Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Ten Best Cities For LGBT Retirees

Started by MelissaPink, December 03, 2017, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelissaPink

I'm currently researching optimal cities to relocate and eventually retire in a few years.  Of course "must haves" are that they are socially liberal and have active LGBT communities.  I enjoy being able to walk and ride my bike in my neighborhood to cafes, coffee shops, book stores, yoga studios, etc. so I'm thinking the suburbs are off my list.  I'm also interested in residing near a college or university, art galleries, museums, parks and historical sites. Access to good healthcare is also a key factor.  I'm not asking for much am I?  ;D

I spent over a decade in California when I was in the Navy and well acquainted with the west coast. If money was no object I'd probably move to San Francisco or San Diego.  Unfortunately, finances are an issue and those cities are off my "possibles" list.  I found this "Money Magazine"  "Ten Best Cities For LGBT Retirees" and was intrigued by some of the cities listed.  I've never spend any time in Columbus, Ohio but I keep reading good things about it.  I currently reside in Tennesse and visit family in Michigan so the harsh winters don't deter me.  The other cities on this list are not surprising. (e.g. Austin, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando)  Any positive feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!   

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/articles/2017-03-09/the-10-best-cities-for-lgbt-retirees
Melissa

U.S. Navy Veteran

"Harm none do what ye will"
  •  

Dena

I was going to suggest Phoenix however it's already on the list. Phoenix is pretty spread out so unless you pick you neighborhood carefully, a car is important. While it is conservative, Phoenix has a live and let live attitude. With the amount of money made off tourist, that type of attitude is important. The only real downside for some people is the summers run 100 degrees or more for about 5 months. Locals tend to go outside at night or early morning and stay in air-conditioned comfort during the day. Winter temperatures rarely dip below freezing and day wear is mostly sweaters or sweatshirts with long pants.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

DawnOday

Seattle is a great place, especially Capital Hill. A short walk from the Pike place market is Ingersoll Gender Center. Last Wednesday we celebrated our 2102 consecutive weekly Wednesday or just over 40 years. Yes we have rain but that just means we migrate to the libraries, coffee houses. Five months out of the year are guaranteed perfect. The others, there will be rain. But you get used to it. Summer maintains a terrific 80 degrees and winter will occasionally hover in the 30's for about a month.Spring means, showers, sunshine and rainbows. Access to Safeco field which by the way has had it's roof closed a handful of times in about 18 years. Next door is Comcast Stadium. You want museums and art gallery's? Got em. Zoo's? Universities? UW, Seattle U. Art Institute, Seattle Pacific. Pretty good and improving transportation. https://www.visitseattle.org/things-to-do/lgbtq/
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

MelissaPink

Quote from: Dena on December 03, 2017, 12:14:10 PM
I was going to suggest Phoenix however it's already on the list. Phoenix is pretty spread out so unless you pick you neighborhood carefully, a car is important. While it is conservative, Phoenix has a live and let live attitude. With the amount of money made off tourist, that type of attitude is important. The only real downside for some people is the summers run 100 degrees or more for about 5 months. Locals tend to go outside at night or early morning and stay in air-conditioned comfort during the day. Winter temperatures rarely dip below freezing and day wear is mostly sweaters or sweatshirts with long pants.

Phoenix, Arizona is worth a look for sure.  I'll have a car I just prefer to be able to walk and bike about.  I'm politically very libertarian regarding the role of government and socially liberal on personal issues so I think that would be fine.  Basically, I just want to be accepted and left alone.  I don't want anyone forcing their political or religious ideology down my throat.  I have family in the Tucson area and know the broiling hot summers of Arizona quite well.  The real estate looks inviting and I like the access to backcountry areas and the presence of cultural and sporting events.  I'll definitely check it out. Thank you!

Quote from: DawnOday on December 03, 2017, 12:38:30 PM
Seattle is a great place, especially Capital Hill. A short walk from the Pike place market is Ingersoll Gender Center. Last Wednesday we celebrated our 2102 consecutive weekly Wednesday or just over 40 years. Yes we have rain but that just means we migrate to the libraries, coffee houses. Five months out of the year are guaranteed perfect. The others, there will be rain. But you get used to it. Summer maintains a terrific 80 degrees and winter will occasionally hover in the 30's for about a month.Spring means, showers, sunshine and rainbows. Access to Safeco field which by the way has had it's roof closed a handful of times in about 18 years. Next door is Comcast Stadium. You want museums and art gallery's? Got em. Zoo's? Universities? UW, Seattle U. Art Institute, Seattle Pacific. Pretty good and improving transportation. https://www.visitseattle.org/things-to-do/lgbtq/

I spent three wonderful years in the Seattle/Everett area in the mid 90's when I was in the Navy. I loved it there.  The weather didn't bother me at all. I have to be very cautious with my sun exposure because of skin cancer history so over cast and precipitation is just fine with me.  One of the best organic herb and vegetable gardens I ever grew was when I lived just outside Everett.   The only drawback for me seems to be the price of real estate but maybe I can work with that.  When I lived there my ex and I spent a lot of time exploring the city on foot in neighborhoods like Fremont, Place Place, Capitol Hill, etc.  I used to run daily on the Burke-Gilman Trail. I'm retired from distance running but still love to cycle and walk.

