News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Being forced to de-transition because of kidney/liver issues

Started by kayla1618, October 29, 2017, 09:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayla1618

This isn't happening to me. 

But it's definitely a fear I have while going into this whole thing...as my kidneys are kind of weak.
I'm just wondering if its happened to anyone here, and how they dealt with it.

•  

Laurie

Hi Kayla

You post begs the question: Why do you say your kidneys are weak? Did a doctors say this after tests or is it something you came up with yourself. If you have kidney disease it may be a problem and in that event you want to be under's care for that as you do for HRT.
  I can personally attest that not all kidney problems are an issue. I had one removed due to cancer (and a number of other misc parts) and it has not affected my transition.
  All medical issues and concerns should be brought to a qualified professional for their recommendations.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

kayla1618

Thanks Laurie,

Sorry about the cancer.  :(
But only having one kidney, is kind of affirming in a wierd sort of way, so thats good.

I say my kidneys are weak, because of some blood tests I had about 3 years ago.  The doctor mentioned something.
Also, they randomly hurt once in a while, and have done so for about 8 years.  Stabby pains usually.

Although I don't have any actual definitive proof/data on them though.  So i dunno.

Just was curious what others might have done in the event that their kidneys couldn't handle HRT.
Do they just bury everything and continue on like normal??

•  

Laurie

Hi again Kayla,

Thank you for clarifying your circumstances.

Again your doctors is your friend for this issue. But my own personal opinion is that it is likely not an issue since people do live full lives with even a part of one kidney. The pains you describe could be many things for overdoing something physical to an infection. (personal experience here) If the are a concern do consult a doctor. My opinions and experiences when it comes down to it mean nothing in a medical sense.  I wish you well.

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Dena

I know of a member who was down to 30% kidney function but was able to transition. She has a rigorous routine to maintain kidney function and is tested often however it was felt  the reduction is stress levels would more than offset any complications caused by he HRT. In her case it seems that the spiro may have been beneficial to her kidneys and the estrogen relatively harmless. Talk this over with your doctor if you are concerned about this because with proper care, you may be able to prevent any additional loss of function.

We have members who weren't permitted to have HRT because of clotting issues and they have chose to proceed with their transition. It makes things a bit more difficult but they were determined to find happiness.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •