Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 2.0

Started by big kim, November 23, 2017, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roll

Had some leftovers from a catered event last night that were so-so. Among them was some under seasoned chicken picatta with spaghetti noodles (which... weird choice to me, but whatever). There were also some steaks that were thawed and had to be cooked. First, with some extra herbs de provence I had to use up as well, I made a cream sauce. Turned out great. Then I cooked the steak in my fancy new cast iron skillet I got for christmas, and every and now and then would add some white wine to the pan and do a quick deglaze and push it all back under the steak. Wound up super flavorful and tender with just the whitewine, salt, and pepper in the pan. While that rested, I deglazed the pan thoroughly with the wine again, tossed in the pasta from the chicken picatta and got a nice coating on them, then added the cream sauce, toss everything... Oh dear god, it was amazing. The light lemon caper melded with the cream sauce and deglazed steak bits and wine into something I'm definitely cooking again. I was expecting decent, I wound up with freakin' delicious.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

ChrissyRyan

Blackened broiled Walleye with asparagus spears.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Walleye is a delicious freshwater fish.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

ChrissyRyan

You can buy or fish them, that is, wild caught from Northern US and Canadian rivers as well as from lakes, such as from Lake Huron and Lake Superior, or they can be raised in fish farms.  Groceries with fresh or fresh frozen fish sometimes have Walleye too, although it is easier to buy crab legs and lobster all the time most places as compared to Walleye.  The closer to the Great Lakes that you are, the more often you should see them in stores and restaurants for the wild caught Walleye.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 22, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
You can buy or fish them, that is, wild caught from Northern US and Canadian rivers as well as from lakes, such as from Lake Huron and Lake Superior, or they can be raised in fish farms.  Groceries with fresh or fresh frozen fish sometimes have Walleye too, although it is easier to buy crab legs and lobster all the time most places as compared to Walleye.  The closer to the Great Lakes that you are, the more often you should see them in stores and restaurants for the wild caught Walleye.

Thanks.  I've been into catfish fillets and nuggets so I'll check the next time I'm at the Super.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

I was lazy I took homemade spaghetti sauce out of the freeze into the mircowave and just have that with no noodles
  •  

V M

Stuffed chicken breast with green beans, mash and gravy  ;D
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Julia1996

I have the flu so I didn't cook. They ordered pizza. Tristan brought me up some pizza. I love pizza but feeling queasy I didn't even want to look at it. So Tristan went out and bought a bunch of soup so that's what I had for dinner.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Roll

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 09:52:33 AM
I have the flu so I didn't cook. They ordered pizza. Tristan brought me up some pizza. I love pizza but feeling queasy I didn't even want to look at it. So Tristan went out and bought a bunch of soup so that's what I had for dinner.

Chicken Noodle Soup, Ginger Ale, and Saltines. Eat up to get your strength back young lady!
~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Roll on January 23, 2018, 09:57:25 AM
Chicken Noodle Soup, Ginger Ale, and Saltines. Eat up to get your strength back young lady!

I still can't believe I got the flu! It sucks! I woke up later than usual and my dad was here. I asked him why he didn't work today and he said he took the day off to take care of me. That's very sweet but I just have the flu. It's not like I have anthrax or something. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

I almost forgot, for the pickle lovers they now have pickle juice popsicles. I had never heard of them but last night when he went to get my soup, Tristan found them and got some.  I haven't tried one yet but they sound good!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 10:10:13 AM
I almost forgot, for the pickle lovers they now have pickle juice popsicles. I had never heard of them but last night when he went to get my soup, Tristan found them and got some.  I haven't tried one yet but they sound good!

I like pickles but not as a popsicle.  I guess you're feeling a little better little sister?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on January 23, 2018, 11:49:08 AM
I like pickles but not as a popsicle.  I guess you're feeling a little better little sister?

I still feel like dog doo doo but I'm not real tired like I was yesterday.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 12:00:13 PM

Ooooooooooooooooooooook, glad you're feeling a little better,continue on.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

V M

Quote from: sarah1972 on January 22, 2018, 08:31:49 PM
French onion soup and salad...

Your French onion soup looks interesting, how do you make it?
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

sarah1972

This one I actually ordered at the hotel bar. If I make it at home, I follow the recipie below... I vary the cheese, I prefer a cheese with a milder taste.

Quote from: V M on January 23, 2018, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: sarah1972 on January 22, 2018, 08:31:49 PM
French onion soup and salad...

Your French onion soup looks interesting, how do you make it?

NGREDIENTS

2 lb medium onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry white wine
4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth (32 fl oz)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices of baguette
1 (1/2-lb) piece Gruyère, Comte, or Emmental
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Special Equipment
6 (8- to 10-oz) flameproof soup crocks or ramekins; a cheese plane

PREPARATION

Cook onions, thyme, bay leaves, and salt in butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 45 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in wine and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth, water, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
While soup simmers, put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Arrange bread in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and toast, turning over once, until completely dry, about 15 minutes.
Remove croûtes from oven and preheat broiler. Put crocks in a shallow baking pan.
Discard bay leaves and thyme from soup and divide soup among crocks, then float a croûte in each. Slice enough Gruyère (about 6 ounces total) with cheese plane to cover tops of crocks, allowing ends of cheese to hang over rims of crocks, then sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until cheese is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Cooks' note:
Soups and croûtes can be made 3 days ahead (but do not add croûtes and cheese to soup); cool completely, uncovered, then chill soup, covered, and keep croûtes in an airtight container at room temperature. Reheat soup before proceeding with recipe.

•  

V M

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 12:00:13 PM

I had the flu or some kind of nasty bug not to long ago, seems about all I did was sleep  :P  I hope you get feeling better soon Julia, glad the boys are doing their best to take care of you

Hugs

Hmmm, Pickle Juice Popsicles? Might have to give that a whirl sometime if my store carries them  ;D

- V M
  •  

Roll

~ Ellie
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!

6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•