Thanks to you both for the candid and positive feedback!
Melissa

U.S. Navy Veteran

•  

DawnOday

You may check out SHAG for affordable apartments for seniors.  https://www.housing4seniors.com/ Only one is close to downtown in the international district. So glad you know about Seattles charms. I moved here 20 years ago from LA. Besides coming out. One of the best decisions I have ever made.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Brooke

Quote from: MelissaPink on December 03, 2017, 01:11:56 PM
Phoenix, Arizona is worth a look for sure.  I'll have a car I just prefer to be able to walk and bike about.  I'm politically very libertarian regarding the role of government and socially liberal on personal issues so I think that would be fine.  Basically, I just want to be accepted and left alone.  I don't want anyone forcing their political or religious ideology down my throat.  I have family in the Tucson area and know the broiling hot summers of Arizona quite well.  The real estate looks inviting and I like the access to backcountry areas and the presence of cultural and sporting events.  I'll definitely check it out. Thank you!

I spent three wonderful years in the Seattle/Everett area in the mid 90's when I was in the Navy. I loved it there.  The weather didn't bother me at all. I have to be very cautious with my sun exposure because of skin cancer history so over cast and precipitation is just fine with me.  One of the best organic herb and vegetable gardens I ever grew was when I lived just outside Everett.   The only drawback for me seems to be the price of real estate but maybe I can work with that.  When I lived there my ex and I spent a lot of time exploring the city on foot in neighborhoods like Fremont, Place Place, Capitol Hill, etc.  I used to run daily on the Burke-Gilman Trail. I'm retired from distance running but still love to cycle and walk.

Thanks to you both for the candid and positive feedback!
I'll also second Phoenix. I transitioned here, and have never really had an issue with public policy, doctors, safety etc. I actually was quite surprised at how much of a non issue transitioning was for every doctor I have(20+), socially- ie acquaintances, neighbors etc was also a non issue. I will say that their state run programs are aggravating and lackluster when it comes to lgbt policy, rights, and coverage. That being said I still feel/felt safe throughout my transition and after, was treating normal etc.

Certainly a live and let live attitude. There also seems to a lot of people that pass through Phoenix during their mid professional life and then move on. Results in a lack of ingrained culture, etiquette, belief/value systems. 

A car is definitely needed, as well as good AC, but if you can handle a bit of heat (okay a lot of heat!) it's a pretty good city.
  •  

Wanda Jane

San Antonio has treated me very well as I've come out. I've had no issues or encounters and ride my bike a lot. It also meets all your criteria, I believe. We also have a very low cost of living. I'm happy and staying.
  •  

MelissaPink

Quote from: Brooke on December 03, 2017, 02:50:12 PM
I'll also second Phoenix. I transitioned here, and have never really had an issue with public policy, doctors, safety etc. I actually was quite surprised at how much of a non issue transitioning was for every doctor I have(20+), socially- ie acquaintances, neighbors etc was also a non issue. I will say that their state run programs are aggravating and lackluster when it comes to lgbt policy, rights, and coverage. That being said I still feel/felt safe throughout my transition and after, was treating normal etc.

Certainly a live and let live attitude. There also seems to a lot of people that pass through Phoenix during their mid professional life and then move on. Results in a lack of ingrained culture, etiquette, belief/value systems. 

A car is definitely needed, as well as good AC, but if you can handle a bit of heat (okay a lot of heat!) it's a pretty good city.

I knew enough about Phoenix to know that a car is essential.  They also have a V.A. Medical Center that has a transgender medical clinic. It's also close enough to friends and destinations in southern California without dealing with the cost of living and state income taxes that make retiring their very prohibitive.

Quote from: Wanda Jane on December 03, 2017, 04:15:01 PM
San Antonio has treated me very well as I've come out. I've had no issues or encounters and ride my bike a lot. It also meets all your criteria, I believe. We also have a very low cost of living. I'm happy and staying.

San Antonio sounds like a great option too. I visited there once for a convention about twenty years ago.  I didn't see much other than the airport and the Riverwalk but others have said good things about the area. I'm glad that you're happy and staying.  For the record, I do like Memphis the city I currently call home. I own a beautiful home here that I couldn't afford in many other parts of the country.   We are in the buckle of the Bible Belt. Besides being transgender I'm also a Wiccan.  Outside of a few Memphis neighborhoods like Midtown and the area around the University of Memphis there isn't a lot of diversity and tolerance.  I've also been here over ten years and this girl is getting antsy and thinks a fresh start may be in order. 

Thanks again for taking the time to write about your community. 

Melissa

Melissa

U.S. Navy Veteran

•