Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

No-Shave November is over, but I am not shaving - yet.

Started by ainsley, December 01, 2017, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylo

The reason I pulled you up there is because you were stating that a bunch of stuff absolutely does not happen in the animal kingdom as if you personally knew it was the case and were an animal psychic as well as some sort of biologist who had studied it. I figured that you didn't really care, and that you also had an agenda in your statement you were trying to put forward.

The truth is that we don't know exactly the nature of homosexual activity among animals, or the reasons for. We can only speculate and gather data at this point. You don't know, and I don't know. One day scientists might know.

Obviously human beings are more complex in behavior than animals, but they are still animals and they have all the basic animal wiring. Until we - who can talk and recognize ourselves in mirrors and self-aggrandize 'till the cows come home - can answer the question of precisely why we ourselves engage in hetero- or homo-sexual behavior, we can't make serious statements about why animals do it, can we. But the main pull up point was that quite a few species do engage in same sex relations, and it can't be assumed to be purely aggression or dominance based, given the observations.

Anyway, OT: I have heard of this no shave November but I'm not sure its purpose. Is it a charity thing? Or just an opportunity for men as a group to be able to not shave for a while and see how it looks?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: Viktor on December 08, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
Anyway, OT: I have heard of this no shave November but I'm not sure its purpose. Is it a charity thing? Or just an opportunity for men as a group to be able to not shave for a while and see how it looks?

I am not sure about the reason, and it may have to do with deer season in the USA and the guys not shaving as part of their prep for hunting season?  I don't know, but I know a lot of the men around here grow a beard for hunting season in Nov.  At any rate, I must confess, I am well into a no shave December. LOL  My wife had to wear a maxi skirt today because she is a shaving slacker, too.  ha!
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: ainsley on December 11, 2017, 07:09:24 AM
I am not sure about the reason, and it may have to do with deer season in the USA and the guys not shaving as part of their prep for hunting season?
It's about men's health awareness, especially about prostate cancer.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember.

I guess the awareness part of it is a fail.   :-\
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 11, 2017, 10:49:35 AM
It's about men's health awareness, especially about prostate cancer.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember.

I guess the awareness part of it is a fail.   :-\

https://no-shave.org/

Is is for Cancer awareness:

No-Shave November has been a tradition for many years, but it wasn't until the fall of 2009 that members of the Chicagoland Hill family decided to use it as a means to raise money for charity. It was a project that held special meaning to the eight Hill children after their father, Matthew Hill, passed away from colon cancer in November 2007.

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Kylo

Thanks for clearing that up - a Google search gave me some quite mixed results as to exactly what it was for in the present. Some people I know do the no-shave thing but it's never been mentioned to have anything to do with cancer or charity by them. It's like it's been absorbed into pop culture as a thing to do now with some of the meaning from the origin having been lost, at least where I am. (Although even then, not many people locally seem to have heard of it).
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

ainsley

Well, I have, admittedly, co-opted No Shave November for my own purposes.  However, since I am a stage 4 colon cancer survivor, I feel like it was ok to co-opt it. :D

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Viktor on December 08, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
The reason I pulled you up there is because you were stating that a bunch of stuff absolutely does not happen in the animal kingdom as if you personally knew it was the case and were an animal psychic as well as some sort of biologist who had studied it. I figured that you didn't really care, and that you also had an agenda in your statement you were trying to put forward.

The truth is that we don't know exactly the nature of homosexual activity among animals, or the reasons for. We can only speculate and gather data at this point. You don't know, and I don't know. One day scientists might know.

Obviously human beings are more complex in behavior than animals, but they are still animals and they have all the basic animal wiring. Until we - who can talk and recognize ourselves in mirrors and self-aggrandize 'till the cows come home - can answer the question of precisely why we ourselves engage in hetero- or homo-sexual behavior, we can't make serious statements about why animals do it, can we. But the main pull up point was that quite a few species do engage in same sex relations, and it can't be assumed to be purely aggression or dominance based, given the observations.

Viktor all that I know is what I have witnessed in Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain lions, Wolf packs and other animals that pack to hunt with the exception of feline species, pack up to hunt and have a hierarchy. The felines have a totally different approach than canines. Felines will kill and eat their young because they may see then as a potential threat toward mating. Fox species will too. All I know is only what I have seen. Yes I tried to do the whole man thing.

When I was 18 and 20 I spent winters in Northern Wyoming in what some would call line shack in the old west. It was a commercial cattle ranch more or less but still the same work and freezing your ass off and building fires in a wood burning heater. the wood was there, the food was there to last the whole winter and I brought all my girly stuff. Even toys. :embarrassed: Wyoming winters last a long time and I was alone most of the time so... Don't judge Wyoming by what happened in the 90s with they gay guy because you will find killers everywhere and that includes NYC and LA. I would have to ride everyday looking for cows and yes there were wolves in the area along with coyotes that would pack up to hunt bigger game. I was privy to a horse, snowmobile and three wheeler ATV. I drove there with my own horse and Jeep also my own guns too. So when the weather was nice I would ride my horse out to check if any cows were in the area. I have seen so many coyotes, wolf pack and even a couple of bears on my outings and I would watch them.

So I can take biology in a college course and be a full blown PHD holder in Biology but I saw it firsthand though. I have no idea what the wolves were thinking. Maybe they are horny but never ever saw the little "lipstick" thingy come out of the male wolves humping other males. All I really know is what I have witnessed. Now when it came March and April and the early part of May they didn't hump anymore for what I would say dominance but they would fight for their Hierarchy and mating rights. Even in may it is still cold up there and I have witnessed the mating habits too. Dogs get stuck while mating and even I know that being from the south and having dogs. Wolves are no different because one time and only one time I have seen two coyotes mating when a black bear walked up on them and they could not come apart. Both snarled and would have fought even though a few minutes before they were snarling and biting one another. The Black bear left and went on and ended up finding the >-bleeped-< I left out for them.

But then again I don't have a PHD in Biology either but I have taken a some courses but I have no agenda to prove. Yet I do hold a degree in Psychology and will tell you right now that we do not need any kind of justification for what we do as humans. We are a species that is set apart from instincts of the animal kingdom. We know ourselves and whatever else including who we love and what who we feel attraction toward.

Viktor I am a trans woman and I feel attraction toward men. I don't need any excuse nor will I ever search for a reason outside of the human soul or spirit. If certain people or groups don't like it then they know what they can do and what they can kiss and my horse died from old age so I will saddle her up so they can ride her there.

So all I know is from what I have witnessed while sometimes carrying a "big stick that shot fire from the end" just in case but it is from first hand accounts. I have no agenda nor do I need funding by some political action group. I would love to see homosexual or trans gender species in the animal kingdom. But all I have seen is dominance and submissiveness. Now when a canid that is bottom gets a little hard and the 'lipstick comes out of the tube' for the one getting humped I may think different but I have never witnessed it personally. I have seen it come out of the dominate male though but that is just a reaction like being "drunk on power". But then again I don't know what a canine is thinking and PHDs in biology don't either.

Just be careful of science because scientists need funds from the governments in the way if grants. So the more you agree with a political party the more money you will receive when they are in power.

But there need not be any kind of justification for anything other than killing for self defense. We love who we love and we are who we are and Anthropology, Archeology and History has proven that humans can be trans or homosexuals by nature in some instances. Trying to explain the human mind with the animal's mind is sort of like taking away from the complexity of the human mind. It is no different than trying to compare human spirituality by religious doctrines.

So Viktor look past all of that that I laid out and just be you. Who cares? I do and you do and everyone else should too but the only person we matter too is our selves and that may sound selfish but not really. DNA is specific to a species. So we have about 93 percent the same DNA with Chimpanzees but we evolved and Chimps didn't. ??? What does that tell you? It tells me that humans are not Chimpanzees and somehow we have smart phones, the internet, learned how to rid and use horses, learned how to make fire from sticks and or rocks with a spark in a bundle of dried refuge. With all of that aside we learned how to make and internal combustion engine, harness the ages of our past and drill for it, learned how to be human, for some anyway.  Now we know where we are in the Universe and can see the whole of the universe but I still think there is something we are missing though. ??? We know how to split atoms to release a great amount of energy to either power our cities or destroy others. We have been to the Moon and yes Chimps were sent into space but I don't agree with it because they had no choice.  We as humans do.

So you see where I am coming from. Chimpanzees, our closest relative to the past, are sometimes cannibalistic. We are not except is some severe cases like the Donner Party in NV/CA. They did what they had to do to survive but I don't think anyone killed anyone except possibly for one that I heard of.

