Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denni

Steph,
So happy to know that you are back, and that even though life can become unpredictable and difficult at times, friends, and our own inner resolve can truly keep us going forward in our journey through life. As you stated the life that has been given to us is difficult enough and then when normal everyday life throws itself into the mix it can indeed become overbearing. The political system we are living under right now with all of the hatred, this past week with the comments that were made, anger me, and I know others, what example are the supposed adults of the world leaving for our kids and grandkids. Having just gone through some very difficult times myself in the past two weeks I can only offer to you what has helped me, I look at myself in the mirror and know that I am stronger than all of the things swirling around me, that I am going to get through this and I am going to be a better person because of it. I also know Steph you have come out of this a much stronger and better person. Sometimes it seems like we have to experience some real lows in our life to make us realize and appreciate the positive things that we have achieved. Glad you are back, keep smiling, take care, and a big hug
  •  

Michelle_P

Steph, I'm just glad to see that you are back and posting.

Life can indeed blindside us, with both good and bad things.  It's a real roller coaster ride sometimes, and I often have trouble keeping my arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, and have the spiritual bruises to prove it.

I'm just glad you are OK, and we don't have to send @Laurie after you.

The new avatar looks great, by the way.  And, I love that green skirt with pencil belt!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

LizK

Hi Steph great to see you back and posting it says to me that you have managed to overcome the obstacle that caused you so much distress. It takes time for our brains to catch up with our new selves and many around can see the differences that we can be so blind too.

Nice to see that smiling face again

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

Wow, thank you all for the nice replies! It makes me happy to know I have so many friends here. I'll try to catch up with what everyone else has been doing, along with filling you in on a few things I did while I was looking for myself, but right now I want to talk about today.

Sue and I spent a large part of the day helping Cassie work on some repairs to her house. It was incredibly hot and humid, and I ended up completely drenched in perspiration. But of course, I wasn't sweating, I was glistening.

We called it quits about 5pm, and I cleaned up and dressed up, and Sue and I went to the Orlando Science Center for "Science Night Live" (SNL). No kids tonight, and everything was aimed at adults. It was a great opportunity to not just get my geek on, but to get myself back out in the real world and start rebuilding my confidence. And it was amazing fun, not just for the Science, but for how well it went for me. It was indeed a great confidence builder. I'm still buzzing from it all. Not much more to say, so I'll just share some pictures.

I was asked to take someone else's picture and in return they took ours.

The sign says Look, Study, Inspect, Stare at, or Ogle, but Do Not Touch. I thought it was an appropriate sign for the cutie in the picture.

Oh dear! I don't like him when he's angry!

This thing is huge inside!

The next one is in August. I hope to go again then!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jessica

Looks like you had a wonderful day, what a fun way to "get your geek on"!

Hugs and smiles, Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Laurie

It's good to see you out and about after helping Cassie out.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Sarah_P

Hi Steph! I'm so glad you're feeling better. The science center looks fun! I'm sorry that I seem to have missed the trouble you were having (and probably a lot more site-wide in the last several weeks), so here's a big digital retroactive hug!

::HUGS THROUGH THE BOUNDARIES OF TIME AND SPACE::
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

Jayne01

Hi Steph, you and Sue both look like you had a great time at the  science night. It's good to see you getting out there again, rebuilding your confidence. When you lose some of that confidence and then rebuild it again, it ends up being more robust, so next time it gets much harder to knock you down. I'm proud of you girl.

Does this now make you Steph3.0 or is it more like 2.1?

(((Hug)))

Jayne
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Jayne01 on June 04, 2018, 10:22:58 PM
Hi Steph, you and Sue both look like you had a great time at the  science night. It's good to see you getting out there again, rebuilding your confidence. When you lose some of that confidence and then rebuild it again, it ends up being more robust, so next time it gets much harder to knock you down. I'm proud of you girl.

Does this now make you Steph3.0 or is it more like 2.1?

(((Hug)))

Jayne

@Jayne01  .... yes, you made a good point... and I agree with your comments about Stephanie rebuilding confidence and self-assurance to be even more robust and more resistant.

I was thinking along the lines that the previous Steph2.0 was really a "beta" version and now that the bugs have been resolved, it is now just as it should be... Steph2.0 .... she is still our very own "Stephanie" to all of us on the Forums.
Hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 04, 2018, 10:32:59 PM
@Jayne01  .... yes, you made a good point... and I agree with your comments about Stephanie rebuilding confidence and self-assurance to be even more robust and more resistant.

I was thinking along the lines that the previous Steph2.0 was really a "beta" version and now that the bugs have been resolved, it is now just as it should be... Steph2.0 .... she is still our very own "Stephanie" to all of us on the Forums.
Hugs,
Danielle

Oh I like that! "Beta" version sounds good. We shall go with what Danielle just said!

