News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Kathy's journey

Started by KathyLauren, December 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica on January 30, 2018, 10:03:04 AM
Kathy, life stories are never boring.  It brings the reader to your world.  What you may consider boring can be an affirmation of their own situation in life.

Couldn't have said it better!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 29, 2018, 07:48:03 PM
My posts recently have become boring.  Don't argue: they have.  It suddenly occurred to me why.  It's because I am not actively transitioning now.

I don't mean that I've put my transition on hold or anything.  I am not done yet, not by a long shot, and I intend to move forward with it as fast as I possibly can.  It's just that there's no real transitioning I can do at this moment.  I am wait-listed for seeing someone for my second surgery letter.  My birth certificate is in bureaucratic limbo for another year and a half.  My electrolysis continues, as does my HRT.  Steady as she goes.  Nothing to see here, folks.

So this is my first peek at the rest of my life.  Meeting friends for lunch.  Going grocery shopping.  Going to the theatre.  Taking the car in for servicing.  Getting used to myself just being me, rather than transitioning.
Hi Kathy, just catching up. I don't think your posts are getting boring. Living a normal everyday kind of life is what most of us here are aiming for. Reading stories such as yours, give people like me, who are not as far along in transition, hope that there actually is light at the end of the tunnel. Waking up in the morning and making it through a day just being "me", without thinking about trans stuff is what I want. I'm not there yet. Reading what you and others write, helps keep me focussed on the bigger picture. It gets me through the harder days. So please, keep making " boring" posts.

I'm kind of digging it!   [emoji1]
That is so awesome! That one line put a smile on my face. Thank you and congratulations!

Jayne
  •  

Faith

Kathy!!  I live for boring. Day-to-day boring normalcy means you've made it. I can't wait for the days that I realize that I am just living my life rather than wishing for it.

I used your words, there is nothing boring about living your life the way you want to and sharing it with those who care and you care about.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Faith on February 02, 2018, 06:45:03 AM
Kathy!!  I live for boring. Day-to-day boring normalcy means you've made it. I can't wait for the days that I realize that I am just living my life rather than wishing for it.

I used your words, there is nothing boring about living your life the way you want to and sharing it with those who care and you care about.
You are right, Faith.  I do enjoy the everyday normalcy of my life.  It doesn't make for good blogging, though.   ;)

May your life soon be as boring as mine.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KathyLauren

I discovered something interesting today about electrolysis.  The folks who recommend avoiding caffeine are right.

Last week, I only drank half my normal cup of tea at breakfast, and it made a significant difference to the pain level.  This morning, we ate out for breakfast and I almost had coffee, but I remembered in time.  So I had no coffee, no tea, just a glass of OJ and a glass of water.  (The folks who say to stay hydrated are right, too.)

Wow, what a difference!  The area of my neck with the most lidocaine cream on it was actually numb, as in zero pain, for most of the session.  That never happens.  And she didn't turn the phaser down to 'stun' the entire session.  The areas with less cream hurt, but not badly at all, and I was able to zone out and enjoy the music in my headphones for most of the time.

We get up before 7:00 am, and my appointment was at 3:00 pm, so even with an eight-hour gap, no caffeine in the morning makes a difference.

So, young'uns, when they say no caffeine before electrolysis, take it seriously.  That means no coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks, anything caffeine-related, at all for at least eight hours before the session.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 02, 2018, 04:52:10 PMSo, young'uns, when they say no caffeine before electrolysis, take it seriously.  That means no coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks, anything caffeine-related, at all for at least eight hours before the session.

And yet, on Wednesday I did everything right, and she still had to scrape me off the ceiling. I did exactly the same that I'd done with the previous session, which had been a breeze. This time we'd decided it would be the last session before we switch to the hot needle torture, and though she didn't say so, I think she set phasers on kill to clean up the last that it could. This was the first time it left marks. It looked like the Alien face-hugger had shown me some love. There was even one spot that was swollen for a day.

But y'all listen to your Aunts Kathy and Stephanie: lots of water, good sleep, no caffeine, 800mg ibuprofen 45 minutes before the procedure, and whatever numbing cream you use far enough beforehand so it has time to get working.

Then grit your teeth and take it. And spill your secrets without worry. We haven't told you anything that can compromise the operation.

"K" and "S"

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

As they say, YMMV.  Yes, I've had a few sessions where she had to scrape me off the ceiling. 

By any chance was she working on your upper lip area, Steph?  Because that area is the absolute worst.  I am on good terms with my dentist and I get her to freeze it when the electrocutioner is going to be working there.  There's nothing else that's legal that can handle it.
  •  

Laurie

Hi Kathy,

I just don't know about folks that have to find things out for themselves the hard way. Glad you finally got the message. And yes you are right  above the upper lip does hurt and the closer to the nose the worse it gets. Christina has elicited a tear or two from me there and I've had about 8 or 9 hours there so far and more to go. It does hurt but I haven't had to have a block yet.