So Viktor don't worry about scientific facts. Get out and make your own mind up. It is so easy to listen to those that claim to know more but when you see things firsthand it ain't so easy anymore. Then you have to come to your own conclusions by what you witness. Take Climate Change for instance. I believe in it. Do I think mankind is causing it? Not so much because the climate has been much warmer and way more colder way before humans came about on the scene. Do I think mankind maybe influencing it one way or the other? Yes. But not enough to make as big a difference as Meteorologists and Climatologists are making it out to be.

So you really have to take everything into consideration like Climate Change. One thing I have never heard blamed for Climate Change is urban areas AKA big cities. This is another thing I have witnessed first hand while driving through Atlanta GA, Dallas TX, Houston TX and so on. How many big cities do we have in the United States? NYC, LA, NOLA, and on it goes. I went through Atlanta one winter and it was a little foggy on the eastern side and foggy on the western side but the closer I got to ATL the more it rained. It is the same with all big cities. So who is causing Global Climate Change? Those that live in the country that drive an F350 duelly or those that take busses everyday to work that live in an uptown Studio apartment claiming the world is going to end when ranchers drive their diesel pickups filled with hey to feed their horses. Can you really blame climate change on cow farts?

Why did I say all that? We tend to vote by what we believe and the more BS we are told and believe the more we will vote. Personally I believe everyone should let nature take back the cities and everyone should spread out evenly. Someone that is living in a space of 1000 square feet in an apartment for 2000 dollars per month, leave and go in lesser civilized areas. ::) I have been to LA, NYC Chicago, NO and other major cities and I feel more accepted by so called "dumb rednecks" than in these other areas that is non specific. Humanity is not limited by political beliefs, religious beliefs or even society itself. It is changing and we are evolving beyond that and the ones that don't evolve are the ones we have to fear. That is sociology. So Science seems to be a political arm for one party and Religion a political arm for the other side but humans are not political puppets just like humans are not religious puppets either.

You my dear are a human. I am too and I don't need an animal to justify who I am and what I am. I am just me Viktor. I will never use and excuse or anything else nor will I ever apologize unless I am wrong about something. I am nothing more than me and I am unique and sometimes even special. Hell we all are. :P
  •  

Kylo

Science isn't flawless and nor are scientists, but I'm going to go with established peer-reviewed facts and observations on animal behavior over your claim. Especially since you're not an animal behaviorist and seem to support the idea you don't need scientific evidence to make sweeping statements about things. (Plus you said you don't even really care about the topic). Call it a biologist's prerogative to prefer the deductive nature of the biological sciences over the part-presumptive ones of psychology, which I don't believe to be a complete "science" as yet. Especially when so many people bizarrely seem to think evolution STOPS above the neck, and psychology has little to do with it, lol. It's almost as if they want to deny the biological realities human beings are also subject to, just like other organisms, in order to maintain blame upon "social constructs" isn't it...

By the way, I wasn't making any judgements on you or your life. I am only pointing out you don't have all the facts on why animals screw other animals of the same sex, and you seemed to have some sort of bias or agenda towards claiming they only ever do it for one reason only, and toward widening the separation between animals and human. I want to correct that because I was a biologist and I've seen bodies of evidence on animal behavior that would contradict your claim.

No apology or justification is expected here - but if you were in the science department of any university it would be. I dislike seeing assumptions presented as if facts. Odd to see from someone who holds a degree in psychology. But then social sciences and psychology do not operate like the other sciences. The social sciences seem increasingly prone to pump out a lot of assertions that cannot be proven lately, with increasing numbers of people within them actually denying established science (such as those who claim there is no such thing as biological sex) without much in the way of real evidence to back up their assertions. It's quite concerning in the case of that last example, and also when they bang on about men and women being identical biologically and mentally when it's clear even statistically that they aren't, and are ignoring whole bodies of psychology work, brain structural studies and so on. I'm not sure some of these people are actually interested in 'doing science' at all, but rather in social change agendas. But I digress. (And I'm sure this matters about as much as a ball of lint to you and most others).

QuoteSo Viktor don't worry about scientific facts. Get out and make your own mind up.

