Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Coming out to my manager

Started by Jessica_Rose, October 11, 2017, 06:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

My manager works in another state. I had wanted to talk to him one face-to-face, but our schedules never worked out. I finally gained enough courage to send him a note today. I waited until the end of my workday to send the note, so I won't know his response until tomorrow. I work for a large company (over 30,000 employees) which is LGBTQ friendly and has well-defined guidelines for transitioning, with an emphasis on confidentiality.

After sending the note I went to my electrolysis appointment. On the drive there I started thinking about what I had just done and was almost overcome with emotion. The only word that came to mind was 'freedom'. I realized I was one step closer to freeing my soul from the darkness where I have kept it hidden all of these years.

Here is a copy of the note, hopefully I did not cross the TMI (too much information) boundary:

I wanted to have a face-to-face conversation with you, but since personal schedules are hard to predict a note will have to suffice.

First let me allay some of your concerns. I love working here and would like to stay until I retire, which will hopefully be another 10 years or more. I enjoy the work I am doing, and I consider everyone I work with to be a friend.

There is something I must tell you, but I want to give you a little background information to help explain my situation. I have always felt that I was somehow different, but it was a feeling I could not accurately describe. These feelings caused internal conflicts, significant frustration and even anger at times. Through the years I learned to control my behavior, but I never knew the source of my pain.

In December of last year I had an epiphany -- I finally understood the source of my pain. All my life I have been trying to fulfill the roles and expectations placed on any young man. The problem is I should actually have been a woman. I am transgender.

There are many theories as to what causes this condition, but that does not matter to me.  All I know is how I feel. I started hormone replacement therapy under a doctor's care in late March of this year. Since then my cloud of darkness has started to dissipate. Each new day has brought me increasing moments of joy, and it is slowly becoming more difficult for me to conceal my secret.

I do not know when I will begin my social transition. I believe one day I will wake up and realize that my time has finally arrived. It is hard to predict when that day will come, but I expect it will be within the next three to six months. I will give you as much warning as I can. Until then I will continue to present as a male at work and will dress and act appropriately.

I realize this will come as a shock to most people, it was a bit of a shock to me also. Luckily our company has quite a few resources to help with this situation, including information for managers and co-workers. You may want to start here:

(link to company's 'Gender Transition Guidelines' document)

Please guard this information carefully. Outside of my doctor there are only two people in the world who know my secret -- you are number three.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Megan.

Looks great to me. It's funny how we often care more about those we tell than ourselves. I also made sure my manager had access to policies and HR resources so they could manage effectively. Good luck with everything. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Gertrude

I work for a state university with over 23k workers and they  make a big deal out of diversity and inclusion, but for the life of me, I can't find any rules or policies in the staff manual. I've asked hr, but really didn't get a response that answered my questions. Basically, hormones are supposed to be covered now. Funny thing is that students get full coverage including surgery if they get their health plan through school. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I have to wonder if a SoCon runs HR. The other two state schools have coverage and policies, but we are the biggest by far. We're supposed to be the new American university.

Anyway, good on you that that you were able to come out at work because of your company's policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

TonyaW

Yeah , when I did it I attached a note saying "we need to talk about this" to a copy of the company's "Gender Transition Guidlines for Colleagues" and left it on her desk on a Thursday night.  I was off until Monday so I had 3 days to think about what I had done.  Was very nice to have that to start the conversation with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Kendra

Awesome!  I think you'll do great.  And you already feel waaaay better. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

elkie-t

I would edit your note in a few places, but generally speaking - it will drive your message through. I am sure your manager will respond tomorrow that you are very important part of the team and you have his full support (whether it is true or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks everyone. I realize the note could have been better, but composition was never my forte!

I cannot believe how good I felt after sending the note. After so many years of carrying that weight around, having it suddenly lifted was simply indescribable. There are one or two co-workers I may come out to this week. It would be nice to be out to someone that I work with so I can talk to them about what is really going on in my life.

I'll post an update tonight to let folks know how it goes. Thanks again for your support! 
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

Kendra

Your letter was fine exactly the way it is.  You wrote it in your own words - who you are, and things you want your manager to know. 

My mistakes are often caused by postponing things with the excuse of trying to perfect everything instead of just diving in once I've made a good decision. 

I think you did the right thing. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jessica_Rose

It took me a few hours to finally open the reply from my manager. Although I was expecting something positive, I almost lost it when I read his note:

I can't imagine the journey you must have taken to get to this decision, but I truly commend the strength and bravery it must have taken in your quest for happiness. Please know that others at this company have taken this journey, so your desire to fulfill the remainder of you career here should not be of any concern. There will likely be some bumps along the way, but know that I will support you to the best of my abilities as your manager.

I will take your lead in terms of approach and communication, but I would like to discuss this with our human resources contact, who also chairs the GLBT employee resource group, so I think she would be a great resource to help navigate the transition. Please let me know if I have your permission to discuss this with her.

If you need anything in the interim, please do not hesitate to call me.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Megan.

Perfect response! Fab. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Gertrude

How excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Colleen_definitely

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

elkie-t

Proper response. The manager had his training and didn't sleep through it. Again, it doesn't indicate nothing, but the fact that the company is pro-LGBT and your manager won't openly discriminate you or fire you on the spot for being transgender. He might be actually supportive, or he might not, keep your performance high and your back covered . Having said that - most people don't really care what you wear or how you call yourself as long as you get the job done and not bring any trouble to the boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Bari Jo

That's great.  I'm jealous.  I don't think my boss would be that understanding at all.  You are truly blessed.
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Kendra

•  

sarah1972

Congratulations Jessica! this is a great outcome. So happy for you.

I was in a similar situation with my manager being a few states away. I had already changed my name in the HR system (somehow I could do this myself) and I ended up calling him since I needed his vacation approval. It ended up pretty much the same way, very positive and supportive reaction.

Quote from: elkie-t on October 12, 2017, 09:56:02 PM
Proper response. The manager had his training and didn't sleep through it.
Funny you mentioned this. I read Jessica's Manager response and thought - wait... that sounds almost verbatim like  my managers response. Maybe they have been in the sam training?

•