QuoteThis time we'd decided it would be the last session before we switch to the hot needle torture

I suspect the above from Shorty down in the southeast is saying she's been getting laser and is starting real fun next time. She can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jayne01

NO CHOCOLATE?!?!??! ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!

Sounds like the phasers have attacked some brain cells. How can you say such a thing?

Did I say that out loud? Oops!

Do I have chocolate all over my face?

Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jayne01 on February 03, 2018, 10:49:59 AM
NO CHOCOLATE?!?!??! ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!

Sounds like the phasers have attacked some brain cells. How can you say such a thing?

Did I say that out loud? Oops!

Do I have chocolate all over my face?

Jayne
*Sigh*  I know.  Avoiding chocolate in order to feel better sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?  But, trust me on this, it is necessary.  However, chocolate afterwards, as a reward for enduring the suffering, makes total sense!
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 03, 2018, 11:17:40 AM
*Sigh*  I know.  Avoiding chocolate in order to feel better sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?  But, trust me on this, it is necessary.  However, chocolate afterwards, as a reward for enduring the suffering, makes total sense!
Now your talking.
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 02, 2018, 04:52:10 PM
Last week, I only drank half my normal cup of tea at breakfast, and it made a significant difference to the pain level.  This morning, we ate out for breakfast and I almost had coffee, but I remembered in time.  So I had no coffee, no tea, just a glass of OJ and a glass of water.  (The folks who say to stay hydrated are right, too.)

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 02, 2018, 05:43:09 PM
Yes, I've had a few sessions where she had to scrape me off the ceiling.

Well, today, I did everything right: no tea or coffee (even though I slept poorly and really wanted some), plenty of water, lots of lidocaine, applied in plenty of time, covered perfectly.  And yet it was still a "scrape me off the ceiling" session!

It seems that I have more trouble getting my left side numb than the right side.  Last week, she did the right side and it was great.  The week before, it was the left side again, and I ended the session in tears.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that one side is ouchier than the other?  It seems pretty weird to me.

Next week, it will be the upper lip.  Ahh, relief!  I have booked an appointment with my dentist to get shot up beforehand.
  •  

Anne Blake

Kathy, I have noticed that my right side gives me more pain than my left (but not always). I also noticed and my electrocutioners agree that hair removal or hair regrowth is different from side to side. For me, my right side is clearing more completely than my left. The electrocutioners say that one side is usually different but it is not consistent from one client to another.

Tia Anne
  •  

Laurie

If you aren't doing it already rub the numbing cream in for a first coating then do another and a final layer without.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

HappyMoni

Kathy,
   I truly think some days are just more painful then others. It might be bio-rhymes or something. I usually have my shoes off and when I have pain I rub my feet together and concentrate on that. You can only think about one thing at one time. Give yourself another focus and it will help. I go in two weekends for hopefully my last face clearing. I can go a week without shaving and no one notices. It's been a long road. You'll get there.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 06, 2018, 05:41:11 PM
Kathy, I have noticed that my right side gives me more pain than my left (but not always). I also noticed and my electrocutioners agree that hair removal or hair regrowth is different from side to side. For me, my right side is clearing more completely than my left. The electrocutioners say that one side is usually different but it is not consistent from one client to another.
Thanks, Tia Anne!  It makes sense that each side has its own nerves that might respond differently.  It's good to know that that is a thing.

Quote from: Laurie on February 06, 2018, 05:42:37 PM
  If you aren't doing it already rub the numbing cream in for a first coating then do another and a final layer without.
I've been doing that.  In fact, I did two coats rubbed in, and then trowelled on a top coat.  Obviously I need to do it more on that side.

Quote from: HappyMoni on February 06, 2018, 06:56:49 PMIt might be bio-rhymes or something. I usually have my shoes off and when I have pain I rub my feet together and concentrate on that. You can only think about one thing at one time. Give yourself another focus and it will help.
Yes, it could be just timing.  I am actually pretty good at mindfulness meditation, and I always have some music in the headphones.  On a good day, I can totally escape from the room and just listen to the music while (it seems like) someone else gets zapped in the next room.  But when I get zapped up onto the ceiling, well, you're right, there's only one thing I can think of, and that's it!

Congrats on being almost done.  *Envy!*
  •  

Laurie

A long road indeed and I think you are right Mawwaunie. Some days are just more intense.

Congrats one you final clear.

Hugs,
  Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

Hi, Kathy!  Like Anne Blake, I have differences side-to-side.  The right cheek is more sensitive than the left for me, although both have 'hot spots' that are very sensitive.  There's some nerve damage on the left cheek that leaves some areas quite insensitive (leftovers from Mohs cancer surgeries).

Skin sensitivity varies quite a bit in different areas, and even over a few millimeters.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Jayne01

My tolerance varies from visit to visit. Sometimes I can do the mindfulness think well and can get by without any numbing cream. Other times it instantly causes a massive leakage in my eye plumbing. Different areas have varying sensitivity also. It depends how stubborn the hair follicle is. Some parts of my neck have these thick, curved hairs which make it difficult to get the probe inserted, I can certainly feel those when they get zapped.

Jayne
  •