It's quite difficult to take this, and what else you've said above, along with you saying you hold a degree in psychology, and honestly put any more faith in the social sciences. You've basically said

a) who cares
b) make your own mind up about things instead of seeking to establish facts with evidence
c) Any comparison with animals somehow dehumanizes human beings, so we shouldn't ever talk about how they are similar to animals, or perhaps you think there's nothing at all we can learn from animal behavior
d) are saying climate change can't be caused by farming practices (that's a big contributor to it apparently, but moreso the big industrial output nations like China at this point are. Perhaps ask my mother, she's one of the world's leading scientists on the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and how the world's flora responds to those atmospheric changes, I'm not) 
c) because chimpanzees haven't been to the moon etc. we should ignore all the aspects of animal behavior humans hold in kind with other mammals and especially great apes - too numerous for me to go into here until you want me to, though I suspect you won't - and somehow claim we're nothing like animals? That's just untenable. Human beings have more in common with animals like chimps in their behavior than they don't - everything from forming 'tribes', having wars (yes, several chimp troops have been recorded as having long-term wars between chimps from other regions), to the structure of their troop society, to the behavioral traits and proclivities differences in aggression and bonding behaviors between male and female chimps.

But yes, I get it. You don't really give a rat's for the subject, and you probably don't think biological science has much to do with human behavior. Which is disturbing considered you're post academic, but... not my problem I suppose. 
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Viktor on December 11, 2017, 05:20:04 PM
Science isn't flawless and nor are scientists, but I'm going to go with established peer-reviewed facts and observations on animal behavior over your claim. Especially since you're not an animal behaviorist and seem to support the idea you don't need scientific evidence to make sweeping statements about things. Plus you said you don't even really care about the topic. Call it a biologist's prerogative to prefer the deductive nature of the biological sciences over the part-presumptive ones of psychology, which I don't believe to be a complete "science" as yet. Especially when so many people bizarrely seem to think evolution STOPS above the neck, lol.

By the way, I wasn't making any judgements on you or your life. I am only pointing out you don't have all the facts on why animals screw other animals of the same sex, and you seemed to have some sort of bias or agenda towards claiming they only ever do it for one reason only. I want to correct that because I was a biologist and I've seen bodies of evidence on animal behavior that would contradict your claim.

No apology or justification is expected here - but if you were in the science department of any university it would be. I dislike seeing assumptions presented as if facts. Odd to see from someone who holds a degree in psychology. But then social sciences and psychology do not operate like the other sciences. The social sciences seem increasingly prone to pump out a lot of assertions that cannot be proven lately, with increasing numbers of them actually denying established science (such as those who claim there is no such thing as biological sex) without much in the way of real evidence to back up their assertions. It's quite concerning in the case of that last example, and also when they bang on about men and women being identical biologically and mentally when it's clear even statistically that they aren't, and are ignoring whole bodies of psychology work, brain structural studies and so on. I'm not sure some of these people are actually interested in 'doing science' at all, but rather in agendas. But I digress. (And I'm sure this matters about as much as a ball of lint to you and most others).

Like I said Viktor all I know is what I witnessed in the wild. I have lived with these animals and may have become prey to them at one time or another. Can a PHD in Biology say that? I can at least. I have even fed them.

Just because I have a degree in psychology don't mean that I don't know nature.

The thing about biology is that it is not limited. I live in the deep south now and Alligators have their own behavior but down here they are the apex predator. In Wyoming the wolves were the apex predator. I have been in the water with Alligators. Have you? How many Biologists have? My guess is probably not many. That is the problem my friend, people think they know animals and I don't and no one does. They are driven not by reason but by instinct. I had a Coyote pup as a kid and it bit me. I hit that SOB so hard that it never bit me again. I almost killed it even. That may sound harsh but that is what the coyote does. My Grandma was 1/4 Ogallala Sioux so... She definitely believed in nature and always said she would kill my "dog" and make me a hat. She never did but she could have.

Look man. Science does not know animals. No on does. Either you are or you are not. Learning in a class room or video is way different than experiencing first hand.

Yes I am all about Psychology but don't count that out because animals have a psychology too and all their own. So understanding the mind is not just limited to humans but all beings in the animal kingdom. I just happen to understand and have been lucky enough to see wild canines, and I am lucky to have lived among them and even possible prey to them.
  •  

Devlyn

Ughhh! This thread's all scratchy and prickly. I'm springing for the
razors, please clean yourselves up ya bunch of porcupines!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kylo

Yes, and I've kept a multitude of pets and seen plenty of animals in the wild. That's anecdotal, what matters are the statistics and number of wild observations in establishing facts. Also, by feeding them, you're altering the conditions of their behavior. Which is why scientists studying animals in the wild don't interact with them, or it's no longer the conditions of "the wild" for those animals, is it. They are not going to behave naturally when someone comes along and gives them free food.

Science, I'm afraid, is in a better position to establish the facts of animal sex behavior from thousands of collated studies than one person who claims they've hung around with alligators and "knows nature" and also has a bias against the idea animals are in any way close to human beings. I've been to some extreme places on this earth and studied plenty of animals myself, plus I go out and hunt frequently - but science is in a better position than I am on the whole to talk about animal sex behavior. I might possibly have encountered the gayest dogs to have ever existed but that doesn't mean I can assert dogs have an established culture of lesbianism, lol. Nor would I - I didn't say dogs or any other animal are homosexuals or have homosexual feelings. I said they've been spotted engaging in same sex activity above and beyond what might be required for dominance display. Nor can you seriously assert that they only ever do what they do because you've hung around with a few and think dominance is the only reason ANY animal EVER engages in it, because you 'just know'. As I said I don't know why they do it. But they do appear to do it for more than just dominance in some species. You seem to interpret the idea an animal may do it for more than dominance as some sort of threat to your notions of the human being's intellectual or spiritual supremacy.

But I do suspect like many sociologists you're putting human behavior down to constructs and not biological realities. That you think human behavior is without biological limit or that biology itself is without limit suggests this. Of course biology on Earth and therefore human beings have limits - food, water, air, carbon and genetics for starters. That you think biologists sit in classrooms also - no, the modern researchers of animal behavior typically go out into the field (wild) now to study because they have long since established laboratory or zoo conditions produce unnatural behavior or even mental illness in caged animals. Plenty of 'em are out there with alligators, et al. I was a marine zoologist so, yeah, I've been out there with aquatic life, in the wild, incidentally. And in deserts. I'm not a desk jockey whose closest encounter with anything natural is Google images.

Anyway, yes. Veering off topic here. Apologies to admins.
  •  

ainsley

Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Jenntrans

The man got it right. Body hair sux and I have even grown it but Holy Hell there is definitely a Hygienic factor involved. Hair holds sweat. Hair provides insulation sort of. I mean the times that I stopped shaving, at the end of the day just sitting and driving I could smell the difference and feel the difference. But then again it is all about preference and your body is your own. Personally I like mine hairless It is way easier to clean and way easier to dry after a bath or shower and if you have to go a day without it smells better. But a dermatologist told me that although shaving comes with it's own discomforts and hazards, being totally hairy does too and maybe even more so. Yes ingrown hairs suck but when hairless the clothing soaks up the sweat but with hair the clothing still does but the hair will also keep a small amount next to your skin and bacteria breed there. But then again you can get infected ingrown too. So...???

But it comes down to personal preference though. Personally I prefer a man to trim at least chest and legs and even underarms. They don't have to shave. On me I prefer hairless. It just seems cooler in a hot and humid area and I don't stink as much if I have to wear long pants, long sleeve shirt and so on. But hell if guys would try panties instead of boxers or tighties they may find the panties are way more comfortable. :embarrassed:
  •  

Julia1996

Is it not common for guys to at least trim their pubes? I asked my boyfriend to trim his and he said guys don't do that. I wasn't asking him to shave it, just trim it with clippers. I even him offered to do it for him but he doesn't want to. Just for looks I don't care if his pubes are bushy I just hate getting pubic hair in my mouth and teeth.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Julia1996 on December 15, 2017, 01:02:08 PM
Is it not common for guys to at least trim their pubes? I asked my boyfriend to trim his and he said guys don't do that. I wasn't asking him to shave it, just trim it with clippers. I even him offered to do it for him but he doesn't want to. Just for looks I don't care if his pubes are bushy I just hate getting pubic hair in my mouth and teeth.

LOL Julia. Yeah it is pretty common for guys to trim their pubes. They just may not want you to know they do. But I will say that if you ask him too because it bothers you and he don't want to then maybe let him see. >:-) maybe even just stop going there until he gets the hint. :o

My BF had long hair on his chest which looks good but bothers the hell out of me when I lay my head there. I heard the same thing along with somewhere else too. It is really hard to be loving when it tickles you nose so much and you end up messing with your nose so much that you can't have "pillow talk" with your head laid on his chest. But then again we have been together for a while so. In the beginning I just dealt with it because I was too embarrassed to tell him. :embarrassed:

But like I said before it is preference and I can't judge anyone for what they do with their own bodies. But I can voice what I like to my lover though and ask them.
  •