Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Eight month update

Started by Jessica_Rose, December 04, 2017, 09:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

I am only out to a few people, but that will change soon. I plan to come out to my daughters after Christmas, the rest of my family in late February, then everyone else in late March. The brief glimpses of freedom I have experienced have made me long for more, and I expect my physical appearance will start to draw attention within a few months anyway. My anticipation of that final day as a male is growing daily.

In the last four months my estradiol level has risen from 52pg/mL to 65pg/mL and my testosterone levels have dropped significantly: free T dropped from 8.0pg/mL to 2.8pg/mL and total T went from 608ng/dL to 114ng/dL. Even with the lowered testosterone everything still works, but only when I want it to. Initially my doctor was not going to change my medications, but when I mentioned I was hoping for lower testosterone levels she bumped my spiro up a little. Maybe I should ask about bumping up my estradiol too!

I have lost about 20 pounds since starting estradiol. After shrinking about 2 inches my chest measurement is back to where it started, but that is due to some definite breast growth. I'm getting close to a 36A. My waist has gone from 31 inches down to 29. My hips have gone from 42 inches down to 39, but they have recently started getting bigger. My thighs have gone from 24 inches down to 22. When I was in 8th grade I wore size 40 pants. I am now 6ft 1in and weigh 155 pounds. The only co-worker who knows my secret said I was 'svelte', a term I never expected to hear. My doctor actually suggested that I gain a few pounds, also something I never expected to hear.

A few weeks ago I cleaned out my closets and donated a few hundred pounds of clothes to a local homeless shelter. Most of my men's shirts are gone, and I only kept one pair men's pants for future reference. When I started estradiol I wore size 16 womens jeans, now size 8-10 is comfortable. Unfortunately pants with 34-inch inseams are sometimes hard to find.

I have not had a haircut since 18 Dec 2016, but no one has asked about it. I keep it pasted down with mousse so know one can really tell how much hair I have. My skin is also getting smoother and more sensitive. After an electrolysis appointment it would usually only take an hour or so for any redness to fade, now it takes much longer.

My wife and I are both going to therapy, and after several rough months I think we are going to be OK. She seems to be more accepting every day. During one session the therapist mentioned she was surprised at how calm I was. The anger I have dealt with for over four decades is gone. Sometimes I smile for no reason, it makes people wonder what I am up to!

I am scheduled for a trachea shave on 4 January. The surgeon said my Adam's Apple is average sized, so he should be able to reduce it significantly without any issues. I guess I'll need some turtlenecks to hide the incision until it heals enough for some concealer.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Amie June

Hi Jessica Rose. Congrats on the wonderful progress in so many areas of your transition. It's very interesting to me as I get ready to begin HRT and I'm happy that you're experiencing these changes. It seems like your overall body shape is becoming very different! Wow, it must be gratifying to witness. And so much weight loss ( yes, "svelte" is wonderfully flattering). I worry about the weight loss because I'm underweight already and I could eventually look like a fashion model. At 60 ... not good :( But I'm staying active and lift weights so I'm hoping I don't disappear completely.

It sounds like you and your wife have done some good work in therapy. This is essential. I hope this strengthens your marriage as you continue with your transition and that you both can be happy and enjoy your lives together.

I understand the smiling. As I move closer to beginning taking meds I smile I whole lot more too :)

Lindy Lou

Came out to myself September 15, 2017
Stopped cutting my hair September 15, 2017
Started gender therapy September 28, 2017
Came out to two female friends and sister December 2017
Came out to adult daughter and her partner January 2018
First appointment with endocrinologist March 21, 2018
Started HRT March 23, 2018
Started laser treatment for facial hair June 28, 2018
Started electrolysis October 11, 2018

"You are woman
and you're beautiful.
Let the world see you."
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks Lindy Lou!

Most people have commented about gaining weight when they begin HRT. I was somewhat surprised when mine started dropping. My weight loss was due to a slight change in diet along with a change in my exercise routine. I stopped eating potato chips and reduced my diet sodas from three a day down to one a day. I also switched from using an exercise bike to a elliptical machine in February. Most of my weight loss occurred in the first four months, before I started spiro. My weight stabilized around 154lbs in July, but I have added about five pounds since my last checkup per my doctor's suggestion. She mentioned adding a few pounds may help increase my breast growth. At least this is the right time of year to be gaining weight!

It is good that you are staying in shape. Others have commented that staying in shape helps provide a good platform for the changes brought about by HRT. The changes have been slower that I expected, but it is amazing to see the changes progress as time passes.

My exercise performance is has been steadily improving even with the reduced testosterone, which is something that surprised me a little. I have never had much upper body strength, and I have not noticed much change there yet.

I think my wife has finally turned the corner. She is much more comfortable discussing transitioning with me. I know she is still not really happy about the situation, and I certainly can't blame her. I truly believe our life together will be much happier by taking this path.

The emotional change are a bit sneaky and may catch you off guard, but when they started for me it was like a whole new world opened up.  Although the physical changes will obviously help in passing, the emotional changes are the ones I really looked forward to. After forty years of anger, being able to experience joy again is indescribable. Take the time to enjoy the emotions.

My next big step is explaining this to my daughters next week. One is on her own on Wisconsin, and the other is in college in New Mexico. This is the only time all year they will both be home at the same time.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Amie June

Ah, diet and exercise. The keys to good health. It sounds like you're figuring out what works best for you, though eating less potato chips is quite a sacrifice :) Potatoes are one of my weaknesses and I enjoy them in every form. You've addressed something else I've been concerned about: changes in strength and energy on T. Of course we have reductions of both as we age but I'd hate to lose even a little. We'll see how this goes for me. After years of healthcare I've learned everything affects everyone differently.

Hats off to your wife for sharing this experience with you.  If the roles were reversed for any of us, I'm not sure if we'd have the skills, understanding or patience to get through it. In the arena of life experiences, it's a big one. Complicated too.

I had to comment on clothes too. I've been pre-transition for some time and have developed a very odd attitude towards my old male clothing. If I had to define it I'm not sure I could. I have a closet full of nice dress shirts but I can't bring myself to put one on. Same for trousers, even footwear. Life has become very complicated as I dress for the day, and I've been slowly adding women's/androgynous clothing into my wardrobe. It's become a real treat to shop at secondhand stores and I actually feel excited when I walk through the door.

Best of luck with your daughters! This is huge. I have an adult daughter too, and I've been rehearsing conversations with her. I've decided to approach the topic by explaining I have gender dysphoria, and then seeing where the talk goes. She's a tough one; I hope she doesn't react negatively.

Hope you have a peaceful, enjoyable and conflict-free holidays.

Hugs
Lindy Lou
Came out to myself September 15, 2017
Stopped cutting my hair September 15, 2017
Started gender therapy September 28, 2017
Came out to two female friends and sister December 2017
Came out to adult daughter and her partner January 2018
First appointment with endocrinologist March 21, 2018
Started HRT March 23, 2018
Started laser treatment for facial hair June 28, 2018
Started electrolysis October 11, 2018

"You are woman