Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

coming out to extended family

Started by elc, December 17, 2017, 01:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elc

Hi, so im a 15 year old transgender male and recently i came out to my family which resulted in me being able to legally change my name and go on hormones, etc.. but i havent actually come out to any of my extended family except for changing my name on facebook, which i dont think counts.

Im going to be seeing a lot of them over the holidays and im not sure how to bring it up. should i just tell them that i changed my name and want to be addressed with he/him pronouns? im just really worried and i dont know who all is alright with this because my family is sort of this "indirect homophobic" so im guessing that being trans wont be amazing in their eyes. if anyone has any advice itd be hugely appreciated.
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, elc!

Welcome to Susan's.  Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.

Congratulations on coming out to your immediate family.  That's often the hardest step.

Can your parents or other family members to whom you are already out fill you in on who might be an ally in your extended family?  It is usually best to start with the most supportive people first.

One thing to consider: if you are out on Facebook, you are out to the entire world.  So, if the members of your extended family are on Facebook, they may already know.  They might not know the details, but they would know something is up.  That might be a way to ease into the conversation: "Did you notice that I'd changed my name on Facebook?"

Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •