finally figured out why and started buying mayo to use on my sandwhices like normal people do.

Ewww A mayo user!  I'll forgive you Julia. I have to buy both here because my sister likes that bland white concoction too. There's certainly no accounting for taste is there?

Careful with that bashing of a mod girl!  I is a normal people  :P :P

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

MaryT

Quote from: Laurie on September 09, 2017, 12:41:12 AM
When I visited Portsmouth, England many many moons ago I would see signs advertising Roasted faggots. I new the British called cigarettes fags but was pretty sure that was not it. There was a second possibility going round in my head but I was Positive it wasn't that one either. I'm pretty sure that one would have been illegal.
  No, I never did buy any to find out what they actually were.

I think that someone else told you what roasted faggots are, but I think that you were too quick to rule out the second possibility.  Tom Brown's Schooldays is a classic about the adventures of a young fag (servant to older boys) at Rugby School.  This is what happened to him because he refused to sell a lottery ticket (courtesy of Project Gutenberg):

"Very well then; let's roast him," cried Flashman, and catches hold of Tom by the collar. One or two boys hesitate, but the rest join in. East seizes Tom's arm, and tries to pull him away, but is knocked back by one of the boys, and Tom is dragged along struggling. His shoulders are pushed against the mantelpiece, and he is held by main force before the fire, Flashman drawing his trousers tight by way of extra torture. Poor East, in more pain even than Tom, suddenly thinks of Diggs, and darts off to find him. "Will you sell now for ten shillings?" says one boy who is relenting.

Tom only answers by groans and struggles.

"I say, Flashey, he has had enough," says the same boy, dropping the arm he holds.

"No, no; another turn'll do it," answers Flashman. But poor Tom is done already, turns deadly pale, and his head falls forward on his breast, just as Diggs, in frantic excitement, rushes into the hall with East at his heels.

"You cowardly brutes!" is all he can say, as he catches Tom from them and supports him to the hall table. "Good God! he's dying. Here, get some cold water—run for the housekeeper."
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 15, 2017, 02:36:48 PM

Have you ever tried pumpkin pie with minced pecans in it? I've made several from scratch, and find them irresistible.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 18, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
Have you ever tried pumpkin pie with minced pecans in it? I've made several from scratch, and find them irresistible.
I think pecans would be good with anything. 

Anyone who doesn't like pecans should be committed and examined for sociopathic tendencies.  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 18, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
No but I will now. Thanks for a great idea.😊
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

RobynD

I will eat and semi-enjoy most foods (mainstream foods not stuff like crickets). I even was ok with liver and onions as a kid.

The one thing i remember that i do not eat to this day is canned lima beans with butter on them. Something about Lima Beans, the only legume that is yucky to me.

•