Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

what is your sound system setup?

Started by Ell, October 28, 2007, 02:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ell

i have a traditional receiver and speakers with a dvd player plugged into it for a turntable, but i haven't used it in more than a year.

because, i went and got a wire at best buy or fry's or someplace, that has a standard headphone-type connector at both ends. i hooked up one end to one of the headphone ports on my old blue and white imac, (yes, i'm on system 10.4.9!) and hooked up the other end to the Auxiliary input on my bose wave radio/cd player and voila!  seriously, i've got all the watts i can handle, plus my entire itunes music collection, plus i can use the equalizer from itunes (one of the few short-comings of the bose wave is that it doesn't have an equalizer), plus internet radio and pandora.com. it's totally great.

all because i went down and got a cool little connecting wire for around 10 dollars.   :P  :P

•  

Pica Pica

Nice get up.
I've just got a >-bleeped-<ty little CD box plugged into some mid range computer speakers to take the tinniness off. When I am rich and settled, a nice hfi is going to be one of my investments.
  •  

Suzy

Well mine is a bit unique.  My computer also runs a recording studio.  So I have 10 input/10 output M-Audio card in a rack mounted system that connects via an audio snake to the computer, which has 4 hard drives running in an array for recording.  It is fed by a 16 channel mixer with all kinds of stuff running into it. mics, CD players, etc.  There are also EQs, compressors, a sonic maximizer, and other goodies in the loop, not to mention the software processing that goes on.  The whole thing is connected up to some Alesis active studio monitors that can be heard a block away when I crank them.  Well, suffice it to say that this girl can make some noise!

Kristi
  •  

Hazumu

A pair of Mackie HR 824s

For me, the rest (various sources fed through a Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer) is unimportant, the transducers are everything!

Karen
  •  

Laura Elizabeth Jones

Sounds like you have a sweet system, Kristi.

all I have are the stock speakers that came with my computer. Blah.
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Karen on October 28, 2007, 11:02:11 PM
A pair of Mackie HR 824s
For me, the rest (various sources fed through a Mackie VLZ 1402 mixer) is unimportant, the transducers are everything!
Karen

You have good taste in mixers, Karen!  Mine is a Mackie 1604VLZ3 16-Channel Mixer.  I also have an old Mackie CR1604 and a couple of others, but this is my favorite.

Oh, and Ell, sometimes others come to record.  Sometimes I pack it up and record at other venues.  It's all fairly portable.

Kristi
  •  

Christo

I got a bose gsx home theater system.  whooo hooo :icon_joy:  I got it 4 a cheap price in d.c.   I paid more gettin it here than what it cost.  it sounds hella cool though.  hehehe :icon_dance:
  •  

OtherWorldJJ

I have 2 diff systems I use at the moment depending on whether my PC is on or not.

The one I use most is my PC:
I have a 4.1 Logitech Xtrusio system hooked up to the digital and a 5.1 creative system hooked up to the analogue making it 9.2 in total, its very loud and fills the whole room with sound thanks to all the satellites. Also, thanks to various DFX and LASPA plugins under Linux which I can pass my Amarok output through, the sound is excellent and very atmospheric (makes my flat seem much bigger).

The second system, which I used to plug my decks into when I had them is a Sony mini hifi component system (MHC-RG440S) which is also very loud, so much so that I don't really have it on when the flat is empty as the massive sub sounds like its going to blast holes in the floor lol, but its handy when the PC is off as I can play MP3 CDs etc on it.

I love music so I'm always faffing about with my kit :P
  •  

Ell

Quote from: Karen on October 28, 2007, 11:02:11 PM
A pair of Mackie HR 824s

Karen

i looked up the Mackie HR 824 monitors, but they didn't look like monitors. they looked more like speakers. why do they call them monitors?

-ell
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: ell on November 14, 2007, 08:10:46 PM

i looked up the Mackie HR 824 monitors, but they didn't look like monitors. they looked more like speakers. why do they call them monitors?

-ell

They are studio monitors.  Yes, they look like speakers because they are, but very accurate ones.

Kristi
  •  

Kate Thomas

I keep my stereo at work
2 jbl sr4726 15" two way, bi-amped
2 jbl sr4719 dual 18" sub
2 crown ce1000 stereo amps
2 crown ce1000 bridged mono (subs)
1 dbx driverack PA
1 allen-heath gl2200 32 channel mixer

at home i enjoy the quiet.
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

tekla

Mackie = Sound on a Stick.  They are OK for school pep rallies or the like, but I like the Meyers Mica or L'Acoustic V-DOS for pro systems. (by way of disclaimer, I am a union stagehand, with certs as an A-1 audio tech / board op - among other things)

Back in the day, I had a Klipsch La Scala road system powered by two Mission Cyrus Amps.  My neighbors hated me, and they lived about 3/4 of a mile away.

But now I tend just to run the line-out of the iBook into my Crate rehearsal amp - a single 10" speaker.  Seems to do alright.  I have a Marshall Super Lead Plexi (not the replica, the original) that when I refurbished it I ran a line-in but that seems extreme for the apartment ya know.  I do break down every now and then and put on some AC/DC and let it rock.

But mostly I listen on a Samsung MP3 player with a set of Grado SR325 headphones.  That seems OK too.  The MP3 lack the sonic imaging of a CD player, but the size deal is huge.  For what my Samsung can carry in it I would have to pack a huge amount of CDs.

And, I'm either going or coming from a show, and I've long since given up on getting anything to match the sound of a good line array system, so I listen close when I'm at the show, and get by the rest of the time.

kat

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •