Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hormones, Hot Flashes, Fruity Solution?

Started by dawnforever86, December 07, 2017, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawnforever86

Hi Everyone!

So I have a question regarding hormone balancing, and I was wondering if anyone else had experience in this area. So when I began (E injections and Spiro), I would have hot flashes the day before my injection. At first, I thought it might be that amount of the injection, but after appropriately increasing my dose, nothing really changed. So I just wrote it off as something I'd have to learn to deal with. But recently I ate a grapefruit (not knowing at the time that it increases E levels temporarily), and it's the day before my injection... no hot flashes!

I use an app (Medisafe) to track my daily meds, as well as what I eat and drink. My E came up saying that it had a reaction with grapefruit, so I started looking into it. Grapefruit apparently raises some E levels and peaks around 8 hours before dropping again... I'm wondering if by eating that fruit the day before my usual hot flashes, I'm circumventing them, or if it might just be coincidence.

Than you all for any replies or insight into this!
  •  

Devlyn

My understanding is that the grapefruit prevents the body from metabolizing the estrogen out, resulting in a higher level in the body.
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, Dawn!

Welcome to Susan's.  Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.

Interesting discovery.  I had heard about this interaction before.  I would just caution anyone thinking to manipulate their E levels this way to clear it with your prescribing doctor first.

Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Dena

This is something you need to discuss with your endo. People may be more sensitive to their estrogen drop or estrogen may drop at different rates. The normal solution would be more frequent injections at a lower dosage so your estrogen level don't drop as much between injections. As for grape fruit, that's something else you  need to discuss with your endo. Occasional consumption isn't a problem but regular consumption should be reviewed by a doctor.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •