Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My thoughts on stealth

Started by elkie-t, September 17, 2017, 09:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elkie-t

It's not that I am against it, or would advocate that the first thing you say to a person is 'Hi, my name is Xxx and I'm a transsexual'. But, I'd rather keep it somewhat similar to any other medical conditions. Meaning, you don't advertise them, but you don't really keep it a secret from people who know you or people who has a need to know.

Imagine a cis-woman who won't be able to conceive a child. It would be expected that her future husband knows of this little fact before they both say 'I do'. Would any lady's boyfriend need to know? Some might in a context - don't worry about protection, I trust you and I cannot have a baby. But some may never know.

Would your employer need to know if you survived a cancer? Maybe not, unless you still need some accommodations from him. Yet if you do, you would be best to address those before you accept job offer.

What about religious people who might be offended by your past? I'd say their beliefs are their problem, they had eyes to see and if they couldn't - it's their problem, not yours. Although it would be wise not to invest too much time into a community that would not appreciate you for who you are.

At the end, I know it's very liberating not to have people around you treating you differently from any other person, but is it healthy to trade one 'dark secret' (be it a crossdressing, or desire to be a woman), to another? I think those who openly say 'I want to be a girl' from early on, not hiding their crossdressing from the world (or openly wear androgynous clothing before transition, and not hiding about their transition either - are surrounded by people who ultimately accept them, and as a result they know they can rely on them.

What are your thoughts?
  •  

Corax

I'm a man and I want to be seen and completely live as such. My medical history and past is none of anyone's business with the exception of my doctors.
I don't think that I am hiding something or harbouring a dark secret when I don't tell people that I have been messed up at birth. But that might be because I think of myself much more as male than as trans anyway.

The only person who would need to know would be a potential romantic partner but other than that it is completely irrelevant and I don't want to unnecessarily complicate my life and having people see me as something "special" again. 
  •  

Barb99

I'm trying to figure this out myself. I do know that some will treat you differently than they did before they knew and for no reason other than a bit of irrelevant information.
  •  

Nina

It's funny, that when I had my mammogram a few weeks ago, I offered up to the technician that it was my 3 year GCS anniversary. No idea why I needed to say this, it certainly wasn't relevant.
I find every once in a blue moon, I'll do this...not sure why. Have I become so secure in my real life...and doubt I'm passing as well as I do? Do I need validation or a pat on the back from someone to say "congrats, you're brave?"
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Elis

Just like with any other medical condition I have it's simply not relevant for it to be shared freely; unless I'm in a relationship with somebody. I want to be seen as myself without being seen as something 'special' or a trans person instead of simply a person. I do feel like I'm somehow living a secret live; but that's simply due to internalised transphobia and not being open about being nb.

That being said I'd like to help the community in some way in the future; but it'll be on my own terms and with other trans people.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Dayta

Hi Elis,

I think that one would have an obligation to be frank with employers with respect to benefits, as insurance coverages vary by gender.  If one's legal name (if appropriate) and gender changes are complete, I no longer see that as an obligation. 

With respect to romantic partners, I think it's maybe an obligation, but even if not something that probably should be revealed in the interest of building a good honest foundation with one's partner.  I can't imagine being with someone that I didn't feel safe talking to about myself. 

Other than that, I don't believe anyone has a single obligation to any other people/institutions.  One ought to be wary of legal issues when visiting, considering that local or foreign gov'ts may enact specific legislation that could countermand legal name/gender changes and potentially put one at personal risk.  But it's still not an obligation in my book. 

Erin

•