Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Ponytails or braids? Breakage? Shedding?

Started by laurenb, June 17, 2017, 07:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurenb

A few years ago I had a mid-back length ponytail prior to starting HRT. I had it layer cut to my ears about a year+ ago and now have let it grow back out - it's shoulder length. I *love* to have my hair long. But it's summer and since I'm outdoors quite a bit in the garden (sweaty and dirty), I'm putting it up in a ponytail under a cap or hat. Leaving it down makes for lots of wind knot problems.

I have fine hair. The HRT (6 months now) has made my it even softer and way less oily than before. I can now go 3-4 days easily without washing it. I'm a bit worried that it's also possibly now more fragile. I don't have that much shedding but I do have a thin spot on top which I'm totally paranoid about getting worse.

My wife says that wearing a pony tail or braid puts pressure on the roots and will cause more hair to fall or pull out. I know the elastics can cause breakage and I know how to prevent that. But is she right? Would a braid be better? How long does it have to be to braid it? Can you sleep with a braid in?
  •  

Julia1996

Ponytails and braids don't cause hair to fall out as long as they aren't too tight. Yes you can sleep with your hair braided. I have a client who has me French braid her hair and she leaves it in a week at a time. Shoulder length hair is long enough for a small braid but if you have layers that's a bit of a problem for braiding. Depending on how much your layers have grown out, you could have a good amount of your hair slipping out of the braid because its not long enough. Ponytails are fine as long as you don't pull it too tight and always use a Terry coated ponytail ring. NEVER use a rubber band. You can also put your hair up with a big claw clip. That's what I use. It keeps my hair out of my way without being tight. If your hair is like really fine you can use a frizz control spray. The have silicone in them which lubricates the hair a bit and will make it less likely to tangle.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

laurenb

Thanks for the tips Julia! The layers are starting to grow out. I wish I could do bangs but I think with a somewhat receding hairline on the sides and front it may not look all that good. I wish there was an online service for transwomen where you upload pics of your hair/head/face and have some stylists make suggestions for cuts, styles and color. It'd be worth a few bucks to get some professional ideas before going seeing my stylist. She's good but she doesn't know I'm trans (I'd be surprised if she didn't guess but still) so asking what-if questions is a little uncomfortable - especially in an open salon setting when I'm sitting next to someone who knows my neighbor or whatever. Like I asked her to show me how to braid one time and I got some curious looks , LOL.
  •  

Gertrude

I found that not cinching the ponytail tight helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Dayta

Heya lauren! Ditto on the claw clips.  I used them almost exclusively before my transition, mostly out of that very fear of pulling ponies too tightly, and they give you a bunch of ways to hold your hair up and out of the way without any risk of damage.  Before I go to sleep, I often just pull the whole thing into a slightly loose knot, that sometimes works its way open during the night, but not always. 

My wife occasionally braids mine for me, and I've worn it for days at a time, with no discomfort.  It just starts to look a little ragged after a day or so. 

I had a round of transplants at the end of last year, and may do one more round this fall, but my hair is way too curly to make bangs a practical option, so I'm just wearing someone else's bangs for a few more months!   :)   I find that wig shops are really good places to see how different styles actually look on you.  There are a few styles that I finally had to give up on, because they just didn't look as cute on me as I imagined they would.  But I was also surprised at how good some others did look, ones that I might never have picked out for myself. 

Good luck, and hope you have some fun developing your style! 

Erin

•  

Amy Chislett

I have problems with my bangs breaking.  It's so annoying.  I think being in salt water so much makes it brittle.  So I have switched to a anti breakage conditioner.
HrbHRT 21Jun2016
mtf hetero
  •  

big kim

No problems, I have long hair almost to my breast, I work with food & ride a bike so I have a braid or ponytail.
  •