Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Canada to appologise for historic discrimination against LGBT people

Started by stephaniec, November 20, 2017, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

•  

Laurie

It's good to read about positive progress in other countries while some are deteriorating.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

extraaction

Sorry isnt worth a can of beans...you cant cash a sorry in the bank and you cant send it through time to the victims.

This is feel-good nonsense.

Hang your sorry Trudeau, and give me a call when you've actually done something that MAKES A DIFFERENCE
beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes as deep as the soul
If you lack the strength to defend your beliefs, your beliefs aren't worth defending

The greatest gift you can give a demon is pretending it isn't real....
  •  

Faith

In announcements like that, sorry is worth a lot if it's sincere. It's a public acknowledgement of mistakes made and one of the first step to bringing about change. Right or wrong, it makes it easier for those on the fence to pick a side without becoming a target (of either side). Let's face it, some people aren't brave enough to get off the fence without being pushed.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Charlie Nicki

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Michelle_P

This is a vital first step in starting the process of healing and reconciliation.  Canada and Trudeau are to be commended for doing this. 

Many other governments and their leadership would never dream of doing something like this, preferring to rewrite or ignore their past, and happy to repeat their mistakes in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: extraaction on November 21, 2017, 05:43:21 AM
Sorry isnt worth a can of beans...you cant cash a sorry in the bank and you cant send it through time to the victims.

This is feel-good nonsense.

Hang your sorry Trudeau, and give me a call when you've actually done something that MAKES A DIFFERENCE

extraaction,

I am sorry to read your very strong  denouncement of this action. You are entitle to your opinion of course but I am sorry to see that you are unable to see the good in this acknowledgement of wrong doing by the Canadian government. You are correct that is does little in recompense for those that were harmed, but it can be the beginning of change for the better.
  At the very least it show progress for Canada in accepting Transgender people like us where as the American government is actively working to further marginalize us, if not actively working to eliminate us and other minority groups with in the USA.
  What further saddens me about your comments is that it reminds me of myself. Negative, bitter, disillusioned, and unable to see the good in things over the not so good. I am never that optimist. I have always been the critical one, the spoiler, and insensitive. Is it any wonder I have traveled through this life gathering very few friends to stand beside me in my times of need? Is it no wonder I don't like myself?
  Your posts sadden me and I hope you find a way out of your own bitterness before it's too late.

I apologize for my preaching ,extraaction.

Laurie

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Roll

Jesus, I had no idea Canada had such a checkered past with LGBT issues. Gay and lesbian people were considered a national security issue until the late 80s... the late freakin' 80s... That is way too recent for comfort. And "fruit machine", really?
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

extraaction

Quote from: Laurie on November 21, 2017, 10:25:39 AM
extraaction,

I am sorry to read your very strong  denouncement of this action. You are entitle to your opinion of course but I am sorry to see that you are unable to see the good in this acknowledgement of wrong doing by the Canadian government. You are correct that is does little in recompense for those that were harmed, but it can be the beginning of change for the better.
  At the very least it show progress for Canada in accepting Transgender people like us where as the American government is actively working to further marginalize us, if not actively working to eliminate us and other minority groups with in the USA.
  What further saddens me about your comments is that it reminds me of myself. Negative, bitter, disillusioned, and unable to see the good in things over the not so good. I am never that optimist. I have always been the critical one, the spoiler, and insensitive. Is it any wonder I have traveled through this life gathering very few friends to stand beside me in my times of need? Is it no wonder I don't like myself?
  Your posts sadden me and I hope you find a way out of your own bitterness before it's too late.

I apologize for my preaching ,extraaction.

Laurieg

I like myself and I like bitter. Dark chocolate and black coffee always have a place at my table. I dont have friends but I made a damn good family...the only ones I trust in a world of double crossing backstabbers.  The people around me make me not want friends.

And it doesnt much matter if the bottle is half empty or half full when its closing time and Im still sober.

Im a bit bitter, but Ive built a really nice life for myself and I value my bitterness.  You said you dont like yourself in your post.  Perhaps it is I who should be sad for you
beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes as deep as the soul
If you lack the strength to defend your beliefs, your beliefs aren't worth defending

The greatest gift you can give a demon is pretending it isn't real....
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: Roll on November 21, 2017, 03:00:35 PM
Jesus, I had no idea Canada had such a checkered past with LGBT issues. Gay and lesbian people were considered a national security issue until the late 80s... the late freakin' 80s... That is way too recent for comfort. And "fruit machine", really?
Look at it this way, Roll, dear;

Canada can have any anti discrimination laws it wants.
Its still up to human beings to enforce and control them.

It's come a long way, on paper, yes. Is there still more work to be done? Yes. Still, I count my blessings living here compared to some of the other horror shows on Earth.

Honestly I'm still waiting for the conservatives to get back in and decide assistance for transgender health 'isnt a necessary burden' on provincial healthcare..

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

•  

Tessa James

Oh Canada!

I hear immigration requests from the USA are way up after we got our 45th? ;)

Public acknowledgement that we even exist is a place to start.  I also agree that actions speak louder than words, eh?
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

aves

https://www.theglobeandmail.com///news/politics/feds-to-spend-145-million-to-compensate-victims-of-past-lgbtq-discrimination/article37101292/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globefb

I feel like there isn't anything they can really do to fix it for people. There is too much pain and suffering in the queer* past.

-aves
-aves
Sept 2017- First doctor's appointment; came out socially
Oct 2017- Came out to my extended family
Feb 2018- Endocrinologist appointment; let's hope this also means T!

English/Sociology student
  •