Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Learning self defense

Started by Selene, October 29, 2017, 05:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elkie-t

Quote from: jill610 on October 31, 2017, 06:29:43 AM
I have thought about this one a bunch as my own strength and stature has diminished over the last few years. I think pepper spray, situational awareness and being trained in self defense are all great things to have. The statistics on guns being used against the owner sway me personally away from carrying, even though concealed carry with a permit is allowed in my state.

I would question that statistic... And would definitely suggest owning a firearm and getting the permit if you can (and some training to know how to actually use the gun under the stress). Then you'd have options and options are good.

Then again - there are times and places when you would decide not to have the firearm with you. And as luck goes by - these are the times when you're most likely to be attacked. So, owning a firearm is good, having the license and training to carry is good, but relying on it as your only option for self-defense is not good.

Btw, pepper spray in a pink keychain fob is good. My wife carries that at all times and has it in her hand when she is most vulnerable (entering and exiting the car). I cannot say the same about a handgun...
  •  

jill610

Quote from: elkie-t on October 31, 2017, 10:56:07 AM
I would question that statistic... And would definitely suggest owning a firearm and getting the permit if you can (and some training to know how to actually use the gun under the stress). Then you'd have options and options are good.

Then again - there are times and places when you would decide not to have the firearm with you. And as luck goes by - these are the times when you're most likely to be attacked. So, owning a firearm is good, having the license and training to carry is good, but relying on it as your only option for self-defense is not good.

Btw, pepper spray in a pink keychain fob is good. My wife carries that at all times and has it in her hand when she is most vulnerable (entering and exiting the car). I cannot say the same about a handgun...

I was at one point licensed to operate a range, so I'm pretty confident in my ability to use a firearm. The trick is that in order for it to be effective you need to be confident in your ability to fire at another person with the intent to seriously injure or potentially kill them. If you cannot do that then you could be disarmed and the weapon used against you. So, while I am quite competent firing many types of firearms, I choose not to carry one even though I am permitted to do so because I am not confident that I would actually shoot it at another person.

•  

amandam

Quote from: elkie-t on October 31, 2017, 10:56:07 AM

That stat has been debunked from what I've read (let's not devolve into gun stat debates here). Guns are dangerous sure, even cops occasionally get their guns taken from them. Carry if you can AND you are confident in your weapon-handling. Martial art training is good for anyone.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •