Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What does my voice sound like?

Started by Weltschmerz, November 07, 2017, 12:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weltschmerz

Hello,

Can you please tell me what my voice sounds like? I had the voice tested for Hz a few times at the hospital and the speaking voice was 156 Hz which is between man and woman voice average (gender neutral). But when I hear myself recorded I don't hear what it is. To me it does not sound like a man voice, not like a woman voice. Can it pass as a man voice and can it pass as a female voice? Does it sound like a older woman who smoked her entire life? Does it sound like a boy in puberty? Does it sound like a girl with a deep voice? Does it sound like a gay man? What do you think?

It drives me crazy  :-X :-X :-X

https://vocaroo.com/i/s05lBYIWmoXd
  •  

Weltschmerz

So I did not say if I am mtf or ftm or my age on purpose. I will reveal it later. But this is because I want people to be honest. Don't be afraid of offending me. Anyone else?
  •  

Allie24

It sounds androgynous to me... Idk if that's bad though :(
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's place. By not telling me how you want to pass, I have to provide two answers instead of one.

As a female voice, it passes but it's somewhat monotone. Hitting a few higher notes from time to time would would help the ear in gendering you as female.

As a male voice, the pitch is still a little high when combined with the soft quality of your voice. Males with a harsher voice gender male at even higher pitches than where you are. Testosterone would most likely lower your voice enough for a more masculine sound.

If you are going for another voice, let me know so I can determine what you still need to work on.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Roll

I'll have to go with androgynous as well, with maybe a tiny, tiny lean to male based on pitch. I couldn't gender it definitively either way though, and certainly wouldn't bat an eye hearing it from either a man or a woman. Age wise, sounds mid 20s.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Weltschmerz

Thankyou for the feedback Allie, Dena and Roll :D I really appreciate you being honest.  :-*

So I am a mtf transsexual, 21 now. I was 17 when I started puberty blockers and had a little bit of vocal training. But I'm so afraid my voice will one day go deeper and manlier even when the testicles are gone :P But good to hear from you it does not sound male.

Here is my voice when I do a trained voice with vocal training (after 0:35)

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1dFzzdlbSSK
  •  

Allie24

Quote from: Weltschmerz on November 08, 2017, 03:23:19 AM
Thankyou for the feedback Allie, Dena and Roll :D I really appreciate you being honest.  :-*

So I am a mtf transsexual, 21 now. I was 17 when I started puberty blockers and had a little bit of vocal training. But I'm so afraid my voice will one day go deeper and manlier even when the testicles are gone :P But good to hear from you it does not sound male.

Here is my voice when I do a trained voice with vocal training (after 0:35)

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1dFzzdlbSSK

It is physically impossible for your voice to drop any lower without testosterone, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Here's the thing, sounding "authentically female" has nothing to do with your pitch and everything to do with your speech patterns (the words you use, the way you enunciate, facial expressions/gestures, etc.). So many trans women think that they just have to talk higher in order to sound female, but doing so just gives you the typical "trans voice." Find a range that is natural for you then pay attention to the ways women speak, not just the pitch they speak with. If passing is important, then it has to sound natural. The "trans voice" comes across to others as forced, which is why it can be easy to clock a trans women as soon as she opens her mouth.
  •  

Allison S

Gay voice because it's feminine but as Dena said not many high notes. I'm just being honest what I think from the choices you gave us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Weltschmerz

It is not like I told you to choose from those four options only. But if that is really what you think than I guess you are just honest :) Tyvm
  •  

Geeker

I'm not out, I'm not on E, unless things change I doubt I ever will be.
  •