Don't mind us Steph, we are only analysing your username. [emoji23]

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

You're making me smile. [emoji4]

I really do intend to write you all individually, but I've been busier than expected as I get out of my hole and back to living my life again. Lots of appointments and work in the shop to catch up on. But please, I love to hear you all banter here in my house. Carry on...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Hey Lady we aren't going to do all your work for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

LizK

Hi Steph

Great to see you looking happy and obviously enjoying yourself. so glad things are better with you again.

Take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

steph2.0

I started writing the following in @Alaskan Danielle 's new thread about positive thinking, but realized that it was more appropriate to put it here. It's more a letter to myself than a message to you all. I think I just wanted to get it out. You may or may not find any value in it. Some have told me that I should be writing about all of my experiences, good and bad, so readers can get a full understanding of it all. So, for better or worse...

————————-

I've always been a skeptical, cynical pessimist. In my later years I tended to hide it with wry, self-deprecating humor. My joke was that some people say the glass is half full, others say the glass is half empty, but I say, "who's been drinking my beer?"

Fifty years of negativity fed by living the wrong role, among other personal shortcomings, is a hard thing to rise above. In the early months of transition the relief allowed for moments of irrational exuberance punctuated by occasional, almost cyclic crashes. After a while things seemed to stabilize, lit regularly by moments of wonder and joy. Then the pace slowed down, things that had been surprising and wonderful started becoming commonplace and normal, and there were fewer milestones to be seen on the road ahead - and they were so far away.

My social life was somewhat limited, with a very small circle of family, friends, and neighbors, a few of whom were absolutely perfect, but many of whom still struggle with names and pronouns and are constant reminders of the old pain. All are accepting and supportive, for which I'm thankful, but some try harder than others, and a few aren't putting much effort into it at all, despite being good to me in all other aspects. I have trans friends who wonder what the fuss is about, but after putting all this huge effort into remaking myself - or should I say, unmaking my old facade - hearing that old name or "he" still cuts like a knife.

There have been bright spots. The brightest is I've discovered a dear friend who has the ability to tease happiness out of my gloom, and through helping them in return has allowed me to discover some sense of self-worth; my wife and family still have my back, and though the older members still misgender me, they do know how it hurts and are really trying to get it right. I've been accepted into the trivia team I've mentioned before. They know of my past, but never met the old me, so are good with the name and pronouns. And I've rediscovered old friends and relatives who are also uplifting in their acceptance. And despite what some here say about the value of passing, with a little care, in day to day life I do seem to be getting by with strangers, and that remains important to me.

Yet I still trip and fall face-first occasionally. And I'm wondering whether, for me at least, these low spots are inevitable and necessary to future growth. Some of you who've been with me here for a while may remember my compilation of quotes from when I came out on Facebook last October. I just ran across one of them that seems appropriate:

Sometimes a breakdown can be the beginning of a kind of breakthrough, a way of living in advance through a trauma that prepares you for a future of radical transformation.

- Cherrie Moraga

My latest crash was among the worst I've experienced. The negative thoughts snowballed and there seemed to be no stopping the freefall. I was terrified of some of the thoughts that were boiling in my head, and I wondered if there would be anything worth picking up after I hit the ground. I worried my family and my friend through some shameful actions. But they, and I include all of you here on Susan's as family - came to my rescue and caught me before that sudden stop.

While things aren't all rainbows and lollipops, I have started moving forward again. The irrational exuberance is gone, but the sun does peek out more often now. I'll write about some nice experiences separately, and keep putting one foot in front of the other, while watching for the next deadfall.

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

Hi Steph,

I am very happy to see you back and posting about your experiences. Sometimes just writing about what has been troubling us is enough to get us through the day. You have lots of friends here who will always support you. While we are always thrilled to here about your successes and shining moments, we are also here to help support you when you are down.

You have been on a fast paced roller coaster ride up until now with lots of ups and some downs and now you have come flying down a steep stomach turning downhill run and you are left feeling dizzy and wondering what just happened. As you make your way off this ride, it's good to take a moment to gather your thoughts and let the adrenaline settle down before making your way to the next exciting ride.

The next phase of your transition may not proceed as quickly as the previous phase, but that will give you more time to enjoy the journey.

Glad to have you back girl!

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

LizK

This journey is certainly not for the faint hearted. I think you are right that this crashing that we experience is all part of the deal. I can tell you it will get better but there may well be a few more "crash and burns" along the way. They will just make the good times feel better!! Importantly you have solid network of people who look out for you, which is so important and quite a testing time for them. I thinks its when things get really hard that we find out where our true allies are.

It good that you are feeling a bit better and even more positive that you have such good insight. I understand how scary it can get inside our heads when our worlds feel like they are falling apart. Just prior to coming out and deciding that transition was my best shot at long term happiness the "go to" place my brain went was usually involving self harm in some way. That in itself can get very hard to deal with.

I hope you continue to make progress and will be in a better space soon

Take care
Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Hi Hun,

Oh girl, I know that crash and burn well. As you well know. Even when you feel and know you are crashing we may have little to no control of it. Such it was for me. I had my goto support friend and everyone here trying to help. It did help to an extent,but I still continued down.  I had many worried. Even those I talked with, who knew how bad I was getting were worried. The best thing I could do for myself at the time was to do as they recommended and tell my therapist and get medical help for depression. I did this as I was near the bottom. I was still falling and deciding on how I was going to do myself in. I came to a decision and had my plan. The only thing that stopped me from executing it (and myself) was the season. I had to wait for spring and it was still a few weeks away. There was nothing that was going to stop me. Fortunately the medication started working before spring sprung itself on the land. I honestly believe the medication is what stopped me. I started feeling better and got out to make a few visits to friends that wanted to help and I kept putting the off. That's when I met my now girlfriend irl. That meeting is what gave me the reason to live again. I had been feeling better yes, but it was Michele that gave me the will to live.
  Our depression can be devastating, S((tep)han)(i)e, It can be deadly. It can be something nether we nor our friends can pull us out of like it was for me. It was only with medication that I could begin to feel better Which in turn allowed me to go visiting and that helped me to find a reason to live again. Short of that I am sure I would not have been here to do my Road Trip 2.0  That also brought me further back to myself. It was talking to those people in person about my trials that help me more. I thank everyone who helped.
  A special shout out to Ann of the Monica and Ann show. Talking to her helped me understand that suicide my end my personal issues,but it would have an impact on everyone that I have touched in some way. Ann got me to understand that I leave a part of myself in everyone I interact with. I felt alone and unloved bereft on my family for the most part. No one matter to me as much as my daughter and grandchildren. When I lost them I lost my reason for life I thought. I could not see the hurt that my suicide would hurt. Without my talk with Ann I still would not know. Thank you Ann.

Stephanie, try to remember you are never alone with your problems unless you want to be. Even then you may find those that will still reach to help if you will let them. Listen to them. Some of then know what it is like. Let them help you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Charlie Nicki

Steph, thank you for this message. It is good to be reminded that we will all have bumps along the way and we need to get through them to live our real life. Hugs.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

steph2.0

Jayne, Liz, Kendra, Laurie, Charlie Nicki, thank you. It's good to know that you find
my musings worth reading.

On to better things. Here's a small one that helped lift my spirits a bit.

As Kendra or Laurie or Cassie can tell you, I live near a pretty small town that doesn't have a lot of amenities. Most of the shopping is done in the Super Walmart that's about four miles from home. I've been shopping there for the ten years I've lived here.

I would still be trying to use regular nail polish on my nails - which always looked terrible because it gets chipped so easily, especially since HRT seems to have weakened my nails - if Cassie hadn't insisted on taking me along when she got her nails done with extensions and acrylic dip. I was scared to death the first time, but I followed her lead and put on a brave face, and it was wonderful. I'd gone with her another time since then, and they were growing out yet again and working loose and looking terrible. I had to do something about them and I had things coming up that I wanted to look good for before Cassie and I could get together again. I contacted one of my neighbors to see if she'd go with me as moral support but she was busy. What to do...

In the front of the Walmart there's a nail salon. I'd passed it countless times and didn't pay much attention in the old days. Once I started transitioning I'd glance sideways longingly as I went by, but the thought of sitting there in full view of everyone, including any neighbors who'd inevitably be shopping, absolutely terrified me.

But this time... I put on my favorite new skort and a nice fitted top, and blasted over there in the RocketSkate. Slung my purse over my shoulder and marched right in. And it was fine. It was actually just part of the "new normal." The only anxiety I had was due to my voice, though nobody seemed to have a problem with it. I ended up with beautiful new gel nails, which I'd never tried before. They're very tough, and I was even able to file down the ones on the left hand without them looking bad, so I could play my guitar again. That was therapeutic in itself.

After getting the nails done I did some grocery shopping, which is old stuff now. Shopping is no longer an ordeal - in fact, I enjoy being out as myself so much now that I try to prolong the trip - even in Walmart! I hate to go home.

It's just another example of how far I've come. Just a few short months ago I would have been nearly catatonic with fear at the thought of being seen even glancing at the salon - of even entertaining the thought of doing what most women don't think twice about. But now... well, I'm just another of those women.

Let's go!

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

Dear Stephanie, your last update is so right-on regarding boldly and confidently getting out there as the new you.  I can absolutely agree with you that it is a wonderful feeling to finally feel free to be yourself....

Oh yeah, about your nails,  I am getting my hair trimmed and my nails done for my dinner date with Suitor #3 on Saturday night.......  these are exciting times for girls like us.   I love being pampered like that and also my dating activities.

Thanks for posting your good news update, looking forward for more from you.... oh and thanks for posting on my new "Positive Mindset" thread .... please feel to stop by there often....

Wishing your continued success and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •