Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Do girls get called man online?

Started by Angelic, September 16, 2018, 07:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelic

Okay so, a buddy of mine, said something along the lines of, "Here's the website, man".

It kind of irritated me but, I try to keep my cool.

I am wondering, if I make a fuss will it prove I am a male? Because I imagine, if a chick online someone said that to them, they wouldn't make a fuss about it. And that "cool" chicks get called man. But I'm not sure, so I made this thread.

Also, I never actually told him what gender I am, I figure neutral will be best of both worlds.
Intolerables, everywhere...cannot escape them.
  •  

epvanbeveren

By looking at your example the use of "man" is not really gender related. A lot of people, including cis gender woman, will use the word "man" in this sample.

It bothered me a little at the beginning until I realized they weren't referring to me or any one else in that matter. It's just a expression just like "honey" is used sometimes without actually meaning you are their honey. :)
I am a K. MacPhee girl, re-born on October 4 2017 in Raleigh/Durham NC. USA
I was AMAB on May 6 1963 in Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

OUT and proud - 2014
HRT - 2015
Legal - 2016
GRS - 2017

Full Time - 01/01/2015:
first day (01) of new life (01), '15 = opposite of 51 (my age at the time)

•  

Alice V

Yeah agree, I think it just kind of interjection :)
Many cis women call themselves bro sometimes in jokingly manner and ok when others call them same.
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

Lady Sarah

Could it be just a regional thing? Where I live, guys call each other "bro", and only "man" when they are upset. Women are "miss", or "ma'am". I never see a guy finishing a line with "man" to a woman, even online.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 17, 2018, 05:24:32 PM
Could it be just a regional thing? Where I live, guys call each other "bro", and only "man" when they are upset. Women are "miss", or "ma'am". I never see a guy finishing a line with "man" to a woman, even online.

@Lady Sarah:

"Hey girl," or "see you later girl", is the usual beginning or ending line in real life casual conversation or in texts, emails and thread posts with a woman acquaintance and in most cases with a stranger unless more formality is called for then "miss" or "ma'am" is sometimes used.... at least in most encounters that I am involved in.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Sephirah

I know several people who, online, call literally everyone "man". Regardless of gender. It's just how they speak.

QuoteI am wondering, if I make a fuss will it prove I am a male? Because I imagine, if a chick online someone said that to them, they wouldn't make a fuss about it. And that "cool" chicks get called man. But I'm not sure, so I made this thread.

It really depends on the person. I know some women online go out of their way to assert their womanhood at every possible opportunity. But some don't. Some make a giant deal of it, and are quick to correct anyone. But some just roll with it. I don't think it says as much about you, either way, as you might think it does, sweetie.

But then I roll in gamer circles. And online, women who play games are basically treated like unicorns. Inherent disbelief from the guys. We're supposed to like fashion and flower arranging. So a lot of us feel the need to assert ourselves at every opportunity. Personally I don't really care. But I know a lot of women do.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

then of course if someone is addressing a group of guys and girls, men and women, then one could say "hey guys",,,  "see you later guys"   "are all of you guys coming to the party."  etc, etc.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

alyssalove2790

I think the use of ''man'' there is just a substitution. You can remove it and still make sense... I see it very often in my online communities and most of the time it ain't gender related.  ;)

In fact, I get mistaken as a girl online from the way I write!  :D It's very flattering!
2018/**/** Coming out
2019/01/15 Begun HRT! Low dose Cypro and E.
2019/03/04 Full time woman!
  •  

Angelic

Quote from: epvanbeveren on September 17, 2018, 12:11:06 AM
By looking at your example the use of "man" is not really gender related. A lot of people, including cis gender woman, will use the word "man" in this sample.

It bothered me a little at the beginning until I realized they weren't referring to me or any one else in that matter. It's just a expression just like "honey" is used sometimes without actually meaning you are their honey. :)

Agreed.

I agree with pretty much everybody, except for
Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 17, 2018, 05:24:32 PM
Miss or ma'am, implies a Western chivalry, of putting someone else higher than you. Like a man getting on his knee demonstrating subservience to a female.

Online, post people would not call a buddy "ma'am", it is too formal anyway.

But yes, a customer service representative, of a business, would call someone "ma'am" because, they are in a position of subservience, to treat the customer on a pedestal.

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on September 17, 2018, 05:42:29 PM

@Lady Sarah:

"Hey girl," or "see you later girl", is the usual beginning or ending line in real life casual conversation or in texts, emails and thread posts with a woman acquaintance and in most cases with a stranger unless more formality is called for then "miss" or "ma'am" is sometimes used.... at least in most encounters that I am involved in.
Danielle
The only time I hear guys call girls "girl" is when they have a crush on them or the hots for them or something.

Intolerables, everywhere...cannot escape them.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on September 17, 2018, 05:44:59 PM
then of course if someone is addressing a group of guys and girls, men and women, then one could say "hey guys",,,  "see you later guys"   "are all of you guys coming to the party."  etc, etc.

In that context, it is far more likely for me to hear someone say y'all, instead of guys.

One context in which I could see someone finishing sentences with "man" would be a regional or generational thing, kind of like Canadians finishing a sentence with "eh". Nothing wrong with that at all. I wouldn't expect anyone to change a speaking habit all because someone might get a bit butthurt over it due to being oversensitive.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •